Registered Nurse (Quality Specialist)
Registered Nurse (Staff)(Quality Specialist)
- Responsible for managing nurse quality initiative for the Associate Director Patient Care Service (ADPCS)
- Assists in planning, designing, integrating, implementing and modifying quality management activities and assists at the service level for organizational wide performance
- Knowledgeable of various programs impacting staffing to include risk management, patient safety, internal surveys, external survey organizations, performance measures
- Performs at a level that impacts nursing units and programs services within ADPCS and the Medical Center
- Contributes to department and or facility policy development, planning, and evaluation that impact the delivery and quality of care provided
- Collaborates with Quality Management staff to promote quality and facilitate consistency in performance improvement efforts
- Maintains a record of all unit quality measures, collects data, tracks and trends quality performance for ADPCS
- Prepares reports and briefs nursing leadership on findings and provides clinical and administrative recommendations relative to quality assessment and improvement functions
- Performs clinical nurse observation rounds on units weekly and improve practice of nursing
- Participates on medical center committees, teams and task forces to improve the outcome of patient care
- Performs other duties as assigned to the position
Work Schedule: Monday - Friday; 08:00 - 4:30 pm
Functional Statement #: F557547BASIC REQUIREMENTS:
- U.S. citizenship. Non-citizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Full unrestricted Licensure, Certification, or Registration required
Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing.
- The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6)
- Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
The following criteria must be met in determining the grade assignment of candidates, and if appropriate, the level within a grade:
- Nurse I Level I - An Associate Degree (ADN) or Diploma in Nursing, with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse I Level II - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 1 year of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelor's degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience; OR a Bachelor's of Science in Nursing (BSN) with no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse I Level III - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a BSN with approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing (MSN) or related field with a BSN and no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse II - A BSN with approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing or related field with a BSN and approximately 1-2 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse III - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or related field and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience.
Preferred Experience: MSN preferredExperience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Physical Requirements: This position requires potentially long periods of continued walking, standing, stooping, sitting, bending, and pushing. Transferring patients, moderate lifting of 15-44 pounds, ability to distinguish basic colors and hearing without aids. The mental/sensory requirements include recall, reasoning, problem-solving, hearing, speaking clearly, writing legibly, keyboarding, reading and logical thinking. The environment's pace can vary from steady to a sometimes fast pace requiring handling of multiple priorities, frequent sometimes intense customer interactions, and the ability to adapt to frequent changes in a sometimes noisy environment. There may be the need to use personal protective equipment to prevent exposure to disease, illness and hazardous materials.
- Resume (Ensure each employment entry has a beginning and ending date) example: dd/mm/yy - dd/mm/yy
- Occupational Questionnaire
- VA Form 10-2850a - Application for Nurse and Nurse Anesthetist (Available at http://vaww.va.gov/vaforms/medical/pdf/vha-10-2850a-091998-fill.pdf) (required).
- Optional Form 306 - Declaration for Federal Employment (http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/of0306.pdf). This is a required form and must be submitted with your application.
- If prior military service, include all copies of your DD Forms 214 (required). Applicants claiming preference based on service-connected disability, or based on being the spouse or mother of a disabled or deceased Veteran, must also complete and submit an SF 15, Application for 10-Point Veteran Preference (available at http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/SF15.pdf).
- If currently or previously employed with Federal Government, include latest SF-50 - Notification of Personnel Action. (required).
Please use this checklist to make sure you have included other documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), documentation to support Veterans Preference claims, or ICTAP/CTAP documentation (for displaced Federal employees). You will not be contacted for additional information.
Veterans' Preference: When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference on the Occupational Questionnaire in the section provided and provide a legible copy of your DD214(s) and/or documentation related to your active duty service which shows dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), or dates of impending separation. Additionally, disabled veterans and others eligible for 10-point preference (such as widows or mothers of eligible Veterans) must also submit an SF-15 "Application for 10 Point Veterans Preference" with required proof as stated on the form. For more information, please visit http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/index.aspx.
Faxing Applications or Supporting Documents: You are encouraged to apply online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application. If you are unable to apply online or unable to upload your supporting documents to your online application, follow the directions located at the following site: Fax Options. The Vacancy ID of the job opportunity announcement is 2005590.
NOTE: If you applied online and your application is complete, do not fax the paper application (1203-FX) as this will overwrite your prior online responses and may result in you being found ineligible.