Advanced Practice Nurse (APN)-OCA
The Dayton VAMC is recruiting for an Advanced Practice Nurse (APN) who is responsible for planning, developing, implementing and evaluating the patient's mental health care in collaboration with the MHD psychiatrists. Duties include but are not limited to:
* Provides mental health care and formulating differential diagnoses based on findings using the DSM-5 criteria; prescribing pharmacological and non-pharmacological treatments in the direct management psychiatric issues; promotion of wellness and the prevention of illness; working autonomously and collaboratively with the SCBOC MH and special mental health program interdisciplinary teams
* Focuses on new Veteran intakes, established Veteran care and medication management, consultations and referral to all disciplines that may impact the care; follow-up, documentation of progress notes whenever a clinical condition requires an intervention, ordering diagnostic studies, as well as the education of Veterans and families
* Responsible for the teaching of concepts and clinical skills within his/her area of expertise for students from local, regional and national medical, nursing and pharmacy school(s
* Participates in QA/QI activities, peer review, medical record reviews; meets timeliness for documentation and productivity standards; protects printed and electronic files containing sensitive data in accordance with the provisions of the Privacy Act and other applicable laws, federal regulations, VA statues and policy
This is a bargaining unit position.
Work Schedule: 1st Shift, 8:00am - 4:30pm, Monday - Friday, *** May be subject to irregular tours of duty
Functional Statement Title/#: Advanced Practice Nurse/000000
U.S. citizenship. Non-citizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing.
The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6)
Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.Grade Determinations: The following criteria must be met in determining the grade assignment of candidates, and if appropriate, the level within a grade:
- Nurse I Level I - An Associate Degree (ADN) or Diploma in Nursing, with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse I Level II - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 1 year of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelor's degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience; OR a Bachelor's of Science in Nursing (BSN) with no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse I Level III - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a BSN with approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing (MSN) or related field with a BSN and no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse II - A BSN with approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing or related field with a BSN and approximately 1-2 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse III - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or related field and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience.
a. Prescriptive authority is required
b. Two years successful experience as a Nurse Practitioner; mental health experience strongly preferred
c. Proficiency in organizing/achieving a wide range of duties and responsibilities
d. Demonstrated ability to serve as a responsible member of an interdisciplinary team and interact with patients, family members, professional and supportive personnel who provide patient care
e. Working knowledge of computerized medical records and various computer application programs
f. Demonstrated knowledge of effective customer service techniques in order to work and deal with individuals with varied backgrounds and levels of understanding.
g. Demonstrated ability in recognizing and responding appropriately to emergency situations (CPR and resuscitative methods)
g. Mental HealthExperience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Use for APN/NP/CNS only:
(a) Nurse Practitioners. A nurse practitioner must be licensed or otherwise recognized as a nurse practitioner in a State, possess a Masters degree from a program accredited by the NLNAC or CCNE, and maintain full and current certification as a nurse practitioner from the American Nurses Association or another nationally recognized certifying body. [The certification must be in the specialty to which the individual is being appointed or selected.]
(b) Clinical Nurse Specialists. A clinical nurse specialist must possess a Masters degree from an academic program accredited by the NLNAC or CCNE [and maintain full and current certification as a clinical nurse specialist from the American Nurses Association or another nationally recognized certifying body. The certification must be in the specialty to which the individual is being appointed or selected.]
(c) Prescriptive Authority. Prescriptive authority is required
Physical Requirements: This position requires visual acuity, keen hearing, clear distinctive speech, and manual dexterity. This position requires potentially long periods of continued walking, standing, stooping, sitting, bending, pulling and pushing. Transferring patients and objects may be required. Mechanical inpatient lifts are provided. The incumbent may be exposed to infected patients and contaminated materials and may be required to don protective clothing in isolation situations, operative/invasive procedures, or home settings. The incumbent may occasionally be exposed to patients who are combative secondary to delirium, dementia, or psychiatric disorders.The incumbent must be a mature, flexible, sensible individual capable of working effectively in stressful situations, able to shift priorities based on patient needs. Must complete annual Employee Health requirements, such as annual TB screening or testing, as a condition of employment. The incumbent who provides care in home settings or other off-site locations may be required to drive and/or ride in GSA-vehicles.
All applicants are required to submit the following supporting document type(s):
Applicants may also submit the following supporting document type(s),which may not be required for all applicants:*Cover Letter
*Other(VA10-2850a Application for Nurses and Anesthethist)
*Other Veterans Document
All Applicants must submit the following documents in order to ensure a complete application packet:
1. VA Form 10-2850a - Application for Nurses and Nurse Anesthetists (required) Available at the VA Forms website: http://www.va.gov/vaforms/search_action.asp?FormNo=10-2850&amp;tkey=&amp;Action=Search
2. Resume/CV (required)
3. COPY of Nursing License and Prescriptive Authority[If you do not have a copy of the licensure, please submit proof/verification (i.e., from the State's website).] (required)
4. Any other documents such as copy of College Transcripts and/or BLS/ACLS Certifications, etc.
Please use this checklist to make sure you have included other documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), documentation to support Veterans Preference claims, etc. You will not be contacted for additional information.
Veterans' Preference: When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference for 5pt (TP), or 10pt (CP/CPS, XPP, XP), or for Sole Survivor Preference (SSP), on the Occupational Questionnaire in the section(s) provided. A legible copy of your DD214(s) indicating character of service, disability certification, SF-15 (if claiming 10 pt. preference) or if you are currently serving on active duty and expected to be released or discharged within 120 days; documentation related to your active duty service which reflects the dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), or dates of impending separation. Documentation is required for eligibility verification.
Faxing Applications or Supporting Documents: You are encouraged to apply online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application. If you are unable to apply online or unable to upload your supporting documents to your online application, follow the directions located at the following site: Fax Options. The Vacancy ID of the job opportunity announcement is 1978020.
NOTE: If you applied online and your application is complete, do not fax the paper application (1203-FX) as this will overwrite your prior online responses and may result in you being found ineligible.