RN -(Home Based Primary Care)
The Home Based Primary Care staff nurse functions as a care manager for a select group of patients in the rural /urban communityand is responsible for planning, implementing and evaluating the function of an interdisciplinary team in coordinating patient care and treatment plans. Identifies and screens high-risk patients, utilizes nursing process to assess needs, formulate, implement and evaluate plans of care and documents all case actions by means of electronic progress notes in the Geriatrics & Extended Care Line and Nursing Service. Provides patients and families information on available community healthcare resources and requests referrals as appropriate. Solicits patients/caregiver participation in plan of care, informs PCP and Nurse Manager/Program Managerof patient care issues in a timely manner, and demonstrates effective caseload management ability. Participates in performance improvement activities for Home Care, becomes competent in Care Coordination Home TeleHealth and regularly attends staff meetings, in-services and Interdisciplinary Team Meetings. Travel required daily. This position will primarily operate in therural andurbancommunityfrom theCastle Point Campus andmay have to travel to Montrose Campus, Community Based Outpatient Clinics (CBOCs)and veterans homes.
Position may entail other duties as assigned and travel between the two campuses with an administratively approved flexible time schedule to meet the needs of the staff and unit needs.
Relocation expenses will not be reimbursed.
Functional Statement Title/#: Nurse I-III
This position does not require the selected applicant to file a Confidential Financial Disclosure Report
- U.S. citizenship. Non-citizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing.The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6)
- Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
- Physical standards
- English Language Proficiency
- Nurse I Level I - An Associate Degree (ADN) or Diploma in Nursing, with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse I Level II - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 1 year of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelor's degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience; OR a Bachelor's of Science in Nursing (BSN) with no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse I Level III - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a BSN with approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing (MSN) or related field with a BSN and no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse II - A BSN with approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing or related field with a BSN and approximately 1-2 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse III - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or related field and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience.
BSN Degree preferred.
2-3 years professional nursing experience preferred.
BLS required/ACLS Certification preferred.
Your salary and grade will be determined by the Nurse Professional Standards Board (NPSB). The NPSB is a peer review process. The NPSB will review your individual qualifications, education, professional training/internship(s) and professional experience to determine the most appropriate salary and grade based on your individual accomplishments.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Physical Requirements: The physical requirements of this position include lifting, prolonged standing and sitting, frequent bending, walking (distance), climbing, reaching (overhead, extensive/repetitive), pulling, pushing, repetitive motionand stooping. The mental/sensory requirements include recall, reasoning, problem-solving, hearing, speaking clearly, writing legibly, keyboarding, reading and logical thinking, depth perception , hearing (aide permitted); near/far vision correctable to meet Driver's License requirements. The environment's pace can vary from steady to a sometimes fast pace requiring handling of multiple priorities, frequent, sometimes intense customer interactions, and the ability to adapt to frequent changes in a sometimes noisy environment. There may be the need to use personal protective equipment to prevent exposure to disease, illness and hazardous materials.
Work requires extensive walking, standing, stretching and bending in caring for patients.
All applicants are required to submit the following supporting document type(s):
*Other(VA Application 10-2850a)
Applicants may also submit the following supporting document type(s),which may not be required for all applicants:*Cover Letter
*Other Veterans Document
VAApplication 10-2850a - Application for Nurses and Nurse Anesthetists (Required if you are not a current Hudson Valley VA RN employee; if you do not submit this form, you will NOT be considered) Available at thefollowing link: http://www.va.gov/vaforms/medical/pdf/vha-10-2850a-fill.pdf
Please use this checklist to make sure you have included other documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), documentation to support Veterans Preference claims, etc. You will not be contacted for additional information.
Veterans' Preference: When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference for 5pt (TP), or 10pt (CP/CPS, XPP, XP), or for Sole Survivor Preference (SSP), on the Occupational Questionnaire in the section(s) provided. A legible copy of your DD214(s) indicating character of service, disability certification, SF-15 (if claiming 10 pt. preference) or if you are currently serving on active duty and expected to be released or discharged within 120 days; documentation related to your active duty service which reflects the dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), or dates of impending separation. Documentation is required for eligibility verification.
Faxing Applications or Supporting Documents: You are encouraged to apply online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application. If you are unable to apply online or unable to upload your supporting documents to your online application, follow the directions located at the following site: Fax Options. The Vacancy ID of the job opportunity announcement is 2005882.
NOTE: If you applied online and your application is complete, do not fax the paper application (1203-FX) as this will overwrite your prior online responses and may result in you being found ineligible.