RN (Imaging/Interventional Radiology)
- Full Time
The lmaging/Interventional Radiology RN II is able to deliver and improve patient care,through collaborative strategies with Radiologists, Vascular Surgeons, Anesthesiologists and Diagnostic Radiology Technologists, utilizing a thorough knowledge of pre-, intra-, and post-lnterventional and Special Procedures.
- The RN exhibits the ability to work with minimal supervision in the fast past lnterventional Radiology Suite and Imaging departments (MRI, Nuclear Medicine, CT,general Radiology) utilizing strong critical care nursing skills such as, yet not limited to: Cardiac and hemodynamic monitoring, arrhythmia interpretation, recognition and rapid correction of airway obstruction, hypoxemia, temperature and level of consciousness changes, administration of intravenous analgesics, strong knowledge of surgical sterile technique , reversal agent dosing, onset and half-life, experienced with central venous access catheters, administration of Tissue Plasminogen Activators (TPA) into occluded vascular access devices, vasoactive medication administration and titration, proactive in identifying potential crisis situations and capable of responding appropriately in emergency/code situations using ACLS skills, intravenous contrast reactions and rapid treatment, performs continuous reassessment of vital signs, incision sites, incision drainage, wound drains, thromboembolism development,pathophysiologic responses to treatments and interventions as recommended by the Association for Radiologic and Imaging Nursing (ARIN) and American Association of Critical Care Nurses (AACN).
- Serves inpatients and outpatients undergoing procedures such as: Vascular angiography, angioplasty and stent placement; Hemodialysis catheter placement, lnfusaPort insertion and removal, PICC insertion, nephrostromy tube placement, nephroureteral stent placement, abscess and biliary drainage tube placement, gastrostomy tube placement, Trans-arterial liver chemoembolization, inferior vena cava filter placement, suprapubic catheter exchange, adrenal vein sampling, GI bleed embolization ,and spinal tap.
- CT guided biopsies such as; abdominal, retro?,Â peritioneal, adrenal, bone marrow, liver, lung, lymph node, prostate, renal,thyroid, and subclavicular. Vascular (IR/OR) procedures:Aorto-femoral bypass, atherectomy , embolectomy, endarterectomy, endovascular aneurysm repair, vascular runoffs, stenting and thrombolysis.
- Additional daily responsibilities of the lmaging/IR RN II include: Radiation safety and protective wear (lead apron, thyroid collar, fluoroscopy goggles) compliance; practice infection control and universal precautions at all times; 12 lead EKG, phlebotomy, peripheral IV insertion, point-of care blood glucose and i-STAT blood analyzer equipment operation, maintain supply inventory , routine participation in process improvement activities at the unit level, performance improvement (Pl} and quality improvement (QI) data collection, maintain moderate sedation proficiency with biennially recertification, procedure patient scheduling and phone calls, orients and precepts new RN staff, provides patient and family education,safe patient transport and may be required to cross-train to other Special Procedure areas (for example, Cardiac Gath Lab, PACU and GI/Endoscopy).
- The RN is responsible for patient assessment, reassessment, planning, implementing and evaluating nursing care provided
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing.
- The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6)
- Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
Critical Care Experience
Interventional Radiology Experience
CCRN and/or CRN
Grade Determinations: The following criteria must be met in determining the grade assignment of candidates, and if appropriate, the level within a grade:
- Nurse I Level I - An Associate Degree (ADN) or Diploma in Nursing, with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse I Level II - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 1 year of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelor's degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience; OR a Bachelor's of Science in Nursing (BSN) with no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse I Level III - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a BSN with approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing (MSN) or related field with a BSN and no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse II - A BSN with approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing or related field with a BSN and approximately 1-2 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse III - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree.
This position requires visual acuity, keen hearing,clear distinctive speech, and manual dexterity. This position requires potentially long periods of continued walking, standing, stooping,sitting, bending, pulling,and pushing. Transferring patients and objects may be required. Mechanical inpatient lifts are provided. The incumbent may be exposed to infected patients and contaminated materials and may be required to don protective clothing in isolation situations, operative/invasive procedures,or home settings. The incumbent may occasionally be exposed to patients who are combative secondary to delirium, dementia, or psychiatric disorders. The incumbent must be a mature, flexible, sensible individual capable of working effectively in stressful situations, able to shift priorities based on patient needs. Must complete annual Employee Health requirements, such as annual TB screening or testing, as a condition of employment. The incumbent who provides care in home settings or other off-site locations may be required to drive and/or ride in GSA-vehicles.
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
CV or Resume
Proof of current certification, licensure or registration (copy of Nursing license required)
Unofficial transcript(s) - official college transcript(s) will be required before being hired). (Copy of ALL Nursing transcripts conferring Nursing degree required)
VA Form 10-2850a - Application for Nurses and Nurse Anesthetists can be found at: http://www.va.gov/vaforms/search_action.asp?FormNo=2850&tkey=&Action=Search.
The following documents are accepted, and may be required if applicable to your eligibility and/or qualifications for this position. Please use this checklist to ensure you have included all documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), etc.