Medication Tech/Nursing Assistant
Dock Meadows,Living Branches community, is currently seekinga Part-time Medication Technician to work in our Personal Care departmentin Hatfield, PA.
(Hours:6:30am - 2:30pm, 38 hours per pay period - every other weekend &holiday required)
The Medication Technician,adds to the professional nursing services available at Living Branches by overseeing the administration of resident medications and treatments. This involves setting up medications, administering medications in the appropriate manner and at the appropriate time as per the physicians prescription for each resident, and documenting the administration in the resident's medical record.
- Works with the Nurse to prepare the medication cart for assisting residents with medications, directs one-on-one resident assistance with medications prescribed for delivery by the residents primary physician and confers with the Nurse in charge regarding any requested PRN medication.
- Completes all required documentation pertaining to assistance with medications including documentation on the Resident Roster and documentation in the MAR that medication(s) was taken or regarding any missed doses, any refused doses, or any medication errors.
- Reports any medication errors, missed or refused doses of medication to the Nurse immediately and forwards Resident Roster documentation to the Nurse at end of shift.
- Ensures each residents medication doses are administered properly according to medication guidelines specifically that each resident receives the right medication at the right time via the right route (oral, etc.) and by the right method (crushed, with food, etc.).
- Assists residents with routine oral medications, eye drops, ear drops, ointments and inhalers but is not permitted to administer injectable medications of any kind, perform medication assistance without the presence of the Nurse on duty, send or receive by telephone physicians orders or transcribe physicians orders.
- Delivers nourishments and assists residents to consume before taking any medications that should not be administered on an empty stomach, charts amount of nourishments, and records and reports changes in resident's eating habits to supervisor.
- Adheres to all applicable infection control procedures such as practicing appropriate hand washing techniques, utilizing Personal Protective Equipment including latex gloves where indicated, & follows appropriate disposal methods of all potentially infectious material & of all sharps to minimize risks to both resident & staff.
- Reports any problems or concerns raised by residents that require professional intervention.
- Assists with wound treatments as per MAR in conjunction with the nurse.
- Maintains documentation as required by regulations and organizational policies.
- May be responsible for supervising Resident Assistants and for incident/accident reporting.
- High school diploma or GED
- DPW Med Tech Certification
- CNA Certification
- Ability to follow regulatory guidelines for the department
- Experience working with geriatric persons or working with dementia residents a plus
- Ability to encourage and build mutual trust, respect, and cooperation among team members
- Knowledge of HIPPA rules and regulations and of regulations and guidelines governing long-term care
- Ability to handle multiple responsibilities simultaneously, has ability to prioritize work and to address emergencies as they may occur
Living Branches employs over 600 team members and has more than 1,350 residents at three locations in Pennsylvania. The organization offers employees a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package, including Paid Personal Leave, Health Insurance, Short Term and Long Term Disability, 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan and use of the onsite fitness centers. Living Branches is an equal opportunity employer.
Living Branches is a not-for-profit system of retirement living and affordable housing communities dedicated to providing quality, life-enriching services on three campuses in southeastern Pennsylvania. The organization employs more than 600 team members and offers a wide range of housing, support services, and engaging activities for more than 1,350 residents.