Advanced Practice Registered Nurse - General & Specialty Surgery
Please Note: This announcement is not intended to cover all the duties, responsibilities or qualifications of this position.
The APRN position is located in the Surgical Service of the Jack C. Montgomery VA Medical Center, Muskogee, OK. Operating within an approved Scope of Practice, under the supervision of a designated managing physician, the APRN is responsible for the coordination of care. The incumbent will work closely with surgical and anesthesia staff and other disciplines in the service and within the facility. These efforts will result in more efficient and effective care management of the identified population groups within surgery service and improved customer satisfaction. The incumbent executes position responsibilities that demonstrate leadership in delivering and improving care through collaborative strategies with others and/or demonstrates leadership, experience, and creative approaches to management of complex systems and include the following duties but not limited to the following:
* Performs admission history and physicals, preoperative evaluations, orders, progress notes, post op care plans, and discharge summaries
* Provides medical education/counseling of patients and their families with a focus on outstanding clinical care and customer service
* Exhibits leadership and primary responsibility for admissions, coordinates activities with other practitioners, residents, students who may be involved in care of the surgical patient, serves as trainer fortrainees
* Answers consults in a timely manner, including E-consults, emergent, and routine consultations
* Assists the surgeon in the operating room, including prepping and draping, and first or second assist duties
* Demonstrates ability to diagnose and treat complicated patients in the surgical specialty they are working with in the inpatient and outpatient setting
* Duties include outpatient care and inpatient rounding
* Writes medications and nursing orders, orders routine laboratory tests, imaging studies and interprets results, sends consults to other services, follows patients in outpatient surgical clinics
* Makes recommendations relating to dressing changes, participates in decision making on patients scheduled for surgery, and schedules patient with the operating room scheduler
* Promotes patient care programs for the surgery patients and periodically update them based upon current and new concepts and research as well as requests by the attending physician
* Integrates the activities of the surgery service with other patient care programs at the facility
* Sees patient utilizing available telehealth modalities as appropriate in order to reduce drive time for Veteran who live a distance from the inpatient facility
* Participates in long range planning and model development for the effective delivery of surgical care and promotes adherence to cyber security initiatives
* Demonstrates leadership in promoting the distinctive and contributory role of the PA in providing surgical care within the VA healthcare system
* Participates in medical center committees and meetings as assigned and/or appropriate, including surgical staff meeting, all medical staff meetings, grand rounds, journal club, peer review, etc.
* Functions as consultant and liaison to other health care disciplines
* Takes calls from Veterans regarding their scheduled surgeries
* Participates in education and training requirements mandated by the service, facility, VA
* Takes call on a rotation basis which includes evenings, nights, weekends, holidays.
Work Schedule: Monday through Friday, 7:30 am to 4:00 pm, Plus On-Call Duty
Functional Statement Title/#: APRN/#000000
In order to qualify for this position you must meet the following:
- U.S. citizenship. Non-citizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English.
- am a Master's degreed graduate of a school of professional nursing that was approved by the appropriate State agency, and accredited by The National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC; http://www.nlac.org) or the Commission of Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE; http://www.aacn.nche.edu) at the time you completed the program?
- Current and continuous certificationis required for employment in the VHA.
Experience working in a complex hospital setting.
In Addition to meeting the basic requirements, candidates must also meet all requirements described.
Grade: Appointment or Promotion to a higher grade is based on the individual's demonstrated high level of clinical expertise, leadership ability, and the ability to function with a high degree of autonomy. Further, the APRNwill have demonstrated all the requirements of one or mor of the following categories: Management/Administrative, Clinical Proficiency, Professional Development and Research.
Experience: Generally, an individual in this grade is able to demostrate the behaviors listed in the areas below after 5 years of professional practice as an APRN.
Education: The minimum education for this grade is a Master's Degree from an APRN training program. However, experience as an APRN may be substituted for the Master's degree where the individual has an equivalent knowledge of the profession and has succussfully undertaken a combination of difficult or complex assignments in several clinical, administrative, research and educational arenas which required a high degree of competence.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.Physical Requirements:?, Moderate lifting (15-44 lbs); Light lifting (under 15 lbs); Light carrying (under 15 lbs); Pushing (1 hour); Walking (4 hours); Standing (6 hours); Kneeling (1 hour); Ability for rapid mental and muscular coordination simultaneously; Hearing (aid permitted); Emotional stability.
You must submit/include VA Form 10-2850c in your application package to be considered for this vacancy. VA Form 10-2850c - Application for Associated Health Occupations (Available at http://www.va.gov/vaforms/medical/pdf/vha-10-2850c-fill.pdf) (required).
Please use this checklist to ensure you have included other documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), documentation to support Veterans Preference claims, or ICTAP/CTAP documentation (for displaced Federal employees). You will not be contacted for additional information.
Veterans' Preference: When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference on the Occupational Questionnaire in the section provided and provide a legible copy of your DD214(s) and/or documentation related to your active duty service which shows dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), or dates of impending separation. Additionally, disabled veterans and others eligible for 10-point preference (such as widows or mothers of eligible Veterans) must also submit an SF-15 "Application for 10 Point Veterans Preference" with required proof as stated on the form. For more information, please visit http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/index.aspx.
Faxing Applications or Supporting Documents: You are encouraged to apply online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application. If you are unable to apply online or unable to upload your supporting documents to your online application, follow the directions located at the following site: Fax Options. The Vacancy ID of the job opportunity announcement is 2008089.
NOTE: If you applied online and your application is complete, do not fax the paper application (1203-FX) as this will overwrite your prior online responses and may result in you being found ineligible.