Nurse Practitioner (Women's Health)
NOTE: Please read the vacancy announcement carefully. You must apply online or fax your documents
Duties of the position include but are not limited to:
- U.S. citizenship. Non-citizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Full unrestricted Licensure, Certification, or Registration required
- National Nurse Practitioner Certification required.
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing. The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6)
- Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.(NOTE: This position requires the incumbent to work as a licensed independent practitioner. Applicant must possess a license from a State granting independent practice, or if selected, must be willing to obtain a license from a State granting independent practice upon hire.)
- Education/Experience Requirements: in order to be initially designated as WH-PCP, a provider must have at least one of the following:
- Documentation of attendance at a Women's Health Mini-Residency within that previous 3 years.
- Documentation of at least 20 hours of women's health continuing medical education (CME) orcontinuing unit (CEU) within the past 3 years
- Documentation of at least 3 years of practice with at least 50% women patients within the previous 5 years.
- Evidence of completion of an internal medicine or family practice residency; women's health fellowship; or women's health, adult, or family practice NP or PA training within the previous 3years;
- Documentation of a current preceptorship arrangement with an experienced WH-PCP such as weekly meetings (for at least 6 months); or
- Evidence of being recognized as a known women's health leader and subject matter expert with experience practicing,teaching, and/or preceting women's health; and
- In order to maintain the designation as a WH-PCP, a provider must complete at least 10 hours of CME or CEU in women's health every 2 years.
- Preferred Experience: Credentialed in IUD placement/removal.
Grade Determination: Experience as a RN will be evaluated to determine if the experience is of an acceptable level of quality with regard to the following four dimensions of nursing: Practice, Professional Development, Collaboration and Scientific Inquiry. Each dimension of practice has criteria that demonstrate essential core competencies for VHA Nursing Personnel.
- Practice: practice, ethics and resource utilization;
- Professional Development: performance, education/career development;
- Collaboration; collaboration, collegiality;
- Scientific Inquiry: quality of care, research.
- Reference: VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-6 Nurse Qualification Standard. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office and VHA Directive 1330.01 Health Care Services for Women Veterans.
Physical Requirements: Nurse Practitioner: Moderate Lifting, 15-44 lbs.; Light lifting, under 15 lbs.; Light carrying, under 15 lbs./ Straight pulling (5 hrs.); Reaching above shoulder; Use of fingers; Both hands required; Walking (1 hrs.); Standing (2 hrs.); Near vision correctable at 13: to 16: to Jaeger 1 to 4; Far vision correctable in one eye to 20/20 and to 20/40 in the other; Ability to distinguish basic colors; Ability to distinguish shades of colors.All applicants are required to submit the following supporting document type(s):
*Other(APPLICATION FOR NURSES AND NURSE ANESTHETISTS 10-2850a)
Applicants may also submit the following supporting document type(s),which may not be required for all applicants:*Cover Letter
*Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs)
*Other Veterans Document
VA Form 10-2850a - Application for Nurses and Nurse Anesthetists (required) Available at the VA Forms website: http://www.va.gov/vaforms/search_action.asp?FormNo=10-2850&tkey=&Action=Search
Please use this checklist to make sure you have included other documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), documentation to support Veterans Preference claims, or ICTAP/CTAP documentation (for displaced Federal employees). You will not be contacted for additional information.
Veterans' Preference: When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference on the Occupational Questionnaire in the section provided and provide a legible copy of your DD214(s) and/or documentation related to your active duty service which shows dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), or dates of impending separation. Additionally, disabled veterans and others eligible for 10-point preference (such as widows or mothers of eligible Veterans) must also submit an SF-15 "Application for 10 Point Veterans Preference" with required proof as stated on the form. For more information, please visit http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/index.aspx.
Faxing Applications or Supporting Documents: You are encouraged to apply online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application. If you are unable to apply online or unable to upload your supporting documents to your online application, follow the directions located at the following site: Fax Options. The Vacancy ID of the job opportunity announcement is 1987550.
NOTE: If you applied online and your application is complete, do not fax the paper application (1203-FX) as this will overwrite your prior online responses and may result in you being found ineligible.