Registered Nurse - Extended Care Rehabilitation Service / Spinal Cord
NOTE: Applicant's education and length of nursing practice (experience) will be considered by a Nurse Professional Standards Board in determining the grade and step of the applicant selected.
The incumbent for this position may be eligible to apply for the Education Debt Reduction Program or a recruitment incentive may be authorized with a 2 year service obligation agreement. Please contact Human Resources and speak with the Education Debt Reduction Program Coordinator for additional information
1. Demonstrates successful performance in applying the nursing process.
2. Participates in performance improvement activities in the unit, service line and Medical Center.
3. Demonstrates knowledge and skills in the care of the spinal cord injury, quadriplegic and paraplegic patient or geriatric, rehab, terminal and long-term patient..
4. Demonstrates an excellent customer service philosophy with both internal and external customers.
5. Demonstrates collaborative relationships with the Inter-disciplinary teams in providing continuity of care to the patient.
6. Demonstrates self-motivation and independence in professional development, organization of tasks/assignments for the nursing team and in providing a safe patient care environment.
7. Demonstrates knowledge and skills in the completion of spinal cord injury care, documentation and standards (i.e. CARF guidelines for rehab, sustaining care program).
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
* U.S. citizenship. Non-citizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
* Full unrestricted Licensure, Certification, or Registration required
* Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: TheAccrediting Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing.
o The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6)
* Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
The Physical requirements of this position include the following tasks which may be performed intermittently: lifting of up to 50 lbs. (3 hours), sitting (2 hours), standing (4 hours), walking (8 hours), climbing (1 hour), kneeling (3 hours), bending/stooping (3 hours), twisting (2 hours), pushing/pulling (6 hours), simple grasping (8 hours), fine manipulation (8 hours), reaching above the shoulder (4 hours), and operating machinery (8 hours).
For additional information on Physical Standards please see VA Directive and Handbook 5019. http://www.va.gov/vapubs/Required Documents
You must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
1. CV or Resume.
2. VA Form 10-2850a - Application for NurseandNurse Anesthetist (Available at http://www.va.gov/vaforms/search_action.asp?FormNo=10-2850&tkey=&Action=Search. (required).
3. A signed current annual Performance Evaluation.
DO NOT SUBMIT TRANSCRIPTS
Please use this checklist to make sure you have included other documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), documentation to support Veterans Preference claims, or ICTAP/CTAP documentation (for displaced Federal employees). You will not be contacted for additional information.
Veterans' Preference: When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference on the Occupational Questionnaire in the section provided and provide a legible copy of your DD214(s) and/or documentation related to your active duty service which shows dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), or dates of impending separation. Additionally, disabled veterans and others eligible for 10-point preference (such as widows or mothers of eligible Veterans) must also submit an SF-15 "Application for 10 Point Veterans Preference" with required proof as stated on the form. For more information, please review the information for disabled Veterans in the application checklist or visit http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/index.aspx
Faxing Applications or Supporting Documents: You are encouraged to apply online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application. If you are unable to apply online or unable to upload your supporting documents to your online application, follow the directions located at the following site: Fax Options. The Vacancy ID of the job opportunity announcement is 1913440.
NOTE: If you applied online and your application is complete, do not fax the paper application (1203-FX) as this will overwrite your prior online responses and may result in you being found ineligible.