Registered Nurse (Speciality Care)
The incumbent practices as a Registered Nurse (Specialty?,Care) in the Office of Nurse Executive. Duties include but are not limited to:
- Applies the nursing process to systems or processes at the unit/team/work group level.
- Demonstrates leadership by involving others in improving care.
- Provides accurate information to patients and other staff when ethical issues arise.
- Acts as a patient advocate when patient self determination is in question.
- Identifies potential problems involving resources and/or safety and takes action to avert or manage the situation in a manner that meets the needs of patients in a safe/therapeutic manner.
- Adheres to all safety and health standards, regulations and work practices and uses personnel protective equipment as required.
- Citizenship: U.S. citizenship. Non-citizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Education: Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing. The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6)
- Licensure: Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
- Nurse I Level III - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a BSN with approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing (MSN) or related field with a BSN and no additional nursing practice/experience.
Experience as a RN will be evaluated to determine if the experience is of an acceptable level of quality with regard to the following four dimensions of nursing: Practice, Professional Development, Collaboration and Scientific Inquiry. Each dimension of practice has criteria that demonstrate essential core competencies for VHA Nursing Personnel.
The criteria are as follows:
- Practice: practice, ethics and resource utilization;
- Professional Development: performance, education/career development;
- Collaboration; collaboration, collegiality;
- Scientific Inquiry: quality of care, research.
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE MAY NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE.Physical Requirements: Heavy Lifting (45 lbs. and over); Heavy Carrying (45 lbs. and over); Straight Pulling (up to 1 hour); Pushing (1 - 2 hours); Reaching above shoulder; Use of fingers; Both hands required; Walking (up to 6 hours); Standing (up to 8 hours); Repeated bending (up to 1 hour); Ability for rapid mental and muscular coordination simultaneously; Near vision correctable at 13" to 16"; Hearing (aid permitted)
Veterans' Preference: When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference on the Occupational Questionnaire in the section provided and provide a legible copy of your DD214(s) and/or documentation related to your active duty service which shows dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), or dates of impending separation.
Additionally, disabled veterans and others eligible for 10-point preference (such as widows or mothers of eligible Veterans) must also submit an SF-15 "Application for 10 Point Veterans Preference" with required proof as stated on the form. For more information, please review the information for disabled Veterans in the application checklist or visit http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/index.aspx.
All applicants are required to submit the following supporting document type(s):
*Other( VA Form 10-2850Aa- Application for Nurse and Nurse Anesthetists and Proof of Licensure)
Applicants may also submit the following supporting document type(s),which may not be required for all applicants:*Cover Letter
*Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs)
*Other Veterans Document
VA Form 10-2850a - Application for Nurses and Nurse Anesthetists (Available http://vaww4.va.gov/vaforms/medical/pdf/vha-10-2850a-fill.pdf) (required).
Please use this checklist to make sure you have included other documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), documentation to support Veterans Preference claims, or ICTAP/CTAP documentation (for displaced Federal employees). You will not be contacted for additional information.Faxing Applications or Supporting Documents:
You are encouraged to apply online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application.
NOTE: If you applied online and your application is complete, do not fax the paper application (1203FX) as this will overwrite your prior online responses and may result in you being found ineligible.
If you completed the occupational questionnaire online and are unable to upload supporting document(s):
- To fax your documents, you must use the following cover page http://staffing.opm.gov/pdf/usascover.pdf and provide the required information. The Vacancy ID is 1798854.
- Fax your documents to 1-478-757-3144.
To complete the occupational questionnaire and submit via fax:
- Click the following link to view and print the occupational questionnaire View Occupational Questionnaire.
- Print the 1203FX form, follow the instructions and provide your responses to the occupational questionnaire items http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdfimage/opm1203fx.pdf.
- Fax the completed 1203FX form along with any supporting documents to 1-478-757-3144. Your 1203FX will serve as a cover page for your fax transmission.