Registered Nurse Practitioner (Mental Health)
The Clinical Nurse Practitioner is accountable to the Outpatient Mental Health Supervisor/Lead Psychiatrist. Supervision is normally limited to administrative matters with minimal technical supervision required. All functions and responsibilities are carried out in the context of multidisciplinary collaborative relationships in support of patient care goals. Care is directed towardthe age-specific and developmental needs of the patient population. Duties includebut are not limited to:
- Diagnose, examine, evaluate and manage psychiatric patients.
- Field phone inquiries from patients.
- Provide consultative/liaison services and interface with physicians and providers within the John J. Pershing VAMC.
- Handle special mental health patients and participate in ongoing education and research projects.
- Communicate and interact with internal and external customers in a courteous and professional manner.
- Maintain confidentiality of patient/employee information.
- Provide services within a safe manner to include infection control and operation of equipment.
- Utilize nursing research and literature in daily practice.
- Assure age-related needs of patients are addressed in educational programs.
Work Schedule: Monday - Friday 8am-4:30pm, however occasionally may require on-call.
Functional Statement Title/#:Clinical Nurse Practitioner,Mental HealthServiceBasic Requirements:
- U.S. citizenship. Non-citizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Full unrestricted Licensure, Certification, or Registration required
Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing. **The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies forprofessional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professionalnursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with acopy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6).
- Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
The nurse practitioner must be licensed or otherwise recognized as a nurse practitioner in a State, possess a master's degree from a program accredited by the NLNAC or CCNE, and maintain full and current certification as a nurse practitioner from the American Nurses Association or another nationally recognized certifying body. [The certification must be in the specialty (Mental Health) to which the individual is being appointed or selected.]
Grade Determinations:The following criteria must be met in determining the grade assignment of candidates, and if appropriate, the level within a grade:
- Nurse I Level III - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 2-3 years of experience, or an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelors degree in a related field and approximately 1-2 years of experience; or a BSN with approximately 1-2 years of experience, or a Master's degree in nursing (MSN) or related field with a BSN and no experience.
- Nurse II - A BSN with approximately 2-3 years of experience, or ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelors degree in a related field and approximately 2-3 years experience or a Master's degree in nursing or related field with a BSN and approximately 1-2 years experience, or a Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral degree in a related field with no experience.
- Nurse III - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 2-3 years experience or Doctoral degree in nursing or related field and approximately 2-3 year of nursing practice/experience.
Preferred Experience: Providing mental health care treatment within a psychiatric/mental healthteam.Physical Requirements:This position will require the following physical requirements: Heavy lifting (45lbs or above). NOTE: lifting will typically be assisted, Moderate carrying, walking (5-7 hours daily), standing (5-7 hours daily), repeated bending (1 hour) and climbing (stairs).
All applicants are required to submit the following supporting document type(s):
Applicants may also submit the following supporting document type(s),which may not be required for all applicants:*Cover Letter
*Other(OTHER REQUIRED FORMS VA FORM 10 2850A, TRANSCRIPT, TRANSCRIPT, MH CERTIFICATION AND LICENSE)
*Other Veterans Document
VA Form 10-2850a - Application for Nurses and Nurse Anesthetists (Available http://www.va.gov/vaforms/medical/pdf/vha-10-2850a-fill.pdf) (required).
Please use this checklist to ensure you have included other documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), documentation to support Veterans Preference claims, or ICTAP/CTAP documentation (for displaced Federal employees). You will not be contacted for additional information.
Veterans' Preference: When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference on the Occupational Questionnaire in the section provided and provide a legible copy of your DD214(s) and/or documentation related to your active duty service which shows dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), or dates of impending separation. Additionally, disabled veterans and others eligible for 10-point preference (such as widows or mothers of eligible Veterans) must also submit an SF-15 "Application for 10 Point Veterans Preference" with required proof as stated on the form. For more information, please visit http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/index.aspx.
Faxing Applications or Supporting Documents: You are encouraged to apply online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application. If you are unable to apply online or unable to upload your supporting documents to your online application, follow the directions located at the following site: Fax Options. The Vacancy ID of the job opportunity announcement is 1919457.
NOTE: If you applied online and your application is complete, do not fax the paper application (1203-FX) as this will overwrite your prior online responses and may result in you being found ineligible.