Staff Nurse (Community Living Center)
This is an open-continuous announcementwithinCommunity Living Center (CLC)of Nursing Service at the Dayton VA Medical Center. CLC units include:
Patton's Place - Long term care unit
Lincoln Estates - Long term care unit
Kennedy Way - Alzheimer's and Memory Care Unit
Victory Ridge - Hospice and Palliative Care Unit
Heroes Point - Skilled Nursing Home care unit
Soaring Eagles - Rehab Unit
If you have a preference for a particular unit, please indicate it on your resume/application materials.
The RN delivers theoretically and scientifically based nursing care to an assigned group of veterans. He/she is constantly building upon current clinical competencies. Serves as an advocate for the veteran and is obligated to demonstrate nonjudgmental and nondiscriminatory attitudes and behaviors that are sensitive to veteran diversity. The RN is accountable to function as an effective team member, team leader,preceptor and/or charge nurse.
Work Schedule: Available shifts are as follows: Day Shift (7:30am - 4:00pm) with rotation to Nights and Evenings; Evening Shift (3:30pm - 12 Midnight); or Night Shift (11:30pm - 8:00am), weekends and holidays are required
If you have a shift preference, please indicate it on your resume/application materials.
Functional Statement Title/#: Staff Nurse (Community Living Center)/000000
This is a Bargaining Unit Position.
Please see the Required Documents section below to submit a complete application packet.BASIC REQUIREMENTS:
- U.S. citizenship. Non-citizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Full unrestricted Licensure, Certification, or Registration required
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing. The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6)
- Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
Please check your school accreditation before applying, if not accredited by the ACEN or CCNE you will not receive further consideration and will be marked ineligible.
The following criteria must be met in determining the grade assignment of candidates, and if appropriate, the level within a grade:
- Nurse I Level I - An Associate Degree (ADN) or Diploma in Nursing, no experience.
- Nurse I Level II - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 1 year of experience, or an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelor's degree in a related field and no experience; or a Bachelors of Science in Nursing (BSN) and no experience.
- Nurse I Level III - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 2-3 years of experience, or an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelors degree in a related field and approximately 1-2 years of experience; or a BSN with approximately 1-2 years of experience, or a Master's degree in nursing (MSN) or related field with a BSN and no experience.
- Nurse II - A BSN with approximately 2-3 years of experience, or ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelors degree in a related field and approximately 2-3 years experience or a Master's degree in nursing or related field with a BSN and approximately 1-2 years experience, or a Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral degree in a related field with no experience.
- Nurse III - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 2-3 years experience or Doctoral degree in nursing or related field and approximately 2-3 years experience.
Reference:VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-6 Nurse Qualification Standard.This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Physical Requirements: This position requires visual acuity, keen hearing, clear distinctive speech, and manual dexterity. This position requires potentially long periods of continued walking, standing, stooping, sitting, bending, pulling, and pushing. Transferring patients and objects may be required. Mechanical inpatient lifts are provided. The incumbent may be exposed to infected patients and contaminated materials and may be required to don protective clothing in isolation situations, operative/invasive procedures, or home settings. The incumbent may occasionally be exposed to patients who are combative secondary to delirium, dementia, or psychiatric disorders. The incumbent must be mature, flexible, sensible individual capable of working effectively in stressful situations, able to shift priorities based on patient needs. Must complete annual Employee Health requirements, such as annual TB screening or testing, as a condition of employment. The incumbent who provides care in home settings or other off-site locations may be required to drive and/or ride GSA vehicles.
All Applicants must submit the following documents in order to ensure a complete application packet:
1. VA Form 10-2850a - Application for Nurses and Nurse Anesthetists (Available at http://www.va.gov/vaforms/medical/pdf/vha-10-2850a-091998-fill.pdf) (required)
2. Resume/CV (required)
3. Copy of SF-50 (must show Grade, Step, and Salary for you to be considered - awards and incentives SF-50 will not be accepted) Required for current Federal employees only
4. COPY of Nursing License [If you do not have a copy of the licensure, please submit proof/verification (i.e., from the State's website).] (required)
5. Any other documents such as a copy of College Transcripts and/or BLS/ACLS certifications, etc.
Note: Failure to submit any required documents will result in ineligibility for this vacancy. You will not be contacted for more information if you fail to submit any required documents.
VA Form 10-2850a - Application for Nurses and Nurse Anesthetists (required) Available at the VA Forms website: http://www.va.gov/vaforms/search_action.asp?FormNo=10-2850&tkey=&Action=Search
Please use this checklist to make sure you have included other documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), documentation to support Veterans Preference claims, etc. You will not be contacted for additional information.
Veterans' Preference: When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference for 5pt (TP), or 10pt (CP/CPS, XPP, XP), or for Sole Survivor Preference (SSP), on the Occupational Questionnaire in the section(s) provided. A legible copy of your DD214(s) indicating character of service, disability certification, SF-15 (if claiming 10 pt. preference) or if you are currently serving on active duty and expected to be released or discharged within 120 days; documentation related to your active duty service which reflects the dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), or dates of impending separation. Documentation is required for eligibility verification.
Faxing Applications or Supporting Documents: You are encouraged to apply online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application. If you are unable to apply online or unable to upload your supporting documents to your online application, follow the directions located at the following site: Fax Options. The Vacancy ID of the job opportunity announcement is 1892621.
NOTE: If you applied online and your application is complete, do not fax the paper application (1203-FX) as this will overwrite your prior online responses and may result in you being found ineligible.