Registered Nurse (Community Living Centers)
The Registered Nurse for the Community Living Centers - Long Term Care and Hospice units at the VA Medical Centers duties include but are not limited to:The RN is responsible for awareness of the physical, emotional and spiritual needs for a group of residents and coordinating/providing that care within the scope of practice and policies and procedures of the Community Living Center; the amount of residents differs on each shift.
* The RN will oversee and supervise several nursing assistants and LPN's to ensure the patient care is delivered timely and accurately.
* The RN will work alongside their nursing care team to ensure the care is delivered; physical, emotional, and spiritual
* Ensure medications are administered timely and accurately, and report medication errors promptly and timely
* The RN works together with the Interdisciplinary Team to ensure everything possible is done according to the resident's wishes.
* The RN will ensure daily operations of the neighborhood are carried out smoothly.
* The RN will communicate with NM or supervisor any unusual issues, staffing needs, resident incidents
* The RN will identify needs for education of care partners they oversee and either provide or coordinate the provision of that education in a timely manner.
Tour of Duty: 8 and 12 hour tours available for all shifts with rotating weekends and rotation to meet resident's needs. Days , Evenings and Nights. Rotation of weekend and holidays. Rotation to opposite tour of duty as required.
Functional Statement Title/#: Registered Nurse / FS#573-FS-118-12, FS#573-FS-118-14, FS#573-FS-118-16, FS#573-FS-118-17, FS#573-FS-118-18
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing.
- The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6)
- Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
- Bachelors in Nursing.(Preferred)
- One year of satisfactory geriatrics or medical/surgical clinical experience.(Preferred)
- Demonstrates dependability and flexibility.(Preferred)
- Demonstrates strong ability to function independently.(Preferred)
- Experience working with Interdisciplinary Team.(Preferred)
- Excellent communication skills.(Preferred)
- BCLS certification required.
- **For 3South Hospice Unit:One year Hospice/Palliative Care experience.(Preferred)
- Nurse I Level I - An Associate Degree (ADN) or Diploma in Nursing, with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse I Level II - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 1 year of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelor's degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience; OR a Bachelor's of Science in Nursing (BSN) with no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse I Level III - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a BSN with approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing (MSN) or related field with a BSN and no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse II - A BSN with approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing or related field with a BSN and approximately 1-2 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse III - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree.
Selected applicants will be required to complete an online on boarding process.
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
- (REQUIRED) Resume your resume must have the following information for each position you have held: Job title, Duties, Dates of employment - month and year start/end dates - full-time or part-time status with the average number of hours worked each week
- (REQUIRED) Clear Copy of Transcripts for education verification. Unofficial copy can be used to apply, however Official Transcripts will be REQUIRED AND VERIFIED prior to appointment.
- (REQUIRED) Clear Copy of Licensure/Certification with CURRENT expiration date.
- (REQUIRED) VA Form 10-2850a- Application for Nurses and Nurse Anesthetists. This form must be submitted as a full and completed document (to include signature on pages 3 and 4) to satisfy the 'required document' eligibility. (Available: http://www.va.gov/vaforms/medical/pdf/vha-10-2850a-fill.pdf )
- (REQUIRED) IF prior military, Copy of DD-214 showing character of discharge. Standard Form 15 (SF-15) for Veterans Preference, and/or Veterans Preference Letter are required to verify and apply status.
- (REQUIRED) IF current or former federal employee, you must submit a non-award SF-50. Notification of Personnel Action to verify and apply status. The SF-50 must show last position, grade, series, etc. 'Awards' or 'Incentive' SF-50's do not contain the required information and will not be considered valid required documentation to verify status.
The following documents are accepted, and may be required if applicable to your eligibility and/or qualifications for this position. Please use this checklist to ensure you have included all documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), etc.