Nursing Assistant (In-Patient Mental Health)
Four (4) vacancies existed, in Jackson, Mississippi for a Nursing Assistant (In-Patient Mental Health), Nursing Service. The Nursing Assistant is accountable to the RN, Nurse Manager/Supervisor/designee, the Chief Nurse and ultimately to the Associate Director for Patient Care Services. Duties include but are not limited to:
* Assist licensed nursing staff and other in the care of patients/residents receiving inpatient and outpatient mental health card, or other patients/residents who are in acute, sub-acute or chronic states of illness or recurs outpatient procedures or surgery
* Participates and/or leads performance improvement activities, especially in patient flow performance improvement or safe patient handling
* Assists doctors and nurses in the performance of diagnostic examinations or procedures such as vital sign monitoring, preparing/positioning patients, and demonstrates
* Uses equipment, materials and supplies in diagnostic and treatment procedures such as EKGs, bladder scanning and collection of urine samples
* Supports and participates in group or other therapeutic interventions
* Performs a complete range of treatment procedures such as routine urinary catheter care; application of condom catheters; external application of cold and heat with RN direction; emptying of colostomy; oxygen monitoring
* Performs treatments such as foot-soaks and applications of non-prescribed/non-medicated topical lotions, perform basic care to patients requiring the use of seclusion
* Enters specific information into the patents' Electronic Medical Record or written records as needed
* Able to observe patients/residents physical or emotional status and refer deviations and/or problems to supervisor in a timely manner
* Assist with admission, transfers, and discharge of patients
* Performs post-mortem care if needed
* Plans, organizes, and prioritizes assigned workload in collaboration with the multidisciplinary team
* Communicates effectively with patients/residents, their families and other health professionals, visitors or other customers
Work Schedule: Permanent Evening, 3:30 pm. - 12:00 pm (midnight) and Permanent Nights, 12:00 pm (midnight) - 8:00 am., including weekends and holidays
Functional Statement Title/#: Nursing Assistant/586-000
Relocation Incentive: Not authorized for this position.
AREA OF CONSIDERATAION (WHO MAY APPLY): Open to Current, Permanent Department of Veteran Affairs Employees Only (1st Area of Consideration - current permanent G.V. (Sonny) Montgomery VAMC employees; 2nd Area of Consideration - current permanent VA Nationwide employees.)
a. Citizenship. Citizen of the United States. (Non-citizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with chapter 3, section A, paragraph 3g, this part.)
b. Education or Training. One year above high school with courses related to the NA occupation. Completion of an intensive, specialized, occupation-related course of study of less than one year as a nursing assistant may also meet in full the experience requirements for GS-3.
c. Physical Requirements. See VA Directive and Handbook 5019.
d. English Language Proficiency. [NAs] must be proficient in spoken and written English in accordance with VA Handbook 5005, part II, chapter 3, section A, paragraph 3j.
GS-5 (Full Performance Level)
Experience. One year of progressively responsible assignments and experience equivalent to the GS-4 level which demonstrates knowledge, skills, and abilities that are directly related to the specific assignment. In addition, the candidate must demonstrate the professional KSAs listed below;
Education. Successful completion of a 4-year course of study above high school leading to a bachelor's degree that included 24 semester hours of courses related to health care or possession of a bachelor's degree;
Demonstrated Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1. Ability to assist in the full range of nursing care to patients/residents with physical and/or behavioral problems in a hospital, long term care or outpatient setting under the direction of a Registered Nurse and/or Licensed Vocational Nurse/Licensed Practical Nurse.
2. Ability to communicate orally with patients/residents, families, interdisciplinary team and other personnel. This includes serving as a preceptor to new [NAs] by assisting with the coordination of their orientation and overseeing/assessing their practical experience while in a clinical setting.
3. Ability to recognize and react to emergent patient/resident care situations and intervene while waiting for assistance. For example, recognizing need for basic life support, controlling bleeding and assisting with behavior crisis, etc.
Assignment. This is the full performance level for [NAs]. [NAs] at this grade level function as a member of the nursing care team and assist licensed nursing staff in the care of patients/residents receiving outpatient care, home or community living care or other patients/residents who are in acute, sub-acute or chronic states of illness. The distinguishing factor is that patient/resident assignments typically involve more complex nursing needs which can vary within a range of predictable to unpredictable requirements. [NAs] at this level also assume more of a peer education/mentorship role.
Preferred Experience: One (1) or two (2) years of nursing assistance experience working in mental health.
Reference: VA Handbook 5005/81, Part II, Appendix G46, Nursing Assistant Qualification Standards
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Physical Requirements: Heavy lifting (45 lbs. and over); Heavy carrying (45 lbs. and over); Pulling hand over hand (2-4 hours); Pushing (2-4 hours); Reaching above shoulder; Use of fingers; Both hands required; Walking (8 hours); Standing (8 hours); Repeated bending (2-4 hours); Both legs required; Ability for rapid mental and muscular coordination simultaneously; Near vision correctable at 13" to 16" to Jaeger 1 to 4; Far vision correctable in one eye to 20/20 and to 20/40 in the other; Ability to distinguish basic colors; Hearing (aid permitted); Emotional stability; Mental stability
Environmental Factors: Dust; Fumes, smoke or gases; Electrical energy; Working with hands in water; Working closely with other; Protracted or irregular hours of work
All applicants are required to submit the following supporting document type(s):
*Other(10-2850c-Application for Health Associated Occupations)
Applicants may also submit the following supporting document type(s),which may not be required for all applicants:*Cover Letter
*Other Veterans Document
1. RESUME: Must include the vacancy announcement number, position title, grade, how to contact you, descriptions of jobs held including the name and address of employer, job title, description of duties (be as detailed as possible), beginning and ending date, (month and year, e.g. June 2007 to April 2008 ) of employment, and average hours worked per week (Full-time or part-time status (include hours worked per week).
NOTE: Please be aware that your answers will be verified against information provided on your resume. Be sure that your resume clearly supports your responses to all of the questions by addressing your work experience in detail.
Recommended: Even though we do not require a specific resume format, your resume must be clear so that we are able to fully evaluate your qualifications. To ensure you receive appropriate consideration, please list the duties you performed under each individual job title. If we are unable to match your experiences with the positions held, you may lose consideration for this vacancy. We cannot make assumptions regarding your qualifications. (Required)
2. QUESTIONNAIRE: Completed Occupational View Occupational Questionnaire Questionnaire (Required)
3. OF-306: Declaration for Federal Employment (OF-306), this document needs to be signed and dated manually. We cannot accepted electronic signatures. Available at www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/of0306.pdf (Recommended)
4. Eligibility Documentation: Current, permanent employees of the Department of Veterans Affairs must submit a copy of their latest SF-50 (Notification of Personnel Action) showing series, grade and step of current position. (Required)
5. College Transcripts. Transcripts needed to show completion of higher education. They need not be official transcripts at this time. Official transcripts well be requested of applicant after selection. (Required)
6. Application Form, 10-2850c: Application for Associated Health Occupations. Available at the VA Forms website: http://www.va.gov/vaforms/search_action.asp?FormNo=10-2850&tkey=&Action=Search (Required)
Please use this checklist to make sure you have included other documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), documentation to support Veterans Preference claims, etc. You will not be contacted for additional information.
Veterans' Preference: When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference for 5pt (TP), or 10pt (CP/CPS, XPP, XP), or for Sole Survivor Preference (SSP), on the Occupational Questionnaire in the section(s) provided. A legible copy of your DD214(s) indicating character of service, disability certification, SF-15 (if claiming 10 pt. preference) or if you are currently serving on active duty and expected to be released or discharged within 120 days; documentation related to your active duty service which reflects the dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), or dates of impending separation. Documentation is required for eligibility verification.
Faxing Applications or Supporting Documents: You are encouraged to apply online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application. If you are unable to apply online or unable to upload your supporting documents to your online application, follow the directions located at the following site: Fax Options. The Vacancy ID of the job opportunity announcement is 1990740.
NOTE: If you applied online and your application is complete, do not fax the paper application (1203-FX) as this will overwrite your prior online responses and may result in you being found ineligible.