Registered Nurse Manager
4 days left
- Full Time
The Nurse Manager is directly responsible to the Assistant Chief Nurse, Geriatrics but practices independently, exercising initiative and independent judgment in daily activities. Supervision/ consultation is of an administrative and professional nature in compliance with the guidelines as to the general policy and direction of the Programs the incumbent coordinates. The Nurse Manager provides direct supervision of Home Based Primary Care and Hospital @ Home nursing staff as well as directs the day to day functions of a multidisciplinary team. Collaboration with multiple medical and allied health professional staff is essential. Coverage for outpatient Home and Community Care is provided by VA staffing, through contract arrangements or by fee-basing payment for services; services include home based primary care, Hospital @ Home, contract community nursing home, contract adult day health care, homemaker/home health aide, etc.
The Nurse Manager for Home & Community:
- Demonstrates ability to function effectively as a manager requiring application of problem solving skills at the unit or team level, and uses team approaches to identify, analyze and resolve problems;
- Monitors the development of the initial nursing plan and updates to the plan, serving as a resources person to less experienced staff and acts as a leader in developing standards of care;
- Documents and rates administrative and clinical information in a thorough and accurate manner;
- Initiates action to resolve ethical/legal issues related to nursing practice in collaboration with appropriate resource people;
- Acts as a patient advocate when patient self-determination is in questions;
- Identifies potential problems involving resources/and or safety and takes action to avert or manage the situation in a manner that meets the needs of patients in a safe/ therapeutic manner;
- Pursues an educational plan to maintain/improve knowledge in a specialized area of professional practice;
- Identifies problem areas for monitoring and evaluation, active in analyzing findings and changing practice based on quality improvement findings with resultant improvement in patient care.
Work Schedule: Monday - Friday, 7:30AM to 4:00PM; As patient care dictates
Functional Statement Title/#: Nurse Manager, Home & Community Services Nurse II &Nurse III is on file in Human Resources Management in New Orleans, LA.
- U.S. citizenship. Non-citizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing.
- The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6)
- Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
- Nurse I Level I - An Associate Degree (ADN) or Diploma in Nursing, with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse I Level II - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 1 year of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelor's degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience; OR a Bachelor's of Science in Nursing (BSN) with no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse I Level III - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a BSN with approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing (MSN) or related field with a BSN and no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse II - A BSN with approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing or related field with a BSN and approximately 1-2 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse III - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or related field and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Physical Requirements: This position requires visual activity, keen hearing, clear distinctive speech, and manual dexterity. This position requires potentially long periods of continued walking, standing, stooping, sitting, bending, pulling, and pushing.Transferring patients/residents and objects may be required.The incumbent may be exposed to infected patients/residents and contaminated materials and may be required to don protective clothing in isolation situations or operative/invasive procedures.The incumbent may occasionally be exposed to patients/residents who are combative secondary to delirium, dementia, or psychiatric disorders.The incumbent must be a mature, flexible, sensible individual capable of working effectively in stressful situations, able to shift priorities based on Veteran needs.All applicants are required to submit the following supporting document type(s):
Applicants may also submit the following supporting document type(s),which may not be required for all applicants:
*Other Veterans Document
VA Form 10-2850a - Application for Nurses and Nurse Anesthetists (required) Available at the VA Forms website: http://www.va.gov/vaforms/search_action.asp?FormNo=10-2850&tkey=&Action=Search
Please use this checklist to make sure you have included other documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), documentation to support Veterans Preference claims, etc. You will not be contacted for additional information.
Veterans' Preference: When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference for 5pt (TP), or 10pt (CP/CPS, XPP, XP), or for Sole Survivor Preference (SSP), on the Occupational Questionnaire in the section(s) provided. A legible copy of your DD214(s) indicating character of service, disability certification, SF-15 (if claiming 10 pt. preference) or if you are currently serving on active duty and expected to be released or discharged within 120 days; documentation related to your active duty service which reflects the dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), or dates of impending separation. Documentation is required for eligibility verification.
Faxing Applications or Supporting Documents: You are encouraged to apply online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application. If you are unable to apply online or unable to upload your supporting documents to your online application, follow the directions located at the following site: Fax Options. The Vacancy ID of the job opportunity announcement is 1566065.
NOTE: If you applied online and your application is complete, do not fax the paper application (1203-FX) as this will overwrite your prior online responses and may result in you being found ineligible.