As one of the nation's premier centers of excellence in patient care, medical education and biomedical research, NYU Langone Health (NYULH) provides a professional environment in which nurses can perform at their best and excel in their careers. Each and every day, is a new opportunity to learn, to grow, and to be a part of what makes us world-class.
NYULH nurses can choose from many clinical services and programs to begin or mature a professional career path that can span decades. The many opportunities that are available for nurses at all levels, from new Baccalaureate RN graduates to Advanced Practice Nurses, offer the ability to deliver world class nursing care in an intellectually-stimulating academic environment. Nurses at NYULH also demonstrate their professional practice through participation in the various councils that govern the practice of nursing, the quality of our care, and the discovery of new knowledge.
||NYU Langone Hospital - Brooklyn is a full-service teaching hospital and Level I trauma center located in Sunset Park, Brooklyn. The medical center is central to a comprehensive network of affiliated ambulatory and outpatient practices, and serves as NYU Langone Health's anchor for healthcare access, growth, and delivery in the entire borough. Learn more about NYU L angone Hospital - Brooklyn.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Sr Nursing Attendant.
In this role, the successful candidate Assists in implementation of the nursing process by performing direct and indirect patient care to assigned patients under the supervision of the Registered Professional Nurse. Assists in maintaining an orderly and safe patient care environment and unit. Performs EKG glucometer testing and phlebotomy.
- Exposure & handling of hazardous waste.
- Performs venous phlebotomy
- Performs EKGs and applies cardiac leads.
- Measure and record blood sugar using the glucose meter.
- Performs other duties as aligned with the mission and values of the organization.
- Performs other duties such as errands relieving other units bringing stretchers and assisting other members of the health team as directed.
- Maintains cleanliness of utility rooms and pantries as assigned.
- Maintains a safe and uncluttered environment of care in patient rooms including removing excessive furniture supplies and equipment. Assists with supply and equipment management of patient procedure and supply rooms per department standards
- Maintains competence through in service and educational programs.
- Attends staff meetings and reviews signs minutes of meetings not attended.
- Performs post mortem care
- Responds to and meets patient family needs and customer concerns as soon as possible with compassion and understanding. Established effective caring relationships with staff patients family and other members of the health care team.
- Reports any changes observed in the patients condition to the RN.
- Performs control testing and records urine dipstick results per unit policy.
- Performs and documents safety observations for patients on continuous observation or in restraints per policy and as directed.
- Measures and records oral intake urinary output bowel elimination gastric and other drainage onto I&O record form or electronic. Calculates 8 hour totals. Empties drainage bags.
- Weighs patients and electronically records on admission weekly and as directed by RN.
- Takes and electronically records blood pressure temperature pulse and respiration at least twice a day and as directed by the RN. Reports temperature evaluations above 99 degrees Fahrenheit and below 97 degrees Fahrenheit to RN.
- Changes linen in accordance with policy and as necessary.
- Assists with moving lifting positioning and transporting of patients
- Assists with assembling traction apparatus
- Assists with removal and security of patient personal items as indicated on pre-op check list.
- Informs RN of any audible clinical alarms such as IV pumps feeding pumps ventilators bedside monitors
- Collects urine stool and sputum specimens as directed by RN.
- Performs enema procedures:
Fleets phosphosoda enema.
Oil retention enema.
Soaps suds enema.
Tap water enema.
- Performs and or assist patient with simple treatments
Remove and reapply SCD wraps.
Ace bandage application.
Soaks to limbs.
Simple dressing changes (normal saline).
Pressure ulcer care (normal saline hydrocolloid dsg.)
Colostomy care on established colostomy patients
Application of ointments and creams including medicated topicals as directed by the RN.
- Prepares patients for meals including
Clearing overbed tables and placing them within reach of the patient.
Positioning patient correctly for eating/tube feedings.
Assisting patients by preparing utensils and food items.
Observes that tube feedings are dripping and notifies RN when feeding bags are near completion.
- Provides basic hygiene to patients bathing PM care mouth care denture care hair care nail and foot care shaving assists patients with bedpan urinal and or commode.
- Conducts patient rounds minimally every two hours for toileting positioning comfort safety and personal needs. Answers patient call lights and responds to patient needs promptly.
- Assists with Admission/Transfer/Discharge of patients:
Orients patient to hospital environment as outlined in the Patient Assessment Database.
Provides patient with toileting supplies.
Assists patient to remove clothes, complete property check list and safeguard personal property through Security.
Assists in transfer of patients by gathering belongings completion of clothing list and assisting in moving the patient.
Prepares bedside unit to receive patients.
Assists patient to dress and pack personal belongings
Escorts patient as necessary and remains with the patient until he/she has left the building.
To qualify you must have a High School Diploma Required.
1 + years relevant experience.
Strong customer service and communication skills.
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Lutheran Medical Center provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Lutheran Medical Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Lutheran Medical Center's EEO policies, please click here . Please click here to view the Federal "EEO is the law" poster or visit https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm for more information. To view the Pay Transparency Notice, please click here .