Registered Nurse - Med-Surg
The positions are located within the Inpatient and Emergency Services Division: Medical/Surgical Wards (5D, 6D, 8D, 9C, 9D).
Med-Surg 5D: The incumbent practices as a Registered Nurse (RN) on 5D, locatedin the Inpatient and Emergency Services Division located on thePortland, OR campus. 5D is a neurology and general medicine unit. Patient populations include: CVA, neurological disorders, spinal injury, seizure telemetry, cardiac telemetry, head and neck disorders, CNS tumors, ventilator dependant patients, and other complex medical conditions. Based on education and experience, may be assigned responsibilities as preceptor or charge nurse.
Med-Surg 6D: The incumbent practices as an RN on 6D, located in the Inpatient and Emergency Services Division located on the Portland, OR campus.6D is a medical unit which specializes in general medicine and hematology/oncology, including cardiac telemetry and chemotherapy. Patient populations include: cancer, AIDS, GI conditions, liver disease, and COPD. Based on education and experience, may be assigned responsibilities as preceptor or charge nurse.
Med-Surg 8D: The incumbent practices as an RN on 8D within the Inpatient and Emergency Services Division located on the Portland Campus. 8D is a Medical/Surgical Unit which specializes in cardiac monitoring, women's health care and peritoneal dialysis. Knowledge and skills of cardiac telemetry monitoring is required. Based on education and experience, may be assigned responsibilities as preceptor or charge nurse.
Med-Surg 9C: The incumbent practices as an RN on 9C within the Inpatient and Emergency Services Division located on the Portland campus. 9C is a surgical unit with specialized in vascular and urology surgical specialties. Knowledge and skills with cardiac telemetry monitoring is required. Based on education and experience, may be assigned responsibilities as preceptor or charge nurse.
Med-Surg 9D: The incumbent practices as an RN on 9D, located in the Inpatient and Emergency Services Division located on the Portland, OR campus.9D is a surgical unit which specializes in all surgical specialties, cardiac telemetry, kidney and liver transplantation. Patient populations include: all VAPHCS surgical specialties and sub-specialties and pre and post-transplant care.Based on education and experience, may be assigned responsibilities as preceptor or charge nurse.
Functional Statement Title/#: Registered Nurse
07:00 AM - 07:30 PM
07: 00 PM - 07:30 AM***Work schedule includes weekends***
****Other Tours of Duty may be available****BASIC REQUIREMENTS:
- U.S. citizenship. Non-citizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Full unrestricted Licensure, Certification, or Registration required
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing. The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6). Proof of accreditation must be provided if nursing program accreditation does not reflect on above referenced websites. Past accreditation may not be available online and may result in disqualification.
- Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
Minimum Education - Associate Degree or Diploma in Nursing
Minimum Experience - None Required
Bachelors of Science in Nursing Degree (BSN)
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Grade Determinations: Experience as a RN will be evaluated to determine if the experience is of an acceptable level of quality with regard to the following four dimensions of nursing: Practice, Professional Development, Collaboration and Scientific Inquiry. Each dimension of practice has criteria that demonstrate essential core competencies for VHA Nursing Personnel. The criteria are as follows:
- Practice: practice, ethics and resource utilization;
- Professional Development: performance, education/career development;
- Collaboration; collaboration, collegiality;
- Scientific Inquiry: quality of care, research.
Moderate Carrying (15-44lbs); Straight Pulling (up to 1 hour); Pushing (1 - 2 hours); Reaching above shoulder; Use of fingers; Both hands required; Walking (up to 4 hours); Standing (up to 4 hours); Repeated bending (up to 3 hours); Ability for rapid mental and muscular coordination simultaneously; Near vision correctable at 13" to 16"; Far vision correctable in one eye to 20/20 and to 20/40 in the other; Ability to distinguish basic colors; Ability to distinguish shades of color; Emotional and Mental stability; Hearing (aid permitted).You must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
1. CV or Resume (required)
2. VA Form 10-2850a - Application for Nurses and Nurse Anesthetists (Available at http://www.va.gov/vaforms/medical/pdf/vha-10-2850a-091998-fill.pdf) (required).
3. Responses to the questionnaire; not an uploaded document, answered either during the online process or via fax (required) Questionnaire preview: View Occupational Questionnaire
4. Your application or resume must show that you possess a current, unrestricted license in a US state, territory or commonwealth. Licenses showing as expired will not be accepted. (required)
5. If aVA Employee, please submit most recent non-award SF-50 (Displays grade, tenure and title. Federal employees may be able to access their SF-50 through the eOPF https://eopf.nbc.gov/va/).
6. Transcripts- It's highly recommended you provide a copy of your transcripts.
Please use this checklist to make sure you have included other documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), documentation to support Veterans Preference claims, or ICTAP/CTAP documentation (for displaced Federal employees). You will not be contacted for additional information.
Veterans' Preference: When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference on the Occupational Questionnaire in the section provided and provide a legible copy of your DD214(s) and/or documentation related to your active duty service which shows dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), or dates of impending separation. Additionally, disabled veterans and others eligible for 10-point preference (such as widows or mothers of eligible Veterans) must also submit an SF-15 "Application for 10 Point Veterans Preference" with required proof as stated on the form. For more information, please review the information for disabled Veterans in the application checklist or visit http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/index.aspx.
Faxing Applications or Supporting Documents:
You are encouraged to apply online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application. If you are unable to apply online or unable to upload your supporting documents to your online application, follow the directions located at the following site: Fax Options. The Vacancy ID of the job opportunity announcement is 1985677. TheOccupational Questionnaire can be viewed here View Occupational Questionnaireto complete the 1203-FX.
NOTE: If you applied online and your application is complete, do not fax the paper application (1203-FX) as this will overwrite your prior online responses and may result in you being found ineligible.