RN - Operating Room
VA North Texas Health Care System currently has apositionin the Operating Room. The following is a list of skills and characteristics which are essential attributes of this assignment:
- Incumbent must be self-directed and competent to work independently.
- Ability to work with teams of various professions.
- Ability to work under stressful situations.
- Physical ability to stand for long periods of time when in the scrub role.
- Ability to work various shifts and take call on a rotating basis.
- Ability to scrub and circulate for all surgical specialties, unit-specific orientation will be provided.
- Ability to scrub and circulate Cardio-Thoracic procedures is preferred.
Work Schedule: Various shifts and on-call and Holidays on a rotating basis
Relocation Expenses: Relocation expenses are not authorized for this position.
Recruitment/Relocation Incentive IS authorized for this position.BASIC REQUIREMENTS:
- U.S. citizenship. Non-citizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing.
- The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6)
- Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
- Nurse I Level I - An Associate Degree (ADN) or Diploma in Nursing, with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse I Level II - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 1 year of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelor's degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience; OR a Bachelor's of Science in Nursing (BSN) with no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse I Level III - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a BSN with approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing (MSN) or related field with a BSN and no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse II - A BSN with approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing or related field with a BSN and approximately 1-2 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse III - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or related field and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience.
Preferred Experience: BSN preferred, a minimum of one year of current or recent experience in the OR required.Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference on their application or rÃ©sumÃ©. Applicants claiming preference based on service-connected disability, or based on being the spouse or mother of a disabled or deceased Veteran, must complete an SF 15, Application for 10-Point Veteran Preference. Veterans who are still in the service may be granted tentative preference on the basis of information contained in their applications, but they must produce a DD Form 214 or other proof prior to appointment to document entitlement to preference. For more information on Veterans' Preference, please visit http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/veterans.aspx.
Physical Requirements: Heavy Lifting (45 lbs and over); Heavy Carrying (45 lbs and over); Pushing and pulling (up to 4 hours); Reaching above shoulder; Both hands required; Walking (up to 4 hours); Standing (up to 4 hours); Kneeling (up to 5 hours); Repeated bending (up to 2 hours); Near vision correctable at 13" to 16" to Jaeger 1 to 4; Far vision correctable in one eye to 20/20 and to 20/40 in the other; Hearing (aid permitted) and Emotional and Mental Stability.
***You must provide a complete Application Package which includes:***
2. VA Form 10-2850a - Application for Nurses and Nurse Anesthetist (Available at www.va.gov/vaforms/medical/pdf/vha-10-2850a-fill.pdf) (required).
3. Occupational Questionnaire (only required if unable to apply on line)
4. Optional Form 306 - Declaration for Federal Employment (Available at http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/of0306.pdf). This is a required form and must be submitted with your application.
5. Copy of your nursing license which shows current expiration date (required).
6. If a current Federal employee, include latest SF-50 - Notification of Personnel Action. (required).
7. If claiming veteran's preference you must include the following documents:
a. All copies of your DD Forms 214, member 2 or 4 copy that shows your character of discharge
(required if claiming).
b. Applicants claiming preference based on service-connected disability, or based on being the spouse or mother of a disabled or deceased Veteran, should also complete and submit a signed SF 15, Application for 10-Point Veteran Preference (available at http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/SF15.pdf) required if claiming.
c. A copy of your disability rating letter (required if claiming).
***Current VANTHCS employees must submit the following documents***
1. Resume (required)
2. Copy of unofficial college transcripts (required)
3. Copy of nursing license showing current expiration date (required)
4. Copy of your latest SF-50 (Notification of Personnel Action) required
5. Any other supporting documentation if desired
6. Occupational Questionnaire (only required if unable to apply on line)
If you completed the occupational questionnaire online and are unable to upload supporting document(s):
1.To fax your documents, you must use the following cover page http://staffing.opm.gov/pdf/usascover.pdf and provide the required information. The Vacancy ID is 1811894.
2.Fax your documents to 1-478-757-3144.
If you cannot complete the Application Package online, you may fax all of your materials. The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on October 11,2016 to receive consideration. Keep a copy of your fax confirmation in the event verification is needed.
Please use this checklist to make sure you have included other documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), documentation to support Veterans Preference claims, etc. You will not be contacted for additional information.
Faxing Applications or Supporting Documents: You are encouraged to apply online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application. If you are unable to apply online or unable to upload your supporting documents to your online application, follow the directions located at the following site: Fax Options. The Vacancy ID of the job opportunity announcement is 1933350.
NOTE: If you applied online and your application is complete, do not fax the paper application (1203-FX) as this will overwrite your prior online responses and may result in you being found ineligible.