RN Discharge Planner
***This position is open continuous. Applicants will be referred after the position has been open for10 days, and thereafter as needed***
This is an open continuous announcement and will remain opened until filled. We will accept applications for this occupation on an ongoing basis and qualified applicants will be referred to the selecting official as needed.Unless this office is notified otherwise, applications will remain on file and considered for open positions until December 1, 2017, However, this vacancy announcement may be closed at an earlier date if all vacant positions are filled before 12/1/2017.
TheDischargePlanneris a professional Registered Nurse who provides high-quality, evidence-based care for Veteran patients who are cared for in the Acute Care setting. The Discharge Planner performs assessments, triage, case management, and discharge planning according to the Plan of Care. The Discharge Plannerpromotes a safe environment for all patients, including those with altered sensorium due to medication or an acute or chronic illness. TheDischarge Plannerdocuments in the electronic medical record using appropriate templates, protocols, SOP's, guidelines and adheres to medical center policies, and evaluates resources. TheDischarge Planneris responsible to effectively plan for discharge early in the Veterans' admission and identify barriers to psychological or physical care, treatment, and services after discharge or transfer. Barriers to discharge are reported to the physician and the interdisciplinary team. Based on education/experience, the RN may be assigned responsibility as a preceptor to new staff/trainees.
* Demonstrates knowledge and skills necessary to provide age appropriate care relative to the patients served in the acute care setting
* Interprets data reflective of the patient, family/surrogate's physical, psychosocial, emotional, spiritual, cultural, and educational needs
* Demonstrates skill in verbal and written communication.
* Demonstrates ability to work effectively with all members of the health care team.
WORK SCHEDULE: Full Time Tour of Duty - 80 hours per pay period, fixed weekends, every Saturday orevery Sunday.Tour of duty may change based on the needs of the facility.
Relocation expenses will not be reimbursed
* U.S. Citizenship.
* English Language Proficiency. RNs appointed to direct patient care positions must be proficient in spoken and written English as required by 38 U.S.C. 7402(d) and 7407(d).
* Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate state-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign school of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing.
* The completion of course work equivalent to a nursing degree in MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6)
* Current, full, active and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a state, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
Grade Determinations: The following criteria must be met in determining the grade assignment of candidates, and if appropriate, the level within a grade:
* Nurse I Level I - An Associate Degree (ADN) or Diploma in Nursing, with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
* Nurse I Level II - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 1 year of nursing practice/experience; OR and ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelor's degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience; OR a Bachelor's of Science in Nursing (BSN) with no additional nursing practice/experience.
* Nurse I Level III - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a BSN with approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing (MSN) or related field with BSN and no additional nursing practice/experience.
* Nurse II - A BSN with approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
* Nurse III - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or related field and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience.
Reference: VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-6 Nurse Qualification Standard.
Preferred Experience: 2-3 years of experience in an inpatient setting. Basic Life Support (BLS) certification preferred.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Physical Requirements:Heavy lifting (45 lbs. and over); Moderate Carrying (15-44 pounds); Straight Pulling; Pushing; Reaching above Shoulder; Walking; Standing; Repeated bending; Ability for rapid mental and muscular coordination simultaneously; Near vision correctable at 13" to 16" to Jaeger 1 to 4; Hearing aid (permitted); Ability to distinguish basic colors; Ability to distinguish shades of colors; Depth perception; Both eyes required; Both legs required; Use of fingers and both hands required.
For more information on these qualification standards, please visit the United States Office of Personnel Management's website at http://www.opm.gov/qualifications.
In describing your experience, please be clear and specific. We may not make assumptions regarding your experience.
Your application, resume and/or supporting documentation will be verified. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omission may affect consideration of employment.
NOTE: Candidate's education and length of nursing practice (experience) will be considered by a Nurse Professional Standards Board in determining the grade and salary of the applicant selected. Experience as an RN will be evaluated to determine if the experience is on an acceptable level of quality with regard to the following four dimensions of nursing: Practice, Professional Development, Collaboration and Scientific Inquiry. Each dimension of practice has criteria that demonstrate essential core competencies for VHA Nursing Personnel. The criteria are as follows:
* Practice: practice, ethics and resource utilization;
* Professional Development: performance, education/career development;
* Collaboration; collaboration, collegiality;
* Scientific Inquiry: quality of care, research
NOTE: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you much send a Certification of Foreign Equivalency from International Consultants of Delaware (ICD) with your transcript in order to receive credit for the education.
Veterans Preference: When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference for 5pt (TP), or 10pt (CP/CPS, XPP, XP), or for Sole Survivor Preference (SSP), on the Occupational Questionnaire in the section(s) provided. Submita legible copy of your DD 214(s) indicating character of service and the dates of service or if you are currently serving on active duty and expected to be released or discharged within 120 days; documentation related to your active duty service which reflects thedates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), or dates of impending separation. Documentation is required for eligibility verification.
Additionally, disabled veterans and others eligible for 10-point preference (such as widows or mothers of eligible Veterans) must also submit an SF-15 "Application for 10 point Veterans Preference" with required proof as stated on the form. For more information, pleasevisithttp://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/index.aspx.
The followingApplication documents are required.
- Your RÃ©sumÃ©. Please make sure your resume includes where you worked, dates of employment (From: mm/yyyy To: mm/yyyy), and number of hours worked per week.
- VA Form 10-2850A available online at http://www.va.gov/vaforms/medical/pdf/vha-10-2850a-091998-fill.pdf
- Copy of your transcript if you are using education to qualify.
- Responses to the questionnaire.
The following will be required if selected:
The following Eligibility documents are required. Failure to submit the required eligibility documents will result in you being notified that you have been rated ineligible for further consideration of this position.
- Current or Former Federal Employees - Must provide a copy of your last or most recent SF-50, "Notification of Personnel Action" which shows your current grade level. If you have served at a higher grade level in Federal service which qualifies you for this position, please provide a copy of that SF-50.
- Other eligibility documents: Use the CHECKLIST to make sure you have included other documents required for your application, such as documentation to support Veteran Preference claims, or ICTAP/CTAP documentation (for displaced federal employees), and any document that will verify your eligibility to apply for this position