Registered Nurse (Training Instructor)
The Registered Nurse (TrainingInstructor)positioninthe Nursing Education departmentat the VA Medical Center located inBedford, MAdemonstrates leadership in the delivering and improving holistic care through collaborative strategies with others and applies the nursing process to systems or processes at the unit/team/work group level to improve care.Theduties of the position include but are not limited to:
- identifies and assesses resourceutilization and safety issues, taking appropriateaction
- assesses, plans, implements and evaluates patient care delivery system
- collaborates with professional peers, members of the interdisciplinary team, and the providers of the patient programs/services and community resources in meeting patient care needs
- participates in planning new staff orientation
- identifies professional needs, formulates goals and develops a plan to meet these goals
- participates in unit-level performance improvement activities that evaluate patient care
- modifies approach to practice based on performance improvement findings and recommendations
- identifies all aspects of care important for quality monitoring
- applies evidence based nursing practice principles to patient care
- works cooperatively and effectively with patients, families, members of other disciplines and co-workers to accomplish goals
- serves as a role model in nursing care delivery
- serves as expert/resource regarding patient plan of care needs
- expresses verbal and written ideas effectively
- participates in established performance improvement studies and/or activities
- uses a body of research to validate and/or change work group practice
- identifies commonly occurring direct and indirect patient care problems and actively participates in their resolution based on evidenced based findings
- educates colleagues and/or students and serves as preceptor and/or mentor
- uses group process to identify, analyze and resolve patient care problems
- demonstrates expertise in patient care so as to be sought as a resource in nursing practice by others
Work Schedule: Monday-Friday; 7:30am-4:00pm (occasional rotationto weekend, evening and nighthours as necessary)
Functional Statement Title/#: Registered Nurse (TrainingInstructor)
- U.S. citizenship.
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing.
- The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6)
- Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
Grade Determinations: The following criteria must be met in determining the grade assignment of candidates, and if appropriate, the level within a grade:
- Nurse I Level I - An Associate Degree (ADN) or Diploma in Nursing, with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse I Level II - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 1 year of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelor's degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience; OR a Bachelor's of Science in Nursing (BSN) with no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse I Level III - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a BSN with approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing (MSN) or related field with a BSN and no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse II - A BSN with approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing or related field with a BSN and approximately 1-2 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse III - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or related field and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience.
Preferred Experience: 2-3 years of relevant experience, BSN, MSN preferredExperience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Physical Requirements: Heavy lifting (45 lbs and over); heavy carrying (45 lbs and over); straight pulling; pushing; reaching above shoulder; use of fingers; both hands required; walking (up to 6 hours): standing (up to 6 hours); kneeling (up to 2 hours); repeated bending (up to 4 hours): both legs required; ability for rapid mental and muscular coordination simultaneously; near vision correctable at 13" to 16"; far vision correctable in one eye to 20/20 and to 20/40 in the other; ability to distinguish basic colors; hearing (aid permitted); emotional stability; intelligible speech. The incumbent must be mature, flexible, sensible individual capable of working effectively in potentially stressful situations and able to shift priorities based on individual needs.?,
All applicants are required to submit the following supporting document type(s):
Applicants may also submit the following supporting document type(s),which may not be required for all applicants:*Cover Letter
*Other(VA Form 10-2850a Application for Nurses and Nurse Anesthetists )
VA Form 10-2850a - Application for Nurses and Nurse Anesthetists- Available at the VA Forms website: http://www.va.gov/vaforms/search_action.asp?FormNo=10-2850&tkey=&Action=Search
Please use this checklist to make sure you have included other documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), documentation to support Veterans Preference claims, etc. You will not be contacted for additional information.
Veterans' Preference: When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference for 5pt (TP), or 10pt (CP/CPS, XPP, XP), or for Sole Survivor Preference (SSP), on the Occupational Questionnaire in the section(s) provided. A legible copy of your DD214(s) indicating character of service, disability certification, SF-15 (if claiming 10 pt. preference) or if you are currently serving on active duty and expected to be released or discharged within 120 days; documentation related to your active duty service which reflects the dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), or dates of impending separation. Documentation is required for eligibility verification.
Faxing Applications or Supporting Documents: You are encouraged to apply online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application. If you are unable to apply online or unable to upload your supporting documents to your online application, follow the directions located at the following site: Fax Options. The Vacancy ID of the job opportunity announcement is 2006557.
NOTE: If you applied online and your application is complete, do not fax the paper application (1203-FX) as this will overwrite your prior online responses and may result in you being found ineligible.