RN - Intensive Care Unit (night shift only)
There are positions in the Surgical /Thoracic Intensive Care Unit for experienced RNs. The position is for 8-12-hour evening/night shifts with rotating weekends. The following is a list of skills and characteristics which are essential attributes of this assignment:
* Incumbent should have two years of Intensive Care Unitexperience and be independent and skilled in the care of the complex patient with complex needs.
* Incumbent is responsible for working collaboratively with a multidisciplinary team and must have ability to teach patients and families about concerns and issues of an ICU patient.
* Incumbent must have the ability to use computers for data collection, knowledgeable of Computer Patient Record Systems, Excel and Word.
* Incumbent must have physical capabilities to initiate crisis intervention measures and the ability and knowledge to perform in nursing care emergencies.
* Demonstration of effective communication skills and tact in dealing with patients, families, and staff. Establish interdisciplinary interactions with physicians and other health care professionals.
* Ability to work on an interdisciplinary team
* Ability to plan, coordinate, and utilize available staff to accomplish patient care workload.
Tour of duty:Various shifts with rotating weekends and holidays
Recruitment/Relocation incentive is authorized for this position.
***Please see the "Required Documents" located underneath the "How to Apply" button to ensure you have submitted all documentation***
1. Citizen of the United States.
2. Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The Accreditation Commission for Education (ACEN) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia. In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing.
3. Must be proficient in spoken and written English.
Applicant's education and experience will be reviewed by a Professional Standards Board in determing the grade and salary of the applicant selected. The recommended salary may be at any point in the range listed for this vacancy.
Experience as a RN will be evaluated to determine if the experience is of an acceptable level of quality with regard to the following four dimensions of nursing: Practice, Professional Development, Collaboration and Scientific Inquiry. Each dimension of practice has criteria that demonstrates essential core competencies for VHA Nursing Personnel. The criteria are as follows: Practice: practice, ethics and resource utilization, Professional Development: performance, education/career development, Collaboration; collaboration, collegiality, Scientific Inquiry: quality of care, research. Education/Experience Requirements:
* Nurse I Level I - An Associate Degree (ADN) or Diploma in Nursing, no experience.
* Nurse I Level II - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 1 year of experience, or an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelor's degree in a related field and no experience; or a Bachelors of Science in Nursing (BSN) and no experience.
* Nurse I Level III - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 2-3 years of experience, or an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelors degree in a related field and approximately 1-2 years of experience; or a BSN with approximately 1-2 years of experience, or a Master's degree in nursing (MSN) or related field with a BSN and no experience.
* Nurse II - A BSN with approximately 2-3 years of experience, or ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelors degree in a related field and approximately 2-3 years experience or a Master's degree in nursing or related field with a BSN and approximately 1-2 years experience, or a Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral degree in a related field with no experience.
* Nurse III - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 2-3 years experience or Doctoral degree in nursing or related field and approximately 2-3 years experience.
Preferred Experience:Two years of current intensive care unit experience.
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE WILL NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE.
Physical Requirements: Heavy Lifting (45 lbs and over); Heavy Carrying (45 lbs and over); Pushing and pulling (up to 4 hours); Reaching above shoulder; Both hands required; Walking (up to 4 hours); Standing (up to 4 hours); Kneeling (up to 5 hours); Repeated bending (up to 2 hours); Near vision correctable at 13" to 16" to Jaeger 1 to 4; Far vision correctable in one eye to 20/20 and to 20/40 in the other; Hearing (aid permitted) and Emotional and Mental Stability.Veterans' Preference: When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference on the Occupational Questionnaire in the section provided and provide a legible copy of your DD214(s) and/or documentation related to your active duty service which shows dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), or dates of impending separation.
Additionally, disabled veterans and others eligible for 10-point preference (such as widows or mothers of eligible Veterans) must also submit an SF-15 "Application for 10 Point Veterans Preference" with required proof as stated on the form.?, For more information, please review the information for disabled Veterans in the application checklist or visit http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/index.aspx.
***You must provide a complete application package which includes:***
2. VA Form 10-2850a - Application for Nurses and Nurse Anesthetist (Available at http://vaww.va.gov/vaforms/medical/pdf/vha-10-2850a-091998-fill.pdf) (required).
3. Occupational Questionnaire (only required if unable to apply on line)
4. Optional Form 306 - Declaration for Federal Employment (Available at http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/of0306.pdf). This is a required form and must be submitted with your application.
5. Copy of your nursing license which shows current expiration date (required).
6. If a current Federal employee, include latest SF-50 - Notification of Personnel Action. (required).
7. If claiming veteran's preference you must include the following documents:
a. All copies of your DD Forms 214, member 2 or 4 copy that shows your character of discharge
(required if claiming).
b. Applicants claiming preference based on service-connected disability, or based on being the spouse or mother of a disabled or deceased Veteran, should also complete and submit a signed SF 15, Application for 10-Point Veteran Preference (available at http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/SF15.pdf) required if claiming.
c. A copy of your disability rating letter (required if claiming).
***Current VANTHCS employees must submit the following documents***
2. Copy of unofficial college transcripts (required)
3. Copy of nursing license showing current expiration date (required)
4. Copy of your latest SF-50 (Notification of Personnel Action) required
5. Any other supporting documentation if desired
6. Occupational Questionnaire (only required if unable to apply on line)Faxing Applications or Supporting Documents:
You are encouraged to apply online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application.
NOTE: If you applied online and your application is complete, do not fax the paper application (1203FX) as this will overwrite your prior online responses and may result in you being found ineligible.
If you completed the occupational questionnaire online and are unable to upload supporting document(s):
- To fax your documents, you must use the following cover page http://staffing.opm.gov/pdf/usascover.pdf and provide the required information. The Vacancy ID is 1834410.
- Fax your documents to 1-478-757-3144.
To complete the occupational questionnaire and submit via fax:
- Click the following link to view and print the occupational questionnaire View Occupational Questionnaire.
- Print the 1203FX form, follow the instructions and provide your responses to the occupational questionnaire items http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdfimage/opm1203fx.pdf.
- Fax the completed 1203FX form along with any supporting documents to 1-478-757-3144. Your 1203FX will serve as a cover page for your fax transmission.