Clinical Nurse Leader (Med/Surg)
This Clinical Nurse Leader (CNL) position is located on the Medical-Surgical Unit at the Topeka VAMC. TheCNL is an advanced generalist prepared at the Master's degree level. The CNL role involves the holistic knowing of patients, enhanced communication amongst caregivers and lateral integration of care. The CNL shall establish a strong partnership with the mix of staff to deliver optimal care ensuring safety and quality outcomes. The CNLis directly responsible to the Associate Chief Nurse in the assigned area and is responsible and accountable for the coordination of care for a culturally diverse Veteran population. The CNL possesses the knowledge and skills to effectively apply all aspects of the nursing process and care management principles within a collaborative, interdisciplinary practice setting, which enables effective implementation of health promotion and prevention practices, management of acute and chronic illnesses and attainment of appropriate lengths of stay and most effective level of care. This includes understanding changes associated with aging and principles of growth and development relevant to the adult and geriatric population. The CNL develops a high level of clinical practice, leadership and skills to improve/coordinate patient care for an adult population. The practice of the CNL is based on knowledge, experience, and research expected to impact patient outcomes in the assigned area and for the facility. As a role model, the CNL executes position responsibilities that demonstrate leadership, experience and creative approaches in the management of complex patient care. The CNL's knowledge, experience, and use of evidence-based practice provides leadership in identifying opportunities for improvement and in developing approaches which positively impact patient outcomes including cost effective care, length of stay, level of care, patient safety, and patient satisfaction. Excellent customer service and communication skills are required.
Preferred Education/Experience: Master's degree in Nursing (Clinical Nurse Leader) and ANCC Clinical Nurse Leader (CNL) Certification. Two years clinical acute care nursing experience preferred.
Work Schedule: Full-time, Days with rotation
Functional Statement Title: Clinical Nurse Leader
- U.S. citizenship. Non-citizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Full unrestricted Licensure, Certification, or Registration required
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing.
- The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6)
- Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
- Grade Determinations:
The following criteria must be met in determining the grade assignment of candidates, and if appropriate, the level within a grade:
- Nurse I Level I - An Associate Degree (ADN) or Diploma in Nursing, with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse I Level II - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 1 year of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelor's degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience; OR a Bachelor's of Science in Nursing (BSN) with no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse I Level III - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a BSN with approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing (MSN) or related field with a BSN and no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse II - A BSN with approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing or related field with a BSN and approximately 1-2 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse III - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or related field and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Physical Requirements:?, The physical requirements for this position in accordance with HRML No. 05-12-02 , Employment of People with Disabilities, Including Under Schedule A, 5 CFR 213.3102(u). Heavy Lifting (45 pounds and over); Heavy Carrying (45 pounds and over); Straight pulling and/or Pushing (up to 6-8 hours); Reaching above shoulder; Use of fingers; Both Hands required; Walking (up to 6-8 hours); Standing (up to 4 hours); Sitting (up to 1 hour); Kneeling; Repeated bending (up to 1 hour); Both legs required. Near vision correctable at 13" to 16"; Far vision correctable in one eye to 20/20; Hearing (aid permitted); Ability to hear whispered voice. Emotional stability. Ability for rapid mental and muscular coordination simultaneously.
All applicants are required to submit the following supporting document type(s):
Applicants may also submit the following supporting document type(s),which may not be required for all applicants:*Cover Letter
*Other Veterans Document
VA Form 10-2850a - Application for Nurses and Nurse Anesthetists (recommended) Available at the VA Forms website: http://www.va.gov/vaforms/search_action.asp?FormNo=10-2850&tkey=&Action=Search
Please use this checklist to make sure you have included other documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), documentation to support Veterans Preference claims, etc. You will not be contacted for additional information.
Veterans' Preference: When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference for 5pt (TP), or 10pt (CP/CPS, XPP, XP), or for Sole Survivor Preference (SSP), on the Occupational Questionnaire in the section(s) provided. A legible copy of your DD214(s), VA letter and SF-15 if claiming 10 pt. preference or if you currently on active duty; a certification of expected discharge or release from active duty stating you are expecting to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days must be submitted with your application for eligibility verification.
Faxing Applications or Supporting Documents: You are encouraged to apply online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application. If you are unable to apply online or unable to upload your supporting documents to your online application, follow the directions located at the following site: Fax Options. The Vacancy ID of the job opportunity announcement is 2005184.
NOTE: If you applied online and your application is complete, do not fax the paper application (1203-FX) as this will overwrite your prior online responses and may result in you being found ineligible.