$15K Sign On Bonus!
Infants and children come to SSM Health Cardinal Glennon Children's Hospital by ambulance and helicopter from all over Missouri and Illinois. Many of these children are brought to the hospital by using our specially trained Neonatal and Pediatric Transport Team.
The Transport Team is made up of paramedics, registered nurses and respiratory therapists who have advanced training in the stabilization, treatment and transport of babies and children.
The Transport Team services over 120 hospitals in the bistate and beyond. They are readily available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. In addition to bringing children to the Dan Dierdorf Level I Pediatric Emergency and Trauma Center, the Dana Brown Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) and the state-of-the-art Pediatric Intensive Care Unit at SSM Health Cardinal Glennon, the transport teams also assist with inter-hospital transports within their respective regions.Functions as the crew lead for neonatal / pediatric specialty team transports. Collaborates to provide exceptional care during the ground or air transport of acute or critically ill / injured neonatal or pediatric patients. The team’s care is guided by clinical assessment, critical thinking, established patient care guidelines (PCGs) and in-direct medical control. Manages customer service and experience; collaborating for education and process improvement initiatives; patient care documentation and equipment readiness.
- Utilizes transport and critical care equipment in a competent manner.
- Performs or assists with Basic Life Support (BLS) and Advanced Life Support (ALS) skills during patient care including, but not limited to, initiation of PIV/IO/UVC, managing IV fluids (including blood products), naso/oral/pharyngeal suctioning, insertion of NG/OG tubes, needle thoracotomy, and insertion/maintenance of an endotracheal tube or LMA.
- Assess patient and environmental situation to develop plan of nursing care based on patient status and diagnosis. Monitors patient response and adjusts accordingly and communicates necessary information through medical control.
- Assists and performs daily inventory of equipment on ambulance, aircraft, in storerooms and equipment bags. Assists with care, calibration and maintenance of all equipment.
- Maintains thorough patient care documentation according to the standard outlined by department and ministry policy.
- Achieves and maintains proficient knowledge of transport team Patient Care Guidelines (PCGs).
- Acts as a preceptor and/or participates in orientation of new employees and students as assigned.
- Participates/attends in-house education, outreach education, department process improvement projects. Undertakes and maintains projects to include research and publishing opportunities.
- Maintains awareness of current issues related to transport medicine through participation in professional activities, i.e. national, state legislative-elected or appointed.
- Maintains currency and documentation of prescribed education, certifications and licensures.
- Works in a constant state of alertness and safe manner.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Graduate of accredited school of nursing
- Three years' registered nurse experience in critical care
- Constant use of speech to share information through oral communication.
- Constant standing and walking.
- Frequent lifting/carrying and pushing/pulling objects weighing 0-25 lbs.
- Frequent sitting, reaching and keyboard use/data entry.
- Frequent use of vision and depth perception for distances near (20 inches or less) and far (20 feet or more) and to identify and distinguish colors.
- Frequent use of smell to detect/recognize odors.
- Frequent use of hearing to receive oral communication, distinguish body sounds and/or hear alarms, malfunctioning machinery, etc.
- Occasional lifting/carrying and pushing/pulling objects weighing 25-50 lbs.
- Occasional lifting/moving of patients.
- Occasional bending, stooping, kneeling, squatting, twisting, gripping and repetitive foot/leg and hand/arm movements.
- Occasional driving.
- Rare crawling and running.