APRN - Primary Care Nurse Practitioner
The Nurse Practitioner in the VA SLC Primary Care Clinics is responsible for managing an assigned group (panel) of patients with acute and/or chronic disease in the ambulatory care setting. Management is achieved through assessment, planning, implementation, collaboration and evaluation to meet the needs of patients. The nurse practitioner promotes self-care and enlists the participation of the Patient Aligned Care Team (PACT)and patients in establishing realistic health goals . In addition to providing direct patient care, the nurse practitioner also provides patient and family teaching; staff education; consults and collaborates with other health care providers; participates in nursing research; prescribes medications and adjunctive modalities; and refers patients as needed. The nurse practitioner adheres to the American Nurses' Association Standards of Practice for the Primary Care/Family/Adult/ Nurse Practitioner. Duties include but not limited to:
- Obtains and documents relevant health and medical history.
- Documents in Computerized Patient Record System (CPRS).
- Conducts preventive screening procedures based on history.
- Performs a physical examination based on history.
- Orders and interprets diagnostic tests.
- Identifies medical and health risks and needs of the patient/family based on data collection.
- Formulates the appropriate differential diagnosis based on the history, physical examination and clinical findings.
- Establishes a plan of care to achieve the identified medical and health goals.
- Prescribes (and administers) medications which may include controlled substances per licensure.
- Identifies patient education needs and provides for relevant education.
- Initiates referrals and/or consultations as appropriate to achieve an interdisciplinary plan of care including referrals to community agencies.
- Determines effectiveness of the plan of care through documentation of client (patient) care outcomes.
- Promotes the PACT model of care
- Utilizes available data reports for panel management and PACT team care coordination.
- Is proactive in identifying potential emergency/crisis situations and providing appropriate interventions.
- Performs procedures within the approved scope of practice and based on documented competencies as listed in providers Credentialing and Privileging file. .
- Promotes continuity of care.
- Demonstrates excellent customer service.
Financial Disclosure Report: Not RequiredTo qualify for this position, applicants must meet all requirements within 30 days of the closing date of this announcement.
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing.
- The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6)
- Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
- A nurse practitioner must be licensed or otherwise recognized as a nurse practitioner in a State, possess a master's degree from a program accredited by the NLNAC or CCNE, and maintain full and current certification as a nurse practitioner from the American Nurses Association or another nationally recognized certifying body. [The certification must be in the specialty to which the individual is being appointed or selected.]
Grade Determinations: The following criteria must be met in determining the grade assignment of candidates, and if appropriate, the level within a grade:
- Nurse I Level I - An Associate Degree (ADN) or Diploma in Nursing, with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse I Level II - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 1 year of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelor's degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience; OR a Bachelor's of Science in Nursing (BSN) with no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse I Level III - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a BSN with approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing (MSN) or related field with a BSN and no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse II - A BSN with approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing or related field with a BSN and approximately 1-2 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse III - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree.
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
The following documents are accepted, and may be required if applicable to your eligibility and/or qualifications for this position. Please use this checklist to ensure you have included all documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), etc.
- Cover Letter
- Other Veterans Document