Staff Nurse (Mental Health- Inpatient)
The incumbent mental health registered nursepossess the clinical/mental health experience which provides the applicant with knowledge of substantial professional clinical training and experience in mental health nursing care principles. They will demonstrate thepractices and procedures required to assess needs of mental health patients enabling her/him to providea full range of nursing care to veterans utilizing the nursing process on a inpatient Mental Health unit, assesses patient's learning needs, learning preference and readiness to learn. The mental health RN must able to develop and implement a plan of care/action to meet needs of the patients and instructs patients and families as needed. They will promote discharge planning and continuity of care administering prescribed therapies using appropriate judgment. Educating the veteran on theuseof pharmaceuticals, their desired effects, the normal course of disease, anticipated complications and indicated therapeutic interventions. Accurately documents in the electronic records patient findings, assessments and care provided. Administers medication in accordance with established procedures/policy, reviews Quality Improvement Plans and demonstrates knowledge of Quality Improvement Process, role, and responsibilities. The mental Health RNparticipates in activities to improve patient care, demonstrates professional behavior and works effectively with others in giving care to patients. Demonstrates effective communication skills to promote professional cooperation and team building with internal and external customers and collaborates with peers in completing unit workload. They must possess good organizational skills which enable completion of work and demonstrate the ability to assume leadership in a patient centered program.
DESIGNATED DRUG-TESTING POSITION: Applicants tentatively selected for VA employment in a testing designated position are subject to urinalysis to screen for illegal drug use prior to appointment. Applicants who refuse to be tested will be denied employment with VA. Applicants will not be appointed to the position if a verified positive drug test result is received.
W e are a 24/7 medical center with various tours of duty and incumbent may be required to work off tours, nights, holidays and/or weekends to meet the mission of caring for the Veterans
- U.S. citizenship
- English language proficiency
- Physical standards - All applicants must meet the physical standards for the position. A physical examination prior to employment may be required.
- Registration - Current, full, active and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the U.S. or in the District of Columbia. The RN must maintain a current, full active and unrestricted registration to continue employment with the VA
- Educational requirements can be met as follows:
(1) Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State agency, and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed: a) The National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC); or b) The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). OR
(2) The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. OR
(3) In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active, and unrestricted registration, will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing.
The following requirements are preferred for this position:
References: VA Handbook 5005/27, Part II, Appendix G6, NURSE QUALIFICATION STANDARD, dated March 17, 2009.
Applicant's education and experience will be reviewed by aProfessional Standards Board in determining the grade and salary of the applicant selected.The recommended salary may be at any point in the range listed for this vacancy.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Light Lifting, under 15 pounds, light carrying, under 15 pounds, pulling hand over hand 1.5 hours (varies), pushing, 1 hour (varies), reaching above shoulder, use of fingers, walking (12 hours-varies), Standing (12 hours-varies), repeated bending (4 hours varies), climbing, legs only (.2 hours-varies), both legs required (prosthetics OK), ability for rapid mental and muscular coordination simultaneously, near vision correctable at 12" to 16" to Jaeger 1 to 4, must have good vision in one eye. Hearing (aid permitted).
When applying for Federal jobs, eligible veteransshould claim preferenceon the Occupational Questionnaire in the section provided and provide a legible copy of DD-214(s) showing all dates of service as well as character of service (honorable, general, etc.). Additionally, veterans with service-connected disability of 10% or more must also submit a copy of their official statement from the Department of Veterans Affairs, or from a branch of the Armed Forces, certifying their service-connected disability and/or their receipt of compensation for service-connected disability. If the military member is within 120 days of separation and does not yet have a DD214, the member may instead submit any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions not later than 120 days after the date the certification is signed.
Veterans with service-connected disability of less than 10%, nonservice-connected disability, andPurple Heart recipients, as-well-as those claiming derived preference for a spouse, widow or widower, or natural mother, should refer to and submita completed SF 15, "Application for 10-Point Veteran Preference," and required documentation with your application materials.
For more information on Veterans' Preference, go to http://www.opm.gov/veterans/html/vetsinfo.asp.
Internal VALB Applicants:
- VA Form 10- 2850a - Application For Nurses And Nurse Anesthetists (Available at http://www.va.gov/vaforms/medical/pdf/vha-10-2850a-fill.pdf)
- Memorandum of Interest. (Optional)
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
- Completed Online Questionnaire
- CV or Resume
- VA Form 10- 2850a - Application For Nurses And Nurse Anesthetists (Available at http://www.va.gov/vaforms/medical/pdf/vha-10-2850a-fill.pdf
- Proof of current certification, licensure or registration
- Unofficial transcript(s) - official college transcript(s) will be required before being hired).
- Optional Form 306 - Declaration for Federal Employment (Available at http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/of0306.pdf ).
- Veterans must submit appropriate documentation as described previously in this vacancy announcement.
- If currently employed in the VA system, include a copy of your latest SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action.