Registered Nurse - Nurse Manager-Emergency Department
The Nurse Manager is an expert nurse who provides leadership in the Emergency Department. The manager is responsible for staffing, scheduling and employee relations. The Nurse Manager is responsible for competency and education of staff, development and evaluation of clinical programs. This position will work closely with the interdisciplinary team including Nursing Clinical Support, Surgery Service, Medical Center management, and other departments within the medical center. This position requires strong clinical skills and experience in emergency medicine and management experience showing progressive leadership, and effective communication skills.
Work Schedule: Mainly day shift, administrative work week with required flexibility to meet with staff on extended tours and for off tour coverage..
Functional Statement Title/#: Registered Nurse-Nurse Manager, ER/000000
- U.S. citizenship. Non-citizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
Full unrestricted Licensure, Certification, or Registration required
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing.
The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6)
- Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
The following criteria must be met in determining the grade assignment of candidates, and if appropriate, the level within a grade:
Nurse I Level I - An Associate Degree (ADN) or Diploma in Nursing, with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
Nurse I Level II - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 1 year of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelor's degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience; OR a Bachelor's of Science in Nursing (BSN) with no additional nursing practice/experience.
Nurse I Level III - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a BSN with approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing (MSN) or related field with a BSN and no additional nursing practice/experience.
Nurse II - A BSN with approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing or related field with a BSN and approximately 1-2 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
Nurse III - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or related field and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience.
Reference: VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-6 Nurse Qualification Standard. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
Preferred Experience: BSN/3-5 years of nursing experience/Critical Carew Nursing Experience
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Physical Requirements: Eligible applicants must be physically and mentally able to perform the following: Heavy lifting, 45 pounds and over; heavy carrying, 45 pounds and over; straight pulling one (1) hour; pushing; reaching above shoulder; use of fingers; both hands required; walking seven (7) hours; standing seven (7) hours; kneeling 1/2 hour; repeated bending; both legs required; ability for rapid mental and muscular coordination simultaneously; near vision correctable at 13" to 16" to Jaeger 1 to 4; far vision correctable in one eye to 20/20 and to 20/40 in the other; ability to distinguish basic colors; ability to distinguish shades of colors; hearing without aid; mental/emotional stability; Environmental Factors required: Working outside and inside; dust; working with hands in water, working closely with others and protracted or irregular hours of work.
You must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
1. Resume: Your resume must have the following information for each position you have held (job title, duties, dates of employment including month and year (start/end dates), and full time or part-time status with the number of hours worked each week).
2. VA Form 10-2850a- Application for Nurse and Nurse Anesthetists: Available at http://vaww.va.gov/vaforms/medical/pdf/vha-10-2850a-091998-fill.pdf. (REQUIRED)
3. SF-50 - Notification of Personnel Action: Ensure that Occupational Title, Series, and Grade are displayed. Provide this ONLY if you are a former federal employee.
4. DD Forms 214: Ensure that character of service is listed on the copy (preferably member 4 copy). Provide this ONLY if you are a former member of the military.
5. SF 15 - Application for 10-Point Veteran Preference: Applicants claiming preference based on service-connected disability, or based on being the spouse or mother of a disabled or deceased Veteran, must also complete and submit an (available at https://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/sf15.pdf).
If selected, the following documents will be required:
1. Three signed professional letters of recommendation.
2. Optional Form 306 - Declaration for Federal Employment https://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/of0306.pdf.
3. All RN applicants must address the Nursing Four Dimensions (Practice, Professional Development, Collaboration, and Scientific Inquiry).
4. Transcripts: Copy of college transcripts that reflect your nursing degree and/or related degrees.
Veterans' Preference: When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference on the Occupational Questionnaire in the section provided and provide a legible copy of your DD214(s) and/or documentation related to your active duty service which shows dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), or dates of impending separation. Additionally, disabled veterans and others eligible for 10-point preference (such as widows or mothers of eligible Veterans) must also submit an SF-15 "Application for 10 Point Veterans Preference" with required proof as stated on the form. For more information, please visit http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/index.aspx.
Faxing Applications or Supporting Documents: You are encouraged to apply online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application. If you are unable to apply online or unable to upload your supporting documents to your online application, follow the directions located at the following site: Fax Options. The Vacancy ID of the job opportunity announcement is 1998522.
NOTE: If you applied online and your application is complete, do not fax the paper application (1203-FX) as this will overwrite your prior online responses and may result in you being found ineligible.