RN Staff Nurse - Ambulatory Care (PACT)
The VA Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System is seeking to find experienced Registered Nurses (RN) to work in our Primary and Ambulatory Care Department. He/she may function as a member of the Patient Aligned Care Teams (PACT) with emphasis on improving health outcomes through a system of care management and coordination. He/she ensures that Veteran-centered health care is provided and delivered in a quality, timely, accessible and respectful manner, consistent with the mission, goals and objectives of the Veteran's Health Administration. He/she is responsible to the assigned Clinic Nurse Manager.Location of the clinic will depend on the needs of the program and may be located at one the following:
Duties include but are not limited to the following:
1. Coordinates care for ambulatory clinic patients. Assists the Care Provider in selected procedures and performs diagnostic testing, i.e. EKG, phlebotomy, wound care to patients and provides direct care to patients in emergencies
2. Functions as a leader of the nursing care team when assigned, directing and guiding the LVNs and other nursing staff
3. Assesses patient's needs and conditions and recommends appropriate dispositions based on assessment
4. Initiates appropriate nursing interventions and communication with other team members
5. Provides patient education on an individual or group basis
6. Participates actively in the Performance Improvement activities of Ambulatory Care, and in development of policies and procedures
7. Assures detailed, current and comprehensive documentation is contained in the patient medical record and other pertinent records
8. Participates and supports research projects directed toward improving patient care and staff development
9. Provides a safe and healthful physical environment for patients and personnel by interpreting and applying organizational goals and national standards
10. Assures continuing improvement of service to patients, including implementation of an effective customer service program
11. Ensures compliance with all patient rights and regulatory agency standards
12. Collaborates with the other health care professionals in providing continuity of services for specific health issues
13. Improves continuity of professional relationships among the health care team as they collaborate on behalf of patients.
Duty Location: May be assigned to one of the following Ambulatory Care Clinics~
1. VA Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System - 11301 Wilshire Blvd Los Angles CA 90073
2. VA Sepulveda - 16111 Plummer Street North Hills, CA 91343
3.VA Los Angeles Ambulatory Care Center ~351 East Temple Street Los Angeles, CA 90012
Work Schedule: Monday - Friday 8 hour rotating tours ending no later than 5:30 pm
Functional Statement Title: Staff Nurse
- U.S. citizenship. Non-citizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration AND degree equivalency documentation will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing. The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6)
- English Language Proficiency
Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Reference: VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-6 Nurse Qualification Standard. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
Physical Requirements:?, This position requires visual acuity, keen hearing, clear distinctive speech, and manual dexterity. This position requires potentially long periods of continued walking, standing, stooping, sitting, bending, kneeling, pulling, and pushing. Transferring patients and objects may be required. The candidate may be exposed to infected patients and contaminated materials and may be required to don protective clothing in isolation situations or operative/invasive procedures. The candidate may occasionally be exposed to patients who are combative secondary to delirium, dementia, or psychiatric disorders. The incumbent must be a mature, flexible, sensible individual capable of working effectively in stressful situations, able to shift priorities based on patient needs. The candidate will be working closely with others and may have protracted or irregular hours of work.
All applicants are required to submit the following supporting document type(s):
Applicants may also submit the following supporting document type(s),which may not be required for all applicants:*Cover Letter
*Other Veterans Document
Please use this checklist to ensure you have included other documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), documentation to support Veterans Preference claims, etc. You will not be contacted for additional information.
VA Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System Employees ONLY:
1. Memo to be uploaded - Include your (1) Full Name, (2) Current Department, (3) Contact Number, (4) Signature and (5) VIN1890583 (required)
2. Resume to be uploaded - with references (required)
3. Answer the Online Questionnaire (required)
For all others, to apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
1. Completed Online Questionnaire
2. CV or Resume
3. VA Form 10- 2850a - Application For Nurses And Nurse Anesthetists (Available at http://www.va.gov/vaforms/medical/pdf/vha-10-2850a-fill.pdf
4. Proof of current certification, licensure or registration
5. Unofficial transcript(s) - official college transcript(s) will be required before being hired.
6. Optional Form 306 - Declaration for Federal Employment (Available at http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/of0306.pdf).
Veterans must submit appropriate documentation as described in this vacancy announcement.
If currently employed in the VA system, include a copy of your latest SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action.
Veterans' Preference: When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference for 5pt (TP), or 10pt (CP/CPS, XPP, XP), or for Sole Survivor Preference (SSP), on the Occupational Questionnaire in the section(s) provided. A legible copy of your DD214(s) indicating character of service, disability certification, SF-15 (if claiming 10 pt. preference) or if you are currently serving on active duty and expected to be released or discharged within 120 days; documentation related to your active duty service which reflects the dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), or dates of impending separation. Documentation is required for eligibility verification.
Faxing Applications or Supporting Documents: You are encouraged to apply online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application. If you are unable to apply online or unable to upload your supporting documents to your online application, follow the directions located at the following site: Fax Options. The Vacancy ID of the job opportunity announcement is 1890583.
NOTE: If you applied online and your application is complete, do not fax the paper application (1203-FX) as this will overwrite your prior online responses and may result in you being found ineligible
Qualified candidates will be referred every2 -3 weeks beginning January 20,2017 until all positions are filled. Selections may be made at any time; therefore, applicants are encouraged not to delay in submitting a complete application packet. The announcement will be closed once the positions have been filled. All applicants may receive consideration for six months from the date of application.