Registered Nurse - Surgical Unit
The Bay Pines VA Healthcare System is actively recruiting for experienced Registered Nurse's (RN) to fill the Acute Care Unit RN vacancies at the C.W. Bill Young VA Medical Center. The incumbent may be assigned to The Acute Care Unit - Surgical Floor (3D). Surgical Ward 3D provides care to pre and post-surgical patients. Surgeries include general, urology, orthopedic, gastric bypass, plastics, vascular, ENT, and others. The professional RN will autonomously provide physical assessments and design a plan of care based on those observations and previous medical orders and history as well as admission assessments and primary nursing care. The responsibilities will include but are not limited to IV therapy, medication administration, nursing diagnosis, treatment plans, point of care testing, team leading, as well as patient and family education. The incumbent will occupy a leadership role with oversight of LPN and Nursing Assistants. The incumbent will be required to participate in interdisciplinary rounds, unit base council, projects and committees. RN will perform other duties under the direction of the nurse manager or designee as assigned.
Work Schedule: 8 or 12 hour evening/night shift tour, with a weekend rotation.
Financial Disclosure Report: Not Required
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing.
- The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6)
- Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
Preferred Certification: A National Certification.
BLS Certification is Required.
Grade Determinations: The following criteria must be met in determining the grade assignment of candidates, and if appropriate, the level within a grade:
- Nurse I Level I - An Associate Degree (ADN) or Diploma in Nursing, with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse I Level II - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 1 year of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelor's degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience; OR a Bachelor's of Science in Nursing (BSN) with no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse I Level III - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a BSN with approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing (MSN) or related field with a BSN and no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse II - A BSN with approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing or related field with a BSN and approximately 1-2 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse III - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree.
Heavy Lifting, 45 pounds and over
Straight pulling 8 hrs
Pushing 8 hrs
Reaching above shoulder
Use of fingers
Both Hands required
Walking 8 hrs
Standing 8 hrs
Repeated bending 8 hrs
Both legs required
Near vision correctable at 13" to 16"
Far vision correctable in one eye to 20/20
Hearing (aid permitted)
Solvents (degreasing agents)
Working with hands in water
Working closely with other
Protracted or irregular hours of work
Selected applicants may be required to complete an online onboarding process.
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
1. Resume or CV. (Required)
2. VA Form 10-2850a - Application for Nurses and Nurse Anesthetists can be found at: http://www.va.gov/vaforms/search_action.asp?FormNo=2850&tkey=&Action=Search. (Required)
3.Copy of RN License/Registration. (Required)
4.Copy of Transcripts, or degree certificate-Unofficial. (Required)
5.Copy of BLS. (Required)
If current or former federal employee, include your latest SF-50 - Notification of Personnel Action. This is a required form and must be submitted with your application. (No Award SF-50s will be accepted) you must provide a copy of your last or most recent SF-50, "Notification of Personnel Action." This is the most recent SF-50 that indicates proof of status (If you are a career or a career-conditional employee) and identifies your position, title, series, grade, step, tenure, and type of service (Competitive or Excepted). (Available in your e-OPF). (If applicable).
If prior military service, your DD Form 214 (Member 4 Copy), and VA Letter. Applicants claiming preference based on service-connected disability, or based on being the spouse or mother of a disabled or deceased Veteran, must include VA Letter, and also complete and submit an SF 15, Application for 10-Point Veteran Preference, (plus the proof required by the SF 15). (If Applicable)
Optional Form 306 - Declaration for Federal Employment. (Optional)
***Please Note - A complete application package contains: 1. Resume or CV. 2. Application for Nurses & Nurse Anesthetists VA Form 10-2850a. 3. Copy of RN License/Registration. 4. Copy of Transcripts or Degree Certificate (Unofficial) 5. Copy of BLS. Failure to submit a complete application package, may result in an ineligible rating, and/or loss of consideration.***
The following documents are accepted, and may be required if applicable to your eligibility and/or qualifications for this position. Please use this checklist to ensure you have included all documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), etc.