Ambulatory Procedure Unit Staff Nurse
This is a Staff Nurse (Ambulatory Procedure Unit) (APU) position located in Patient Services.
As an Ambulatory Procedure Unit (APU) Staff Nurse you will provide care during all aspects of the perioperative process with exception of actual operating room situations. Duties are primarily focused on providing nursing care to patients during phase II recovery from anesthetics, but will also include preoperative assessments and education, day of surgery/procedure assessments, preparation, and documentation. Duties also include providing conscious sedation to patients for minor procedures. All aspects of the nursing process will be utilized. Our facility is seeking individuals who possess good organizational skills which enable completion of work, a demonstrated ability to assume leadership in a patient centered program, and the ability to establish effective communication with patients, families, visitors and members of the interdisciplinary team.
Work Schedule: 11:30am-8:00pm, Monday - Friday
Functional Statement Title/#: Staff Nurse (APU)
- U.S. citizenship. Non-citizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing.
- The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6).
- Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
- Nurse I Level I - An Associate Degree (ADN) or Diploma in Nursing, with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse I Level II - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 1 year of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelor's degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience; OR a Bachelor's of Science in Nursing (BSN) with no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse I Level III - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a BSN with approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing (MSN) or related field with a BSN and no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse II - A BSN with approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing or related field with a BSN and approximately 1-2 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse III - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or related field and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience.
Five (5) years of successful RN clinical practice, Two (2) years successful RN clinical practice in an ambulatory surgery setting, Dependable and self-directed, Astute and timely problem-solving skills, Professional poise and ability to function well under stress, Successful contributions within work groups, Effective communication skills, Effective interpersonal skills and customer service, Judicious clinical prioritizing, Ability to quickly identify and appropriately respond to medical emergencies.Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Education/Experience Requirements: Noneabove Basic Requirements.
1. Lifting up to 45 lbs. (intermittently)
2. Carrying up to 45 lbs. (intermittently
3. Repeated bending
4. Straight Pulling up to 45 lbs.(intermittently)
5. Straight Pushing up to 45 lbs. (intermittently)
6. Stooping (intermittently
7. Squatting (intermittently)
8. Kneeling (occasionally)
9. Use of both arms
10. Use of both hands
11. Use of fingers
12. Overhead work; both arms (intermittently)
13. Prolonged walking (up to 4 hrs./day)
14. Prolonged standing (up to 4 hrs./day)
15. Sitting (up to 2 hrs./day)
16. Far Vision - correctable in one eye to 20/20 and to 20/40 in the other
17. Near Vision - correctable to read newsprint at 13 - 16 inches
18. Ability to distinguish shades of colors
19. Hearing - ability to hear and understand the spoken voice from a distance of 8 feet. Ability to effectively utilize a stethoscope and distinguish breath and heart, and bowel sounds
20. Emotional and mental stability - ability to effectively perform the essential functions of the position and respond appropriately in emergency situations.
All applicants are required to submit the following supporting document type(s):
*Other(You must provide at least 3 references with contact information)
Applicants may also submit the following supporting document type(s),which may not be required for all applicants:*Cover Letter
*Other Veterans Document
VA Form 10-2850a - Application for Nurses and Nurse Anesthetists (required) Available at the VA Forms website: http://www.va.gov/vaforms/search_action.asp?FormNo=10-2850&tkey=&Action=Search
Please use this checklist to make sure you have included other documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), documentation to support Veterans Preference claims, etc. You will not be contacted for additional information.
Veterans' Preference: When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference for 5pt (TP), or 10pt (CP/CPS, XPP, XP), or for Sole Survivor Preference (SSP), on the Occupational Questionnaire in the section(s) provided. A legible copy of your DD214(s) indicating character of service, disability certification, SF-15 (if claiming 10 pt. preference) or if you are currently serving on active duty and expected to be released or discharged within 120 days; documentation related to your active duty service which reflects the dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), or dates of impending separation. Documentation is required for eligibility verification.
Faxing Applications or Supporting Documents: You are encouraged to apply online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application. If you are unable to apply online or unable to upload your supporting documents to your online application, follow the directions located at the following site: Fax Options. The Vacancy ID of the job opportunity announcement is 1988340.
NOTE: If you applied online and your application is complete, do not fax the paper application (1203-FX) as this will overwrite your prior online responses and may result in you being found ineligible.