Practical Nurse, Specialty Clinic
The LPN/LVN provides basic and skilled practical nursing care as assigned in a medical or surgical ambulatory care setting. Specialties represented in this setting include, but are not limited to; Dermatology, ENT, General Surgery, Neurosurgery, Orthopedics, Orthopedic Hand, Orthopedic Spine, Podiatry, Thoracic, Urology, Internal Medicine and Vascular.
Duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Provides basic and skilled nursing care and assistance to patients in the outpatient clinics. May involve assistance with personal hygiene, lifting and positioning.
- Measures, reports, and documents vitals signs (i.e. body temperature, pulse, respiration, blood pressure, pulse oximeter), weight, height, blood glucose, and/or intake/output. Observes, reports and documents significant physical conditions, emotional behaviors and social needs as appropriate.
- Communicates and participates as part of the multi-disciplinary teams in the development, implementation and evaluation of the patient's treatment plan. Actively makes suggestions for change and assumes leadership roles within assigned area.
- Assists nursing staff and providers with maintaining clinic flow, completing assessments, setting up for and participating in treatments/examinations that require special skill, etc. according to medical center policies and procedures.
- Demonstrates competency in independently performing specific technical skills within the outpatient setting (i.e. complex dressing changes, urinary catheter insertion, endoscopy procedures, IV insertion/venipuncture, adjustment of oxygen therapy and suctioning).
- Administers medications in accordance with additional training, established policies and procedures. Observes, reports and documents changes in patient condition and/or behavior which may be related to medication administration. Assesses patient conditions, recognizes deviations from normal and notifies appropriate staff when immediate attention is necessary.
- Assists the RN with patient admission, transfers and discharge processes as appropriate to the outpatient setting.
- Appropriately documents care given in CPRS.
- Assists in maintaining and cleaning supplies and equipment according to facility policies and procedures and manufacturer recommendations. Restocks clinic areas as appropriate.
- Provides a safe environment and supports patient privacy. Reports unsafe equipment and conditions and adheres to infection control principles, emergency, safety and fire regulations.
- Demonstrates flexibility and willingness to adapt to changing work situations. Assists with problem solving.
- Is accountable for maintaining therapeutic interpersonal relations with patients, families/significant others and co-workers.
- Reinforces and reiterates instructions previously presented by the treatment team that provide the patient/family with appropriate health care information. Encourages patient participation in the treatment team by fostering self-reliance and independence and by involving the patient in their own treatment plan.
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required.
Telework: Not Available
Virtual: Not a Virtual Position
Functional Statement Title/#: License Practical Nurse, Specialty Care
Relocation/Recruitment Incentives: Not authorizedBasic Requirements:
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Education. Graduate of a school of practical or vocational nursing approved by the appropriate State agency and/or accredited by the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC) or Accrediting Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) at the time the program was completed by the applicant. Or, health care education in the military service or training in the military service which is accepted by the licensing body in the jurisdiction in which the individual is licensed as qualifying for full LPN/LVN licensure will be accepted as meeting the education requirements for VHA employment.
- Licensure. Full, active, current and unrestricted licensure as a licensed practical or vocational nurse in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or District of Columbia.
- English Language Proficiency. Licensed practical or vocational nurses appointed to direct patient care positions must be proficient in both spoken and written English.
GS-06: Completion of at least one (1) year of additional qualifying experience at the GS-5 level or equivalent, fully meeting all performance requirements for the GS-5 LPN/LVN.
GS-05: One (1) year of experience equivalent to the next lower grade level or equivalent
GS-04: Six months of qualifying experience as an LPN or LVN; or graduation from an approved school and one year of experience that involved nursing care work in a hospital, outpatient clinic, nursing home, or other supervised medical, nursing, or patient care facility that provided a practical knowledge of human body structure and sterile techniques and procedures; or graduation from an approved school of at least 24 months duration.
GS-03: None beyond the basic requirements.
References: VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G13, Licensed Practical or Vocational Nurse Qualification Standard.
The full performance level of this vacancy is GS-06. The actual grade at which an applicant may be selected for this vacancy is in the range of GS-03 to GS-06.Physical Requirements: The work requires a high level of active mobility with standing, walking, frequent bending, reaching and lifting. Heavy instrument trays, pieces of equipment and supply packages often weighing as much as 25 pounds must be lifted and carried. The employee regularly pushes and/or pulls loaded carts weighing several hundred pounds. Transport of heavily loaded carts must be negotiated through narrow passages, around corners, up and down inclines or uneven floors, over thresholds and in and out of elevators.
Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process.
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
The following documents are accepted, and may be required if applicable to your eligibility and/or qualifications for this position. Please use this checklist to ensure you have included all documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), documentation to support Veterans Preference or ICTAP/CTAP documentation (for displaced Federal employees).
- Cover Letter
- Disability Letter