Registered Nurse - Medical Surgical
The Wm. Jennings Bryan Dorn VA Medical Center is actively recruiting Registered Nurses for the Medical Surgical Unit, Acute Service. As a responsible member of the Acute Hospital Team the incumbent interacts with Veterans, family members, and an interdisciplinary team of professionals. He/she is responsible for planning, administering and directing nursing care to adult and geriatric patients with intensive medical-surgical needs. He/she must be poised and articulate in communicating with people of varied educational levels and varied ethnic backgrounds. The incumbent is responsible to ensure that the highest possible quality of care is achieved and that a safe therapeutic environment is provided. He/she is administratively responsible to the Nurse Manager and responsible for other team members, i.e. RN, LPN, NA. Performs other related duties as required by Nurse Manager.
Work Schedule: 24 hour operation; to includeweekends and holidays. Tour of duty is subject to change based on agency needs.
Functional Statement Title/#:Registered Nurse -2 West/4 West
Applicant's education and experience will be reviewed by a Professional Standards Board in determining the grade and salary of the applicant selected. The recommended salary may be at any point in the range listed for this vacancy.BASIC REQUIREMENTS:
- U.S. citizenship. Non-citizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing.
- The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6)
- Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
- Nurse I Level I - An Associate Degree (ADN) or Diploma in Nursing, with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse I Level II - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 1 year of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelor's degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience; OR a Bachelor's of Science in Nursing (BSN) with no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse I Level III - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a BSN with approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing (MSN) or related field with a BSN and no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse II - A BSN with approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing or related field with a BSN and approximately 1-2 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse III - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or related field and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience and NOTE: Nurse III must demonstrate performance and leadership that is broad enough to improve the care for a group of patients. The Nurse III is responsible for the documented outcomes at the program or service level. Program or service level outcomes must be broad and complex and can be demonstrated at any organizational level within afacility.
Preferred Experience: Highly Desirable Preferred Education/Certification/Experience: BSN and CCRN certificationExperience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Physical Requirements: Heavy Lifting (45 lbs and over); Heavy Carrying (45 lbs and over); Straight Pulling (up to 1 hour); Pushing (1 - 2 hours); Reaching above shoulder; Use of fingers; Both hands required; Walking (up to 4 hours); Standing (up to 4 hours); Repeated bending (up to 2 hours); Ability for rapid mental and muscular coordination simultaneously; Near vision correctable at 13" to 16"; Hearing (aid permitted).
You must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
1. CV or Resume.
2. VA Form 10-2850a - Application for Nurses and Nurse Anesthetists (Available at http://www.va.gov/vaforms/medical/pdf/vha-10-2850a-fill.pdf)
This is a required form and must be submitted. Applicants who fail to submit will be rated ineligible for consideration. Additionally, applicants who fail to provide a complete and detailed explanation in response to any question (28-37) in which your answer is "Yes" will also be rated ineligible for consideration. This response should be provided on a separate sheet of paper as instructed on the form.
3. Online Questionnaire. View Occupational Questionnaire
4. If applicable, prior military service, include all copies of your DD Forms 214. Applicants claiming preference based on service-connected disability, or based on being the spouse or mother of a disabled or deceased Veteran, must also complete and submit an SF 15, Application for 10-Point Veteran Preference (available at http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/SF15.pdf).
5. If currently employed in the Federal system, you must include latest non award SF-50 - Notification of Personnel Action.
7. Copy of CURRENT, VALID RN license.
8. Copy of transcripts (unofficial is sufficient at application).
9. Copy of most recent performance appraisals, if available.
10. Copy of any certifications that are applicable to area to which you are applying.
Please use this checklist to make sure you have included other documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), documentation to support Veterans Preference claims, etc. You will not be contacted for additional information.
Veterans' Preference: When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference for 5pt (TP), or 10pt (CP/CPS, XPP, XP), or for Sole Survivor Preference (SSP), on the Occupational Questionnaire in the section(s) provided. A legible copy of your DD214(s) indicating character of service, disability certification, SF-15 (if claiming 10 pt. preference) or if you are currently serving on active duty and expected to be released or discharged within 120 days; documentation related to your active duty service which reflects the dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), or dates of impending separation. Documentation is required for eligibility verification.
Faxing Applications or Supporting Documents: You are encouraged to apply online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application. If you are unable to apply online or unable to upload your supporting documents to your online application, follow the directions located at the following site: Fax Options. The Vacancy ID of the job opportunity announcement is 1973948.
NOTE: If you applied online and your application is complete, do not fax the paper application (1203-FX) as this will overwrite your prior online responses and may result in you being found ineligible.