Registered Nurse-Intensive Care Unit (Main Hospital)
Roles and Responsibilities
1. Demonstrates integration of bio psychological concepts, cognitive skills, and technically competent practice in providing care to patients with basic or complex needs.
2. Directly responsible to designated manager in the assigned area.
3. Responsible and accountable for the provision of direct patient care and for the delivery of quality nursing care to a culturally diverse veteran patient population.
4. Possesses knowledge and skills to effectively apply all aspects of the nursing process within a collaborative, interdisciplinary practice setting.
5. Demonstrate knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to age related needs of patients served in the assigned area of practice. The knowledge includes understanding changes associated with aging and principles of growth and development relevant to the adult and geriatric population.
6. Possess the ability to communicate and interact appropriately and courteously with all internal and external customers.
7. Maintain confidentiality of electronic, written, and/or verbal patient/employee information.
8. Demonstrate working practices that include adherence to Infection Control standards and the safe use and operation of equipment.
9. Assesses, plans, implements and evaluates care based on age-specific components.
10. Provides care in a safe and cost effective manner.
11. ACLS required for this position.
Work Schedule: Weekly 12hr shifts available with Shared rotation of holidays and weekends required.
Functional Statement Title/#:RN
* U.S. Citizenship. Non-citizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA policy.
*Full, unrestricted Licensure, Certification, or Registration required.
*Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing. The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6).
*Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e. Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
Preferred/Required Experience:ICU experience required. ACLS required.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Reference: R users -Input applicable VA Handbook 5005 reference and appropriate VA Qualification Standard. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
Heavy Lifting (45 lbs. and over); Heavy Carrying (45 lbs. and over); Straight Pulling (up to 1 hour); Pushing (1-2 hours); Reaching above shoulder; Use of fingers; Both hands required; Walking (up to 3 hours); Standing (up to 3 hours); Repeated bending (up to 1 hour); Ability for rapid mental and muscular coordination simultaneously. This position requires visual acuity, keen hearing, clear distinctive speech, and manual dexterity. This position requires potentially long periods of continued walking, standing, stooping, sitting, bending, pulling, and pushing. The incumbent must be a mature, flexible, sensible individual capable of working effectively in stressful situations. Must complete annual Employee Health requirements, such as annual TB screening or testing, as a condition of employment. Reasonable accommodation may be considered in determining an applicant's ability to per the duties/functions of the position. See VA Directive and Handbook 5019.All applicants are required to submit the following supporting document type(s):
Applicants may also submit the following supporting document type(s),which may not be required for all applicants:*DD-214
Please use this checklist to ensure you have included other documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), documentation to support Veterans Preference claims, etc. You will not be contacted for additional information.
Veterans' Preference: When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference for 5pt (TP), or 10pt (CP/CPS, XPP, XP), or for Sole Survivor Preference (SSP), on the Occupational Questionnaire in the section(s) provided. A legible copy of your DD214(s) indicating character of service, disability certification, SF-15 (if claiming 10 pt. preference) or if you are currently serving on active duty and expected to be released or discharged within 120 days; documentation related to your active duty service which reflects the dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), or dates of impending separation. Documentation is required for eligibility verification.
Faxing Applications or Supporting Documents: You are encouraged to apply online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application. If you are unable to apply online or unable to upload your supporting documents to your online application, follow the directions located at the following site: Fax Options. The Vacancy ID of the job opportunity announcement is 2004778.
NOTE: If you applied online and your application is complete, do not fax the paper application (1203-FX) as this will overwrite your prior online responses and may result in you being found ineligible.