Registered Nurse (RN), (Community Nursing Home Program)
This position is located at the Portland VA Vancouver, WA campus. The Community Nursing Home Program (CNHP) is located within the Home & Community Based Services Department within the Rehabilitation & Long Term Care Division of the VA Portland Health Care System (VAPORHCS). The CNHP Nurse is responsible for routine visits to Veterans in placement at contracted nursing homes. The incumbent will ensure that Veterans are receiving safe and adequate care and provide consultation to facility staff as needed. In addition, the incumbent will assist with coordination of services between contract nursing home staff and VAPORHCS staff to ensure continuity of care. The RN in this position will evaluate the Veteran's need for ongoing care in the nursing home setting and provide assessments regarding appropriate level of care. The CNHP Nurse will complete and document investigations of any complaints, as well as adverse and/or sentinel events occurring in a contracted home. Lastly, he/she will coordinate with the State Client Monitoring Unit and/or Adult Protective Services regarding these incidents as appropriate.
WORK SCHEDULE: Intermittent, Monday - Friday, 7:30 am - 4:00 pm
FUNCTIONAL STATEMENT TITLE: Nurse I Level 1/2/3; Nurse II, Nurse III, Community Nursing Home Program RN.
- U.S. citizenship. Non-citizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Full unrestricted Licensure, Certification, or Registration required
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing. The completion of course work equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6)
- Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
- Nurse I Level I - An Associate Degree (ADN) or Diploma in Nursing, no experience.
- Nurse I Level II - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 1 year of experience, or an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelor's degree in a related field and no experience; or a Bachelors of Science in Nursing (BSN) and no experience.
- Nurse I Level III - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 2-3 years of experience, or an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelors degree in a related field and approximately 1-2 years of experience; or a BSN with approximately 1-2 years of experience, or a Master's degree in nursing (MSN) or related field with a BSN and no experience.
- Nurse II - A BSN with approximately 2-3 years of experience, or ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelors degree in a related field and approximately 2-3 years experience or a Master's degree in nursing or related field with a BSN and approximately 1-2 years experience, or a Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral degree in a related field with no experience.
- Nurse III - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 2-3 years experience or Doctoral degree in nursing or related field and approximately 2-3 years experience.?,
GRADE DETERMINATIONS: Experience as a RN will be evaluated to determine if the experience is of an acceptable level of quality with regard to the following four dimensions of nursing: Practice, Professional Development, Collaboration and Scientific Inquiry. Each dimension of practice has criteria that demonstrate essential core competencies for VHA Nursing Personnel. The criteria are as follows:
- Practice: practice, ethics and resource utilization;
- Professional Development: performance, education/career development;
- Collaboration; collaboration, collegiality;
- Scientific Inquiry: quality of care, research.
REFERENCE: VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-6 Nurse Qualification Standard. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office
- 3-5 years Clinical experience
- Nursing home experience
- Valid drivers license and proof of insurability
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Physical Requirements: Moderate Carrying (15-44lbs); Straight Pulling (up to 1 hour); Pushing (1 ?,- 2 hours); Reaching above shoulder; Use of fingers; Both hands required; Walking (up to 4 hours); Standing (up to 4 hours); Repeated bending (up to 3 hours); Ability for rapid mental and muscular coordination simultaneously; Near vision correctable at 13" to 16"; Far vision correctable in one eye to 20/20 and to 20/40 in the other; Ability to distinguish basic colors; Ability to distinguish shades of color; Emotional and Mental stability; Hearing (aid permitted)
The following documents are required by all applicants:
Please use this checklist to make sure you have included other documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), documentation to support Veterans Preference claims, or ICTAP/CTAP documentation (for displaced Federal employees). You will not be contacted for additional information.
1. Resume (required)
2. VA Form 10-2850a
- Application for Nurses and Nurse Anesthetists
(Rev Jul 2016) (required)
3. Responses to the questionnaire (required)
4. Official or unofficial Copy of your transcript. (optional) Note: will be required upon selection.
5. SF-50- (required) If you are a current or former federal employee this document is required if using this to support eligibility for the position. please submit most recent non-award SF-50 (Displays grade, tenure and title. Federal employees may be able to access their SF-50 through the eOPF https://eopf.nbc.gov/va/)
If you are a preference eligible Veteran you need to include the following documents in addition to the above required documents:
6. SF-15, Application for 10-Point Veteran Preference, available at http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/index.aspx, if applicable
7. Veteran Administration Letter of Disability Rating, If applicable.
8. DD Form 214 (Member 4 copy) Showing Type of Discharge
Any other documents required by the checklist.
All applicants are required to submit the following supporting document type(s):
*Other(VA Form 10-2850a)
Applicants may also submit the following supporting document type(s),which may not be required for all applicants:*Cover Letter
*Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs)
*Other Veterans Document
Veterans' Preference: When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference on the Occupational Questionnaire in the section provided and provide a legible copy of your DD214(s) and/or documentation related to your active duty service which shows dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), or dates of impending separation. Additionally, disabled veterans and others eligible for 10-point preference (such as widows or mothers of eligible Veterans) must also submit an SF-15 "Application for 10 Point Veterans Preference" with required proof as stated on the form. For more information, please visit http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/index.aspx.