Registered Nurse - Chemotherapy Unit (Intermittent PRN)
The incumbent practices as an Intermittent (PRN)RN in theChemotherapy Unit located in theDivision of Hospital& SpecialtyMedicine in Portland. The Chemotherapy RN is accountable for:
- Providing patient driven care to oncology patients
- Assessing, planning, administering, monitoring, and evaluating chemotherapy treatments as needed
- Providing discharge education to patients and families
- Maintaining skills in PICC, port and central line evaluation and management
- Collaborating with the interdisciplinary team to continuously improve patient/customer satisfaction and patient care outcomes
- Assuring that standards of care arebeing maintained and followed
Work Schedule: Monday through Friday, 8:00am-4:30pm (As needed)
Functional Statement Title: Chemotherapy Unit RN, Division of Hospital and Specialty Medicine
- Current employee of the Portland VA, DHSM unit
- U.S. citizenship. Non-citizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accredit bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) or Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing (CGFNS must be provided. The completion of course work equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit evidence of ability to sit for the NCLEX along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6). Proof of accreditation must be provided if nursing program accreditation does not reflect on above referenced organization's websites. Past accreditation may not be available online and may result in disqualification.
- Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
- 2 years nursing experience
- 1 year chemotherapy nursing experience
- Chemotherapy certification
NOTE: Applicant's education and length of nursing practice (experience) will be considered by a Professional Standards Board and Compensation Panel in determining the salary of the applicant selected.
Applicant's education and length of nursing practice (experience) will be considered by a Professional Standards Board in determining the salary of the applicant selected.
- Nurse I Level I - An Associate Degree (ADN) or Diploma in Nursing, with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse I Level II - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 1 year of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelor's degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience; OR a Bachelor's of Science in Nursing (BSN) with no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse I Level III - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a BSN with approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing (MSN) or related field with a BSN and no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse II - A BSN with approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing or related field with a BSN and approximately 1-2 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse III - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or related field and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience.
Experience as a RN will alsobe evaluated to determine if the experience is of an acceptable level of quality with regard to the following four dimensions of nursing: Practice, Professional Development, Collaboration and Scientific Inquiry. Each dimension of practice has criteria that demonstrate essential core competencies for VHA Nursing Personnel. The criteria are as follows:
- Practice: practice, ethics and resource utilization;
- Professional Development: performance, education/career development;
- Collaboration; collaboration, collegiality;
- Scientific Inquiry: quality of care, research.
Reference: VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G6 Nurse Qualification Standard.
Physical Requirements: Moderate Carrying (15-44lbs); Straight Pulling (up to 1 hour); Pushing (1 - 2 hours); Reaching above shoulder; Use of fingers; Both hands required; Walking (up to 4 hours); Standing (up to 4 hours); Repeated bending (up to 3 hours); Ability for rapid mental and muscular coordination simultaneously; Near vision correctable at 13" to 16"; Far vision correctable in one eye to 20/20 and to 20/40 in the other; Ability to distinguish basic colors; Ability to distinguish shades of color; Emotional and Mental stability; Hearing (aid permitted).
You must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
1. CV or Resume (required)
2. VA Form 10-2850a - (REQUIRED) Application for Nurses and Nurse Anesthetists (Available at http://www.va.gov/vaforms/medical/pdf/vha-10-2850a-091998-fill.pdf)
3. Responses to the questionnaire; not an uploaded document, answered either during the online process or via fax (required)
4. Your application or resume must show that you possess a current, unrestricted license in a US state, territory or commonwealth. Licenses showing as expired will not be accepted. (required)
5. If prior military service, include all copies of your DD Forms 214 or proof of service. Applicants claiming preference based on service-connected disability, or based on being the spouse or mother of a disabled or deceased Veteran, must also complete and submit an SF 15, Application for 10-Point Veteran Preference (available at http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/SF15.pdf ).
6. SF-50 (required), you are required tosubmit most recent non-award SF-50 (Displays grade, tenure and title. Federal employees may be able to access their SF-50 through the eOPF https://eopf.nbc.gov/va/).
Please use this checklist to make sure you have included other documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), documentation to support Veterans Preference claims, or ICTAP/CTAP documentation (for displaced Federal employees). You will not be contacted for additional information.
Veterans' Preference: When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference on the Occupational Questionnaire in the section provided and provide a legible copy of your DD214(s) and/or documentation related to your active duty service which shows dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), or dates of impending separation. Additionally, disabled veterans and others eligible for 10-point preference (such as widows or mothers of eligible Veterans) must also submit an SF-15 "Application for 10 Point Veterans Preference" with required proof as stated on the form. For more information, please review the information for disabled Veterans in the application checklist or visit http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/index.aspx.
Faxing Applications or Supporting Documents:
You are encouraged to apply online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application. If you are unable to apply online or unable to upload your supporting documents to your online application, follow the directions located at the following site: Fax Options. The Vacancy ID of the job opportunity announcement is 2006482. TheOccupational Questionnaire can be viewed hereView Occupational Questionnaireto complete the 1203-FX.
NOTE: If you applied online and your application is complete, do not fax the paper application (1203-FX) as this will overwrite your prior online responses and may result in you being found ineligible.