Medical/Surgical Registered Nurse
Central Arkansas Veterans Healthcare System (CAVHS), features a competent nursing staff providing specialized nursing care from admission through discharge for adult and geriatric patients. The qualified Registered Nurse (RN) demonstrates a solid foundation in nursing practice using the nursing process (assessment, nursing diagnosis, planning, implementation and evaluation). Further the qualified RN accepts responsibility and maintains accountability for actions and continued professional growth. The qualified RN demonstrates ability to: 1) communicate and work effectively with others; 2) provide excellent customer service; 3)provide unit level leadership for all levels of staff; and 4) establish professional relationships with specialty and/or health related groups within the community.
This announcement will be used to fill multiple vacancies within the Medical-Surgical section of the VA Medical Center. Qualified applicants will be referred to the selecting managers for review and possible interview based on area of expertise.
Work Schedule: Various 8 and/or 12 hour shiftswith rotations required. Shift assignments will be discussed at time of interview. Rotations includeoff-tours and/or weekends.
Functional Statement Title/#:000000BASIC REQUIREMENTS:
- U.S. citizenship. Non-citizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Full unrestricted Licensure, Certification, or Registration required
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing.
- The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6)
- Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
- Grade Determinations:
The following criteria must be met in determining the grade assignment of candidates, and if appropriate, the level within a grade:
- Nurse I Level I - An Associate Degree (ADN) or Diploma in Nursing, with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse I Level II - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 1 year of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelor's degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience; OR a Bachelor's of Science in Nursing (BSN) with no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse I Level III - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a BSN with approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing (MSN) or related field with a BSN and no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse II - A BSN with approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing or related field with a BSN and approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse III - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or related field and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience.
Reference:VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-6 Nurse Qualification Standard. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
Minimum of an Associate Degree in Nursing (ADN) or a Diploma in Nursing.
Bachelor's Degree in Nursing (BSN) is strongly preferred.
Board certification from a VA approved certifying body.
Two (2) years of recent professional (RN) nursing experience is strongly preferred.Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Heavy lifting 45 pounds and over; Heavy carrying 45 pounds and over
Straight pulling (1-2 hrs); Pushing (1-2 hrs)
Reaching above shoulder (1-2 hrs); Kneeling; Repeated bending (1-2 hrs)
Walking (2-4 hrs); Standing (2-6 hrs)
Use of fingers; Use of both hands
Near vision correctable; Far vision correctable
Depth perception; Hearing (aide permitted)
Ability for rapid mental and muscular coordination simultaneously
Work closely with others, as well as, protracted or irregular hours of work
Current Central Arkansas Veterans Healthcare System Registered Nurses must submit the following documents in your application packet to be considered for this position:
1. CV or Resume
2. Current Supervisory Reference - Must be from immediate reporting official/annual evaluator
3. Occupational Questionnaire (only if unable to apply electronically)
All others must provide a complete Application package which includes:
1.CV or Resume
2. VA Form 10-2850a - Application for Nurses and Nurse Anesthetists (Available at: http://www.va.gov/vaforms/search_action.asp?FormNo=10-2850&amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;tkey=&amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;Action=Search)
3.Form 306 - Declaration for Federal Employment (Available at: http://www.opm.gov/Forms/pdf_fill/OF306.pdf)
4. If prior military service, include all copies of your DD Form 214
5. Current Supervisory Reference - Must be from immediate reporting official/annual evaluator. (Available at http://www.littlerock.va.gov/careers/nursing/nursing_applications.asp)
6. BLS Certification
7. Occupation Questionnaire (only if unable to apply electronically)
Please use this checklist to make sure you have included other documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), documentation to support Veterans Preference claims, etc. You will not be contacted for additional information.
Veterans' Preference: When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference for 5pt (TP), or 10pt (CP/CPS, XPP, XP), or for Sole Survivor Preference (SSP), on the Occupational Questionnaire in the section(s) provided. A legible copy of your DD214(s) indicating character of service, disability certification, SF-15 (if claiming 10 pt. preference) or if you are currently serving on active duty and expected to be released or discharged within 120 days; documentation related to your active duty service which reflects the dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), or dates of impending separation. Documentation is required for eligibility verification.
Faxing Applications or Supporting Documents: You are encouraged to apply online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application. If you are unable to apply online or unable to upload your supporting documents to your online application, follow the directions located at the following site: Fax Options. The Vacancy ID of the job opportunity announcement is 1998373.
NOTE: If you applied online and your application is complete, do not fax the paper application (1203-FX) as this will overwrite your prior online responses and may result in you being found ineligible.