+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++The position is located in the Department of Mental Health, Acute Inpatient Mental Health Unit. The Psychiatric Nursing Assistant (PNA) functions as a member of the healthcare team by assisting the Registered Nurse (RN) and thepsychiatric mental health team in the care management of patients experiencing a variety of alterations in their physical, behavioral, acute and/or chronic psychiatric illnesses/substance dependency problems.The PNA cares for patients who require ongoing monitoring and observation to ensure their safety and well-being.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Admits and orients patients to the unit, checking patients for contraband.
- Prepares patients for and assists the physician with physical examinations and diagnostic procedures.
- Observes patients for physical and/or emotional status changes and refers deviations and/or problems to the supervisor.
- Comprehends various types of mental illness and is able to identify specific symptoms related to each.
- Participates in patient care planning with the RN by suggesting nursing actions based on information obtained from interactions with the patients.
- Works closely with individuals and small groups of patients, under the supervision of the RN,using a variety of treatment procedures.
- Provides healthcare which maximizes the principles of strength-based mental health recovery.
- Identifies a crisis situation, offers patient outlets, and sets limits for aggressive behavior.
- Communicates calmly, courteously and tactfully to patients.
- Provides for the safety and comfort of assigned patients.
Work Schedule: Rotating, all shifts (7:15 am-3:45 pm,3:30 pm-12:00 Midnight, Midnight -8:00 am), includes weekends & holidays. Unit is operational 24 hours a day; seven days a week.
Functional Statement Title/#: Psychiatric Nursing Assistant, GS-0621-05
- Citizenship. Citizen of the United States.
- Education or Training. One (1) year above high school with courses related to the Nursing Assistant occupation. Completion of an intensive, specialized, occupation-related course of study of less than one year as a nursing assistant may also meet in full the experience requirements for GS-3. Please provide copies of transcripts, diploma or certification.
- English Language Proficiency. Nursing Assistants must be proficient in spoken and written English in accordance with VA Handbook 5005, part II, chapter 3, section A, paragraph 3j.
Preferred Experience:Experience as Nursing Assistant or experience in another medical (licensed practical nurse, health technician, hospital corps, etc.)
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Grade Determinations: In addition to the Basic Requirements for employment, the following criteria must be met when determining the grade of candidates.
GS-5 Nursing Assistant (Full Performance Level)
(a) Experience. One year of progressively responsible assignments and experience equivalent to the GS-4 level which demonstrates knowledge, skills and abilities that are directly related to the specific assignment. In addition, the candidate must demonstrate the professional KSAs below;
(b) Education. Successful completion of a 4-year course of study above high school leading to a bachelor's degree that included 24 semester hours of courses related to health care or possession of a bachelor's degree;
(c) Demonstrated KSAs
1. Ability to assist in the full range of nursing care to patients/residents with physical and/or behavioral problems in a hospital, long term care or outpatient setting under the direction of a Registered Nurse and/or Licensed Vocational Nurse/Licensed Practical Nurse.
2. Ability to communicate orally with patients/residents, families, interdisciplinary team and other personnel. This includes serving as a preceptor to new Nursing Assistant by assisting with the coordination of their orientation and overseeing/assessing their practical experience while in a clinical setting.
3. Ability to recognize and react to emergent patient/resident care situations and intervene while waiting for assistance. For example, recognizing need for basic life support, controlling bleeding and assisting with behavior crisis etc.
References:VA Handbook 5005/81, PART II, APPENDIX G46.This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
Physical Requirements: Duties require regular and recurring periods of standing and walking. Duties may require intermittent periods of bending, lifting, stooping, stretching, pushing, and similar activities. The employee may, on occasion, defend self and others from the physical attack of residents and also prevents residents from performing destructive acts against self and the environment.
To be considered for this position you must provide a complete application package which includes:
- RÃ©sumÃ© - please see Qualifications section for required format.
- Responses to Occupational Questionnaire.View Occupational Questionnaire
- Completed VA Form 10-2850c - Application for Associated Health Occupations go to: http://www.va.gov/vaforms/medical/pdf/vha-10-2850c-fill.pdf.
- Copy of your transcripts including degree granted and date conferred (If using education to qualify).
Please use this checklist to make sure you have included other documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), documentation to support Veterans Preference claims, etc. You will not be contacted for additional information.
Veterans' Preference: When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference for 5pt (TP), or 10pt (CP/CPS, XPP, XP), or for Sole Survivor Preference (SSP), on the Occupational Questionnaire in the section(s) provided. A legible copy of your DD214(s) indicating character of service, disability certification, SF-15 (if claiming 10 pt. preference) or if you are currently serving on active duty and expected to be released or discharged within 120 days; documentation related to your active duty service which reflects the dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), or dates of impending separation. Documentation is required for eligibility verification.
Faxing Applications or Supporting Documents: You are encouraged to apply online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application. If you are unable to apply online or unable to upload your supporting documents to your online application, follow the directions located at the following site: Fax Options. The Vacancy ID of the job opportunity announcement is 1970293.
NOTE: If you applied online and your application is complete, do not fax the paper application (1203-FX) as this will overwrite your prior online responses and may result in you being found ineligible.