Nurse- Chief ,Patient Care Services, Surgical Healthcare Group
Vacancy is open to Tibor Rubin VA Medical Center Employees only.
This position is located at the VA Long Beach Healthcare System. The incumbent serves as the Chief, Patient Care Services for theSurgical Healthcare Group (HCG). As a member of the Health Care Group Executive Management Team, the Chief, Patient Services assists with the overall administration of nursing staff and allied health personnel. Responsibilities include assessing, planning, implementing and evaluating programs to meet present and future needs. Collaborates with the Nurse Executive on professional nursing issues and serves as an administrative resource for patient care activities, personnel management, organizational issues, and policy interpretation. Assists with the development of short and long-range goals, ensuring that the mission, vision, and goals remain consistent with that of the Healthcare System. Ensures the application and utilization of policies, procedures, and standards of personnel are consistent. Supervises Program Managers and accepts responsibility for their professional development. Designs, implements and evaluates patient care delivery systems, ensuring the delivery of quality care and efficient utilization of human and material resources. Ensures the distribution and supervision of personnel, which results in safe and therapeutic care. Participates in staffing analyses, recommends adjustments based on projected, actual, internal and external influences. Evaluates and prioritizes the educational needs of personnel, ensuring appropriate learning activities/resources are provided. Analyzes patient care problems in a comprehensive and systematic manner, utilizing creative and innovative approaches to achieve problem resolution. Analyzes results of Performance Improvement (PI) activities, reviewing recommendations and assisting with decisions related to PI. Utilizes current management techniques to motivate managers, clinicians, fostering job satisfaction and facilitating retention. Collaborates with the Education, Resources and Affiliations program office to plan, develop and implement clinical and management orientation and development programs. Collaborates with other Health Care Groups throughout the Healthcare System, serving as a designated representative for selected committees, projects and other assignments.BASIC REQUIREMENTS:
- Current, Full, andunrestrictedlicensure as a registered nurseis required; may be in any state or U.S. territory.
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing. The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing.(Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6)
MSN or Masters in related field with BSN.
Doctoral degree in nursing or related field
Experience:Surgical Careexperience is required.
If you posses a Master's degree: 4-5 years of specialized nursing experience is required. Specialized experience is defined as nursing experience in the delivery and management of patient care directly related toSurgical Careservices to include both in-patient and out-patient treatment services. Specialized experience must include working in a complex nursing unit with daily contact with patients, nurses, and physicians, handling both clinical and administrative issues with varying degrees of scope and complexity. Such experience must also include working with multiple stakeholders, both internal and external to the unit in order to meet patient needs, and healthcare system goals. Outstanding verbal and written communication skills are required.
If you posses a PhD: 3-4 years of specialized nursing experience is required. Specialized experience is defined as nursing experience in the delivery and management of patient care directly related toSurgical Care services to include both in-patient and out-patient treatment services. Specialized experience must include working in a complex nursing unit with daily contact with patients, nurses, and physicians, handling both clinical and administrative issues with varying degrees of scope and complexity. Such experience must also include working with multiple stakeholders, both internal and external to the unit in order to meet patient needs, and healthcare system goals. Outstanding verbal and written communication skills are required.
* Experience with process improvement projects, performance improvement projects, and exceeding performance measures in the delivery of nursing care.
* A proven track record for managing multiple projects on different schedules with multiple work/nursing units.
* Three years of supervisory nursing experience.
* ANCC certfication as in Nurse Executive and/or Acute Care nurse.
* Experience with outpatient scheduling is highly preferred.
This position is a Nurse IV, selected candidates will be forwarded to the VA Central Office Nurse Professional Standards Board. The Board will determine whether candidates meet the required dimensions of nursing at the Nurse IV level.
The criteria are as follows:
- Practice: practice, ethics and resource utilization;
- Professional Development: performance, education/career development;
- Collaboration; collaboration, collegiality;
- Scientific Inquiry: quality of care, research.
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE MAY NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE.
Physical Requirements: Light Lifting, under 15 pounds, light carrying, under 15 pounds, pulling hand over hand 1.5 hours (varies), pushing, 1 hour (varies), reaching above shoulder, use of fingers, walking (12 hours-varies), Standing (12 hours-varies), repeated bending (4 hours varies), climbing, legs only (.2 hours-varies), both legs required (prosthetics OK), ability for rapid mental and muscular coordination simultaneously, near vision correctable at 12" to 16" to Jaeger 1 to 4, must have good vision in one eye. Hearing (aid permitted).
Veterans' Preference: When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference on the Occupational Questionnaire in the section provided and provide a legible copy of your DD214(s) and/or documentation related to your active duty service which shows dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), or dates of impending separation.
Additionally, disabled veterans and others eligible for 10-point preference (such as widows or mothers of eligible Veterans) must also submit an SF-15 "Application for 10 Point Veterans Preference" with required proof as stated on the form.?, For more information, please review the information for disabled Veterans in the application checklist or visit http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/index.aspx.
Applicants may also submit the following supporting document type(s),which may not be required for all applicants:*SF-50
VA Form 10-2850a - Application for Nurses and Nurse Anesthetists (Available http://vaww4.va.gov/vaforms/medical/pdf/vha-10-2850a-fill.pdf) (required).
Please use this checklist to make sure you have included other documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), documentation to support Veterans Preference claims, or ICTAP/CTAP documentation (for displaced Federal employees). You will not be contacted for additional information.Faxing Applications or Supporting Documents:
You are encouraged to apply online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application.
NOTE: If you applied online and your application is complete, do not fax the paper application (1203FX) as this will overwrite your prior online responses and may result in you being found ineligible.
If you completed the occupational questionnaire online and are unable to upload supporting document(s):
- To fax your documents, you must use the following cover page http://staffing.opm.gov/pdf/usascover.pdfand provide the required information. The Vacancy ID is 2015524.
- Fax your documents to 1-478-757-3144.
To complete the occupational questionnaire and submit via fax:
- Click the following link to view and print the occupational questionnaire View Occupational Questionnaire.
- Print the 1203FX form, follow the instructions and provide your responses to the occupational questionnaire items http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdfimage/opm1203fx.pdf.
- Fax the completed 1203FX form along with any supporting documents to 1-478-757-3144. Your 1203FX will serve as a cover page for your fax transmission.