Assistant Nurse Manager- Critical Care
Under the direction of the nurse manager or other nursing leader, the assistant nurse manager has responsibility for the effective implementation of the philosophy, goals, policies, and procedures of the hospital and the nursing department and their effect on patient care in the department.
1. Assists the nurse manager and divisional director in development, implementation and evaluation of ongoing service programs which assure quality nursing, and patient care programs consistent with the hospital mission.
2. Assists the nurse manager to monitor/maintain unit compliance with regulatory, accrediting and hospital policy for patient services, and environmental and personnel safety.
3. Maintains current license and knowledge of nursing care requirements for all patients on the unit. Assesses need for personal growth and development and takes the initiative in seeking opportunities to meet this need.
4. Accurately identifies real/potential problems affecting the service and implements solutions with follow through and communication.
5. Collaborates with the nurse manager to a service that is consistent with the patient care beliefs and shared management philosophy of the department.
6. Consults with patients/families through primary nurse request, direct family request and/or direct assessment of patient/family response to hospitalization. Assesses patient/significant other survey responses regarding nursing care and services.
7. Responsible for ongoing development of staff and unit specific patient care programs.
8. Shares responsibility with the nurse manager for effective communication horizontally and vertically within the organization.
9. In collaboration with the nurse manager, is responsible for effective and efficient fiscal management of department operations to ensure proper utilization of organizational and financial resources.
10. In collaboration with the nurse manager, is responsible for department’s operational excellence; assures department delivers quality services in accordance with applicable policies, procedures and professional standards.
11. Manages human resources to ensure quality services and promote positive employee relations.
12. Collaborates with the nurse manager to ensure proper utilization of organization’s financial resources.
13. Effectively communicates departmental, organization and industry information to staff.
14. Attains all agreed to goals and objectives within specified time frames, as part of the organization’s overall mission.
15. Attends all required safety training programs and can describe his/her responsibilities related to general safety, department/service safety and specific job related hazards.
16. Follows the hospital exposure control plans/blood borne and airborne pathogens.
17. Demonstrates respect and regard for the dignity of all patients, families, visitors and fellow employees to ensure a professional, responsible, and courteous environment.
18. Promotes effective working relations and works effectively as part of a department/unit team inter- and intra-departmentally to facilitate the department’s/unit’s ability to meet its goals and objectives.
19. Provides for the safety of all hospital personnel.
20. Manages patient placement, facilities, and resources.
21. Provides information and professional support to staff.
22. Serves as a role model and resource for staff.
23. Represents nursing and hospital administration on the off shifts.
24. Participates in the development of nursing staff.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
A. Education / Training:
· Associates or Bachelor’s degree in Nursing required. MSN preferred.
B. Work Experience:
· Two (2) years of nursing required. 3+ years of clinical experience preferred.
C. Certification, Licensure, Registration:
· Current RN in State of Michigan required.
D. Other Qualifications:
· Nursing Certification in specialty area preferred.