Registered Nurse (Operating Room) 2 Intermittent Positions
The incumbent serves as an RN in the Ambulatory Surgical Unit, part of the Surgical Service of the Alaska VA Healthcare System (AVAHS).Services include but are not limited to, general surgery, orthopedic, podiatry, urology, and ophthalmology procedures/surgery and endoscopy procedures. The RN will circulate and/or scrub in both VA and Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson in the Operating Rooms and Endoscopy Suites. In the Pre-Op area, patients are prepared for surgical/invasive procedures. In the Recovery area, the nurse attends to post-anesthesia recovery of outpatient surgery/procedures and endoscopy patients. The RN is able to manage and deliver care for complex patient situations.RN responsibilities include working in the Surgical Service Clinic, Ambulatory Surgery Unit (OR), Endoscopy Suites and Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson. May be required to assist in Primary Care and other areas of the Alaska VA Healthcare System.Applies the nursing process to systems or processes in the ASU and Surgery Clinic to improve care.
- Initiates and participates in quality improvement activities that result in improved outcomes.
- Evaluates practice of self and others using professional standards, relevant statutes and regulations.
- Acquires knowledge and skills to maintain expertise in area of practice.
- Participates in educational activities to improve clinical knowledge and enhance role performance.
- Educates colleagues and/or students and serves as a preceptor and/or mentor.
- Supports and enhances client self-determination.
- Serves as a resource for clients and staff in addressing ethical issues.
- Uses group processes to identify, analyze and resolve care problems.
- Identifies and assesses resource utilization and safety issues, taking appropriate action.
- Serves as Charge Nurse and assumes oversight of daily operations.
Relocation Expenses: Relocation expenses are not authorized for this position.
Work Schedule: Intermittent/Work when needed.
This announcement does not include all the duties/responsibilities of the position.BASIC REQUIREMENTS:
- U.S. citizenship. Non-citizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Full unrestricted Licensure, Certification, or Registration required
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing. The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6)
- Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
Preferred Experience: One year minimum recent Operating Room Experience.
Experience as a RN will be evaluated to determine if the experience is of an acceptable level of quality with regard to the following four dimensions of nursing: Practice, Professional Development, Collaboration and Scientific Inquiry. Each dimension of practice has criteria that demonstrate essential core competencies for VHA Nursing Personnel.
Citizen of the United States. Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia. In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing. Must be proficient in spoken and written English.
Applicant's education and length of nursing practice (experience) will be considered by a Nurse Professional Standards Board in determining the grade and salary of the applicant selected. Experience as a RN will be evaluated to determine if the experience is of an acceptable level of quality with regard to the following four dimensions of nursing: Practice, Professional Development, Collaboration and Scientific Inquiry. Each dimension of practice has criteria that demonstrate essential core competencies for VHA Nursing Personnel. The criteria are as follows: Practice: practice, ethics and resource utilization, Professional Development: performance, education/career development, Collaboration; collaboration, collegiality, Scientific Inquiry: quality of care, research. Education/Experience Requirements:
- Nurse I Level I - An Associate Degree (ADN) or Diploma in Nursing, no experience.
- Nurse I Level II - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 1 year of experience, or an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelor's degree in a related field and no experience; or a Bachelors of Science in Nursing (BSN) and no experience.
- Nurse I Level III - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 2-3 years of experience, or an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelors degree in a related field and approximately 1-2 years of experience; or a BSN with approximately 1-2 years of experience, or a Master's degree in nursing (MSN) or related field with a BSN and no experience.
- Nurse II - A BSN with approximately 2-3 years of experience, or ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelors degree in a related field and approximately 2-3 years experience or a Master's degree in nursing or related field with a BSN and approximately 1-2 years experience, or a Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral degree in a related field with no experience.
- Nurse III - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 2-3 years experience or Doctoral degree in nursing or related field and approximately 2-3 years experience.
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WEWILL NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE.
Physical Requirements: May require occasional heavy lifting (45 lbs and over); moderate carrying (15-44 lbs.); standing, walking, and kneeling; pushing/pulling; the use of fingers on both hands; ability to reach above shoulders; repeated bending; climbing using legs and arms; ability for rapid mental and muscular coordination simultaneously; near visiion correctable to 13" to 16" so Jaeger 1/to 4; far vision correctable in one eye to 20/20 and to 20/40 in the other; depth perception; ability to distinguish basic color and shades of colors; and hearing (hearing aid permitted).
Veterans' Preference: When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference on the Occupational Questionnaire in the section provided and provide a legible copy of your DD214(s) and/or documentation related to your active duty service which shows dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), or dates of impending separation.
Additionally, disabled veterans and others eligible for 10-point preference (such as widows or mothers of eligible Veterans) must also submit an SF-15 "Application for 10 Point Veterans Preference" with required proof as stated on the form. For more information, please review the information for disabled Veterans in the application checklist or visit http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/index.aspx.
Applicants may also submit the following supporting document type(s),which may not be required for all applicants:*Cover Letter
*Other Veterans Document
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
- Occupational Questionnaire -
- CV or Resume (required).
- VA Form 10-2850a - Application for NurseandNurse Anesthetist (Available at http://www.va.gov/vaforms/medical/pdf/vha-10-2850a-fill.pdf) (required).
- Proof of current certification, licensure or registration (required).
- Optional Form 306 - Declaration for Federal Employment - Available at http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/of0306.pdf (required).
- Veterans must submit appropriate documentation as described previously in this vacancy announcement. (required).
- If currently employed by the VA or Federal government, include a copy of yourmost recent NON-AWARDSF-50, Notification of Personnel Action (required).
Please use this checklist to make sure you have included other documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), documentation to support Veterans Preference claims, or ICTAP/CTAP documentation (for displaced Federal employees). You will not be contacted for additional information.Faxing Applications or Supporting Documents:
You are encouraged to apply online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application.
NOTE: If you applied online and your application is complete, do not fax the paper application (1203FX) as this will overwrite your prior online responses and may result in you being found ineligible.
If you completed the occupational questionnaire online and are unable to upload supporting document(s):
- To fax your documents, you must use the following cover page http://staffing.opm.gov/pdf/usascover.pdfand provide the required information. The Vacancy ID is 1930179.
- Fax your documents to 1-478-757-3144.
To complete the occupational questionnaire and submit via fax:
- Click the following link to view and print the occupational questionnaire View Occupational Questionnaire.
- Print the 1203FX form, follow the instructions and provide your responses to the occupational questionnaire items http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdfimage/opm1203fx.pdf.
- Fax the completed 1203FX form along with any supporting documents to 1-478-757-3144. Your 1203FX will serve as a cover page for your fax transmission.