Staff Nurse (GRMEC)
The incumbents selected for these positions will be under the direct supervision of the Nurse Manager of the ward to which assigned. Incumbents are responsible for the delivery of patient care in assigned areas based on scientific principles and the nursing process, and functions as a leader by assuming additional responsibility for improvement of patient care. These responsibilities include, but are not limited to: 1) Utilizes the nursing process in managing, developing, implementing and evaluating each patient's individual plan of care with an interdisciplinary team to attain specific clinical outcomes. 2) Implements nursing interventions as necessary for assessing patient response to surgical procedures. 3) Continuously monitors the environment for potential and/or actual safety hazards. Assures adherence to strict safety procedures by all staff. 4) Guides and directs patient care delivery of support staff. Provides input for staff evaluation to rating official(s). 5) Participates in and initiates Quality Assessment and Improvement program activities as applicable to the clinical area. 6) Promotes collaborative practice to provide and expedite quality patient care along the health care continuum; acts as patient advocate to assure appropriateness and quality of care. 7) Assesses learning needs of patients and staff and implements appropriate teaching plan. 8) Initiates and/or participates in studies pertaining to the ward assigned.
Work schedules may vary.
We are a 24/7 operation. Incumbents may be required to work nights, weekends, holidays, and off-tour to meet the needs of our Veterans.DESIGNATED DRUG-TESTING POSITION: Applicants tentatively selected for VA employment in a testing designated position are subject to urinalysis to screen for illegal drug use prior to appointment. Applicants who refuse to be tested will be denied employment with VA. Applicants will not be appointed to the position if a verified positive drug test result is received.
- U.S. citizenship
- English language proficiency
- Physical standards - All applicants must meet the physical standards for the position. A physical examination prior to employment may be required.
- Registration - Current, full, active and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the U.S. or in the District of Columbia. The RN must maintain a current, full active and unrestricted registration to continue employment with the VA
- Educational requirements can be met as follows:
(1) Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State agency, and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed: a) The National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC); or b) The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). OR
(2) The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. OR
(3) In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active, and unrestricted registration, will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing.
The following requirements are preferred for this position:1. One year (or more) working experience as a registered nurse. 2. Long term care experience is highly preferred for this position.
References: VA Handbook 5005/27, Part II, Appendix G6, NURSE QUALIFICATION STANDARD, dated March 17, 2009.
Applicant's education and experience will be reviewed by aProfessional Standards Board in determining the grade and salary of the applicant selected.The recommended salary may be at any point in the range listed for this vacancy.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Light Lifting, under 15 pounds, light carrying, under 15 pounds, pulling hand over hand 1.5 hours (varies), pushing, 1 hour (varies), reaching above shoulder, use of fingers, walking (12 hours-varies), Standing (12 hours-varies), repeated bending (4 hours varies), climbing, legs only (.2 hours-varies), both legs required (prosthetics OK), ability for rapid mental and muscular coordination simultaneously, near vision correctable at 12" to 16" to Jaeger 1 to 4, must have good vision in one eye. Hearing (aid permitted).
When applying for Federal jobs, eligible veteransshould claim preferenceon the Occupational Questionnaire in the section provided and provide a legible copy of DD-214(s) showing all dates of service as well as character of service (honorable, general, etc.). Additionally, veterans with service-connected disability of 10% or more must also submit a copy of their official statement from the Department of Veterans Affairs, or from a branch of the Armed Forces, certifying their service-connected disability and/or their receipt of compensation for service-connected disability. If the military member is within 120 days of separation and does not yet have a DD214, the member may instead submit any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions not later than 120 days after the date the certification is signed.
Veterans with service-connected disability of less than 10%, nonservice-connected disability, andPurple Heart recipients, as-well-as those claiming derived preference for a spouse, widow or widower, or natural mother, should refer to and submita completed SF 15, "Application for 10-Point Veteran Preference," and required documentation with your application materials.
For more information on Veterans' Preference, go to http://www.opm.gov/veterans/html/vetsinfo.asp.
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
1.Completed Online Questionnaire
2.CV or Resume
3.VA Form 10- 2850a - Application For Nurses And Nurse Anesthetists (Available at http://www.va.gov/vaforms/medical/pdf/vha-10-2850a-fill.pdf
4. Proof of current certification, licensure or registration
5. Unofficial transcript(s) - official college transcript(s) will be required before being hired).
Internal VA Long Beach Employees:
2. Memorandum of interest (Optional)