Registered Nurse-Perioperative Services
The Perioperative Registered Nurse is responsible for pre-operative and post-operative care for patients who have been scheduled for a variety of surgical and invasive procedures. The RN demonstrates leadership in delivering and improving holistic care through collaborative strategies with professional and supportive personnel who provide patient care.?, Participates in activities that contribute to professional development and enhance role performances. Demonstrates the ability for decision making by integrating theoretical knowledge with practical experience in caring for patients. Based on education, experience and competency, the RN may be assigned responsibilities as preceptor or charge nurse.
Tour of Duty: 40 hour work week Monday-Friday with the exception of holidays. 8 or 10 hours tours between the hours of 5:30am- 7:30pm.
Candidate must be willing to work weekends, irregular work hours and extended hours . Be willing to be placed, on detailed or temporarily assigned to other related services and/or locations, if necessary.
* U.S. citizenship. Non-citizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
* Full unrestricted Licensure, Certification, or Registration required
* Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing. The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6)
* Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
GRADE DETERMINATIONS: The following criteria must be met in determining the grade assignment of candidates, and if appropriate, the level within a grade:
*Nurse I Level I - An Associate Degree (ADN) or Diploma in Nursing, no experience.
*Nurse I Level II - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 1 year of experience, or an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelor's degree in a related field and no experience; or a Bachelors of Science in Nursing (BSN) and no experience.
*Nurse I Level III - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 2-3 years of experience, or an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelors degree in a related field and approximately 1-2 years of experience; or a BSN with approximately 1-2 years of experience, or a Master's degree in nursing (MSN) or related field with a BSN and no experience.
*Nurse II - A BSN with approximately 2-3 years of experience, or ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelors degree in a related field and approximately 2-3 years experience or a Master's degree in nursing or related field with a BSN and approximately 1-2 years experience, or a Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral degree in a related field with no experience.
*Nurse III - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 2-3 years experience or Doctoral degree in nursing or related field and approximately 2-3 years experience.
*Current Basic Life Support (BLS) certification and a current Advanced Cardiac Life Support Certification (ACLS)by an approved provider.
*Minimum Two year of Medical/Surgical telemetry nursing experience preferred.
* PhaseI and Phase II recovery experience preferred.
This position requires visual acuity, keen hearing, clear distinctive speech, and manual dexterity. This position may require potentially long periods of continued standing. The incumbent must be able to demonstrate educational technical skills and required to set up, manage, and operate highly technological equipment. The incumbent must be a mature, flexible, sensible individual capable of working effectively in stressful situations, requiring the shifting of priorities based on emerging and changing educational needs.
Veterans' Preference: When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference on the Occupational Questionnaire in the section provided and provide a legible copy of your DD214(s) and/or documentation related to your active duty service which shows dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), or dates of impending separation.
Additionally, disabled veterans and others eligible for 10-point preference (such as widows or mothers of eligible Veterans) must also submit an SF-15 "Application for 10 Point Veterans Preference" with required proof as stated on the form.?, For more information, please review the information for disabled Veterans in the application checklist or visit http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/index.aspx.
*Other(VA Form 10-2850a - Application for Nurse and Nurse Anesthetist )
Applicants may also submit the following supporting document type(s),which may not be required for all applicants:*Cover Letter
*Other Veterans Document
VA Form 10-2850c - Application for Associated Health Occupations (required). Available at the VA Forms website: http://www.va.gov/vaforms/search_action.asp?FormNo=10-2850&tkey=&Action=Search.
Please use this checklist to make sure you have included other documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), documentation to support Veterans Preference claims, or ICTAP/CTAP documentation (for displaced Federal employees). You will not be contacted for additional information.
Faxing Applications or Supporting Documents:
You are encouraged to apply online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application. If you are unable to apply online or unable to upload your supporting documents to your online application, follow the directions located at the following site: Fax Options. The Vacancy ID of the job opportunity announcement is 1992948.
NOTE: If you applied online and your application is complete, do not fax the paper application (1203-FX) as this will overwrite your prior online responses and may result in you being found ineligible.