Registered Nurse (Medical Surgical Telemetry)
IMPORTANT: This is an open continuous announcement. Candidates will be reviewed for interview on the 15th and 30th of every month until the positionsare filled.
POSITION: Registered Nurse (Medical Surgical Telemetry)
TOUR OF DUTY: 12 hour shifts, 7p.m. to 7:30 a.m.
- The RN is directly responsible to the Nurse Manager.
- The RN is accountable for the provision of direct patient care and for the delivery of quality nursing care to a culturally diverse veteran population with complex needs
- RN who can function as a team player on a fast paced Medical/Surgical/Telemetry unit
- Skilled in patient assessment with the ability to communicate appropriate concerns regarding patient's conditions based on a sound theoretical and technical basis
- Maintains confidentiality of electronic, written and/or verbal patient/employee information
- Demonstrates working practices that include adherence to Infection Control standards and the safe use and operation of equipment
- Accountable for the provision of direct patient care and for the delivery of quality nursing care to a culturally diverse Veteran population with complex needs
- Knowledge and skills to effectively apply all aspects of nursing process within a collaborative, interdisciplinary setting
- Demonstration of knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age related needs of patients
- Manage computerized documentation, medication administration, and team leadership responsibilities
- Other duties include patient and family education, interdisciplinary participation with discharge planning, and other duties as assigned
- U.S. citizenship. Non-citizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Full unrestricted Licensure, Certification, or Registration required
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing.
- The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6)
- Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
Preferred Experience/Education:BLS certified (required). ACLS within 90 days of hire. 1-2 years of current(within last 3 years)or recent clinical student experience (at Salem VAMC) preferred.
The following criteria must be met in determining the grade assignment of candidates, and if appropriate, the level within a grade:
- Nurse I Level I - An Associate Degree (ADN) or Diploma in Nursing, with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse I Level II - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 1 year of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelor's degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience; OR a Bachelor's of Science in Nursing (BSN) with no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse I Level III - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a BSN with approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing (MSN) or related field with a BSN and no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse II - A BSN with approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing or related field with a BSN and approximately 1-2 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse III - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or related field and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience.
Reference:VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-6 Nurse Qualification Standard. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
Education/Experience Requirements/Preferred Experience: Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Physical Requirements: Lifting/carrying - 45 lbs or more, Standing, Sitting, Walking, Kneeling, Bending/Stooping, Twisting, Pushing/pulling, Both legs required, Simple grasping, Use of fingers, Both hands required, Fine manipulation (includes keyboarding), Reaching above shoulders, Near vision correctable at 13-16" to Jaeger 1 to 4, Far vision correction in one eye to 20/20 and to 20/40 in the other eye, Ability to distinguish basic colors, Ability to distinguish shades of colors, Hearing whispered voice (with or without aid), Emotional/mental stability, Walking on slippery or uneven walking surfaces, Working with hands in water, Working closely with others, and Protracted or irregular hours of work.All applicants are required to submit the following supporting document type(s):
Applicants may also submit the following supporting document type(s),which may not be required for all applicants:*Cover Letter
*Other(VA Form 10-2850a - Form is available as a hyperlink below)
*Other Veterans Document
VA Form 10-2850a - Application for Nurses and Nurse Anesthetists (required).Available at the VA Forms website: http://www.va.gov/vaforms/search_action.asp?FormNo=10-2850&tkey=&Action=Search
Please use this checklist to make sure you have included other documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), documentation to support Veterans Preference claims, etc. You will not be contacted for additional information.
Veterans' Preference: When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference for 5pt (TP), or 10pt (CP/CPS, XPP, XP), or for Sole Survivor Preference (SSP), on the Occupational Questionnaire in the section(s) provided. A legible copy of your DD214(s) indicating character of service, disability certification, SF-15 (if claiming 10 pt. preference) or if you are currently serving on active duty and expected to be released or discharged within 120 days; documentation related to your active duty service which reflects the dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), or dates of impending separation. Documentation is required for eligibility verification.
Faxing Applications or Supporting Documents: You are encouraged to apply online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application. If you are unable to apply online or unable to upload your supporting documents to your online application, follow the directions located at the following site: Fax Options. The Vacancy ID of the job opportunity announcement is 1982987.
NOTE: If you applied online and your application is complete, do not fax the paper application (1203-FX) as this will overwrite your prior online responses and may result in you being found ineligible.
For questions about this job, please contact:
Victoria Cox, RN
540-982-2463 extension 2407