Licensed Practical Nurse (Telehealth Clinical Technician) at the Nashville Annex clinics
The incumbent will be assigned to Nursing Service at the Nashville Annex Clinics (Charlotte Ave,Meharry, and the Women's Clinic) in Nashville, TN. and work under the general supervision of the Nurse Manager of the unit, and functions under the leadership of a registered nurse.
The LPN performs progressively complex age-specific nursing care for adult and geriatric inpatients or outpatients with a variety of physical, mental, behavioral or psychosocial needs, which require increased judgment and independent action, according to assignment and training.
Responsible for assisting in the coordination of patient care delivery to ensure quality care according to established standards of care/practice, policy and procedures, assist MD with frequently performed procedures, and adheres to Standard Operating This position serves within the Outpatient Clinic setting in the role of Tele-health LPN, providing for multiple tele-health, telemedicine and tele-retinal modalities of care. This position may perform multiple support functions and ancillary duties with Primary Care Clinics to include providing relief for PACT LPN's and performing procedures such as phlebotomy, EKG's, Bladder Scans, and Injections, if time permits from their CVT clinic duties.
- Telehealth presenter, imager, scheduler, equipment manager, inter-facility event coordinator, and other program support duties as assigned.
- Collecting and labeling specimens.
- Performing diagnostic procedures such as cardiac monitoring, TPR, B/P, phlebotomy etc.
- Documents and reports results to the registered nurse and/or physician and the medical record.
- Administers oral,subcutaneous, and intramuscular medications
- Additional duties and responsibilities as assigned
PHYSICAL EFFORT:See VA Handbook 5005, Part III, Chapter 2, paragraph 7, and VA Handbook 5019, Occupational Health Services. All applicants must be physically and mentally able to perform efficiently the duties of the position. Must be able to lift (30 lbs or more); twisting and/or bending, standing and/or walking almost constantly during the course of the day.
WORKING CONDITIONS:Duties are performed in a health care environment as defined by the VA Tennessee Valley Health Care System and involves regular and recurring potential for exposure to infection and contagious diseases as well as potential exposure to anger, hostile, and combative patients. The incumbent is also exposed to moderate levels of noise and radiation and must utilize protection devices. If individual wears glasses, safety shields are required and will be provided; must use personal protective equipment (RME) as required. Work is performed in a ward setting.
WORK SCHEDULE: Based on the needs of the service
To qualify for this position, applicants must meet all requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
- U.S. Citizenship - (Non-citizens may be appointed only if it is not possible to recruit qualified U.S. citizens)
- Education - Graduate of a school of practical or vocational nursing approved by the appropriate State agency accredited by the Accreditation Commission For Education in Nursing Inc. (ACEN) at the time the program was completed by the applicant. Verification can be obtained from the State approving agency or the Accreditation Commission For Education in Nursing Inc., 3343 Peachtree Road NE, Suite 850 | Atlanta, GA 30326 Or from the http://www.nlnac.org/ACEN web site. All applicants must verify that the program where you received your Nursing Degree is accredited by checking to see if it is listed on either the state agency approved list or the ACEN list (see below) in order to meet the basic qualification requirements. IF your educational degree program is not listed on one of these websites and the program was accredited at the time you graduated, you will need to submit additional written documentation from one of these agencies or from the Director of the Nursing program of your school as proof of accreditation by the ACEN or the State. Your college transcripts are not proof of this documentation.***The Accreditation Commission For Education in Nursing Inc.(ACEN), located at 3343 Peachtree Road NE, Suite 850 | Atlanta, GA 30326 or call (404) 975-5000. The ACEN accredits all levels of nursing programs. Additional information may be obtained from the ACEN. http://www.acenursing.org/ . To Verify State Nursing Board: Google - State Nursing Board of _______(the state in which the school is located) and then look for the Board of Nursing approved LPN schools. Health care education in the military service or training in the military service which is accepted by the licensing body in the jurisdiction in which the individual is licensed as qualifying for LPN/LVN licensure will be accepted as meeting the education requirements for VHA employment.The education requirement is waived for VHA employees who were converted to appointments under 38 U.S.C. 7401(3) in implementation of Public Law 98-160, enacted November 21, 1983, and for VHA employees converted to appointments under 38 U.S.C. 7405 in implementation of Public Law 99-576, enacted October 28, 1986; and for their future personnel actions under this authority. The waiver will not apply to persons appointed under 38 U.S.C. 7401(3) or 7405 after these conversions.
- Licensure - Condition of employment. Active, full, current and unrestricted licensure as a Graduate Licensed Practical or Vocational Nurse in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth (i.e. Puerto Rico), of the United States or the District of Columbia. An LPN who has or has ever had, any license(s) revoked, suspended, denied, restricted, limited, or issued/placed in a probation status may be appointed only in accordance with regulations issued by the Under Secretary for Health or designee.
- Proficient in spoken and written English - as required by 38 U.S.C. 7402(d) and 7407(d).
To Qualify at the GS-6 level - Experience - Completion of at least one (1) year of qualifying experience at the GS-05 level or equivalent and fully meeting all performance requirements for the GS-05 LPN/LVN.
Please make sure that each item below is addressed in detail in the body of your resume.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES: In addition can demonstrate the following KSAs:
1. Technically proficient in initiating, performing and completing assigned duties in providing care to variable patient populations.
2. Knowledge and ability to appropriately carry out assigned patient care based on the patients' conditions; to use judgment in selecting the appropriate order and sequence of procedures and treatments; and to accurately recognize, report and record relevant] patient information. Completed work should need only a general review by a registered nurse (RN) or physician (MD/DO) for appropriateness and conformity with established policies/procedures.
3. Ability to observe, identify and respond to the patient's needs for care, including medication, equipment-assisted care and patient/family education. In organizing and delivering care, the LPN/LVN recognizes and considers emotional, cultural, spiritual, socio-economic, and age-related factors.
4. Prepares and administers prescribed medications (oral, topical, subcutaneous, intramuscular and/or intravenous) and performs treatments according to established policies/procedures. Observes for physical and/or emotional changes in patient's condition from prescribed medications/treatments, promptly and accurately documenting noted changes, and reporting any deviations from normal to RN or MD/DO.
5. Knowledge and ability to recognize urgent or emergent patient care situations, seek assistance of the RN and/or MD/DO, and initiate appropriate emergency interventions as directed.
6. Knowledge and understanding of human behavior, patient motivations and reactions to situations, and ability to appropriately utilize this knowledge in working effectively with patients, family members, and other staff.
7. Establishes constructive relationships with individual patients and their families to elicit feelings and attitudes, and to promote positive relationships, communication and socialization skills. Fosters an environment of respect for individual patient and family rights to privacy and dignity in all aspects of care delivery. Effectively incorporates knowledge and understanding of established customer service standards in all interactions with patients, family members, and/or other internal/external customers.
8. Knowledge and skill in performing support duties for complex diagnostic tests and/or specialized practices or procedures, which include preparing the patient, assisting in the diagnostic examination, preparing and handling specialized instruments or other specialized equipment, and monitoring the patient's condition before, during, and following the procedure. Serves as a preceptor in orienting, educating, and training less experienced LPNs/LVNs or NAs/HTs related to support duties for these more complex, specialized tests/procedures.
9. Actively seeks out educational opportunities to enhance nursing knowledge and skills, sharing new knowledge gained with other staff to improve and advance nursing practice.
References: VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G13,Licensed Practical or Vocational Nurse Qualification Standard.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs(e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Veterans' Preference: When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference on the Occupational Questionnaire in the section provided and provide a legible copy of your DD214(s ) and/or documentation related to your active duty service which shows dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), or dates of impending separation. Additionally, disabled veterans and others eligible for 10-point preference (such as widows or mothers of eligible Veterans) must also submit an SF-15 "Application for 10 Point Veterans Preference" with required proof as stated on the form. For more information, please review the information for disabled Veterans in the application checklist or visit http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/index.aspx .
To be considered for this position you must provide a complete application package which includes:
* CV or Resume - include: contact information; descriptions of jobs, including name and address of employer, job title, beginning and ending date (month/year) of employment, average hours worked per week, and supervisor's name and phone number; education,including name and location of college, dates attended, and type and date of degree earned; and other information, such as licenses, certificates, etc.Descriptions of duties must sufficiently detail the level of the experience. If the position is (was) with the Federal government, either military or civilian,state series and grade or pay grade (rank) and date of last promotion.
* Responses to the Occupational Questionnaire - View Occupational Questionnaire (required)
* VA Form 10-2850c - Application for Application for Associated Health Occupations (Available at http://www.va.gov/vaforms/medical/pdf/vha-10-2850c-fill.pdf ). **
* Optional Form 306 - Declaration for Federal Employment (Available at http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/of0306.pdf). **
* If currently employed in the federal system, include latest SF-50 -Notification of Personnel Action. (required).
* If prior military service,include all copies of your DD Forms 214 (required). Applicants claiming preference based on service-connected disability, or based on being the spouse or mother of a disabled or deceased Veteran, must also complete and submit an SF-15, Application for 10-Point Veteran Preference (available at http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/SF15.pdf).
** VA Form 10-2850c and OF-306 are required if selected and will delay processing if not provided with your application.
APPLICANTS PLEASE NOTE: The selecting official for this position is not allowed access to your electronic OPF which is why it is required for you to submit a thorough and complete resume to include all of your relevant work information (i.e. starting and ending dates of employment, hours worked, duties, etc). The resume you provide through this application process is forwarded to the selecting official. It is highly recommended that you use the resume builder in USAJOBS as it contains all of the information we need to determine whether or not you are qualified for this position. Failure to provide a resume and all the documents requested in the announcement may render you not qualified for the position you are applying for.
* INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL receive a rating of IFM (ineligible due to missing forms). Requests for reconsideration of ratings will not be considered for applicants who fail to submit a complete application package. We cannot be held responsible for incompatible software or fax transmissions, etc.
Only send documentation as requested/required by this announcement and that directly supports your qualifications for this position.
NOTICE: Eligible Interagency CareerTransition Assistance Program (ICTAP) applicant you may apply for specials election over other candidates for this position. To be well-qualified and exercise selection priority for this vacancy, displaced Federal employees must be rated at 85 or above on the rating criteria for this position. ICTAP eligible must submit one of the following as proof of eligibility for the special selection priority: aseparation notice; a "Notice of Personnel Action" (SF-50) documenting separation; an agency certification that you cannot be placed after injury compensation has been terminated; an OPM notification that your disability annuity has been terminated; OR a Military Department or National Guard Bureau notification that you are retired under 5 U.S.C. 8337(h) or 8456.