RN Staff Nurse - Critical Care
5 days left
- Full Time
VA Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System
The VA Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System is seeking highly skilled and experienced critical care RNs for our busy, expanded Critical Care Department. Our ICU has 36 beds and provides service to both medical and surgical intensive care patients, specializing in cardio-vascular surgeries. As one of the ICU Staff Nurses, you will be expected to complete the training for the care of the post-operative cardio-thoracic patient within the first year. You will be responsible to the Nurse Manager of your assigned area and for the organization and administration of high quality and efficient patient care to our unique patient population.
Job duties include, but are not limited to the following:
1) Assure detailed, current and comprehensive documentation is contained in the patient medical record and other pertinent records.
2) Utilize human and material resources to provide efficient and effective patient care.
3) Evaluate systems for patient care delivery and personnel management by tailoring the operating environment to the particular needs of the patient population.
4) Promote participation with the Quality Management Program in the Clinical, Research and Educational Programs.
5) Develop and support research projects directed toward improving patient care and staff development.
6) Provide a safe and healthful physical environment for patients and personnel by interpreting and applying organizational controls and national standards.
7) Assure continuing improvement of service to patients, including implementation of an effective customer service program.
8) Understand and facilitate the objectives of student affiliation programs.
9) Ensure compliance with all patient rights and regulatory agency standards.
10) Collaborate with the other health care professionals in providing continuity of services for specific health issues.
11) Improves continuity of professional relationships among the health care team as they collaborate on behalf of patients.
12) Perform emergent care in acute/crisis situations.
13) Perform ongoing monitoring of patient conditions and document patient responses to care in a clear, concise manner.
14) Review and update patient databases, patient care plans and other forms as appropriate.
15) Interact with the family and/or significant others to facilitate patient care.
16) Successfully completetrainingfor the care of the post-operative cardio-thoracic patient within the first year.
Duty Location: VA Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System ~ Bldg 500
11301 Wilshire Blvd Los Angeles CA 90073
Work Schedule: Various 12 hour shifts (7a -7:30p and/or 7p-7:30a with one 8 hour shift every 2 weeks); all day shift positions are to be rotated to cover the evening and night shift as needed
Functional Statement Title: Staff NurseBASIC REQUIREMENTS:
- U.S. citizenship. Non-citizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia
The Greater Los Angeles VA Medical Center is seeking highly skilled and experienced critical care RNs for our busy, expanded Critical Care Department. Our ICU has 36 beds and provides service to both medical and surgical intensive care patients, specializing in cardio-vascular surgeries. As one of the ICU Staff Nurses, you will be responsible to the Nurse Manager of your assigned area and will be responsible for the organization and administration of high quality and efficient patient care to our unique patient population.
Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration AND degreeequivalency documentationwill meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing.
- The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6)
- English Language Proficiency
- Nurse I Level I - An Associate Degree (ADN) or Diploma in Nursing, with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse I Level II - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 1 year of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelor's degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience; OR a Bachelor's of Science in Nursing (BSN) with no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse I Level III - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a BSN with approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing (MSN) or related field with a BSN and no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse II - A BSN with approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing or related field with a BSN and approximately 1-2 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse III - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or related field and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience.
- BSN preferred
- Completion of a critical care course/training/orientation preferred
- Basic Life Support (BLS) certification from one of the following is required; American Heart Association - Basic Life Support for Healthcare Providers or the Military Training Network (MTN) Provider certificate/card
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) certification from the American Heart Association
- Minimum of at least two (2) years of current, full-time Adult critical care experience within the last 3 years preferred and/or
Minimum of at least one (1) year of current, full-time cardio-thoracic experience preferred
- Experience with Intra-Aortic Balloon Pump, CRRT and transvenous cardiac pacer, preferred
- Evidence of self-direction or organizational skills
- Evidence of effectively educating patients and patient families
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Physical Requirements: This position requires visual acuity, keen hearing, clear distinctive speech, and manual dexterity. This position requires potentially long periods of continued walking, standing, stooping, sitting, bending, kneeling, pulling, and pushing. Transferring patients and objects may be required. The candidate may be exposed to infected patients and contaminated materials and may be required to don protective clothing in isolation situations or operative/invasive procedures. The candidate may occasionally be exposed to patients who are combative secondary to delirium, dementia, or psychiatric disorders. The incumbent must be a mature, flexible, sensible individual capable of working effectively in stressful situations, able to shift priorities based on patient needs. The candidate will be working closely with others and may have protracted or irregular hours of work.
All applicants are required to submit the following supporting document type(s):
Applicants may also submit the following supporting document type(s),which may not be required for all applicants:*Cover Letter
*Other Veterans Document
Please use this checklist to ensure you have included other documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), documentation to support Veterans Preference claims, etc. You will not be contacted for additional information.
VA Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System Employees ONLY:
1. Memo to be uploaded - Include your (1) Full Name, (2) Current Department, (3) Contact Number, (4) Signature and (5) VIN1910452 (required)
2. Resume to be uploaded - with references (required)
3. Answer the Online Questionnaire (required)
For all others, to apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
1. Completed Online Questionnaire
2. CV or Resume
3. VA Form 10- 2850a - Application For Nurses And Nurse Anesthetists (Available at http://www.va.gov/vaforms/medical/pdf/vha-10-2850a-fill.pdf
4. Proof of current certification, licensure or registration
5. Unofficial transcript(s) - official college transcript(s) will be required before being hired.
6. Optional Form 306 - Declaration for Federal Employment (Available at http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/of0306.pdf).
Veterans must submit appropriate documentation as described in this vacancy announcement.
If currently employed in the VA system, include a copy of your latest SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action.
Veterans' Preference: When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference for 5pt (TP), or 10pt (CP/CPS, XPP, XP), or for Sole Survivor Preference (SSP), on the Occupational Questionnaire in the section(s) provided. A legible copy of your DD214(s) indicating character of service, disability certification, SF-15 (if claiming 10 pt. preference) or if you are currently serving on active duty and expected to be released or discharged within 120 days; documentation related to your active duty service which reflects the dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), or dates of impending separation. Documentation is required for eligibility verification.
Faxing Applications or Supporting Documents: You are encouraged to apply online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application. If you are unable to apply online or unable to upload your supporting documents to your online application, follow the directions located at the following site: Fax Options. The Vacancy ID of the job opportunity announcement is 1910452.
NOTE: If you applied online and your application is complete, do not fax the paper application (1203-FX) as this will overwrite your prior online responses and may result in you being found ineligible
Qualified candidates will be referred every2 -3 weeks beginning February 21,2017 until all positions are filled. Selections may be made at any time; therefore, applicants are encouraged not to delay in submitting a complete application packet. The announcement will be closed once the positions have been filled. All applicants may receive consideration for six months from the date of application.