The Team Manager is the leader of the Patient Care Team that ensures that patients and families receive continuity and quality of care from admission to discharge or transfer to bereavement.
Patient Care Services
- Directs all patient care services for the team, including volunteer and bereavement, and ensures that services are rendered as integrated components of the interdisciplinary plan of care.
- Collaborates with both the team physician and the attending physician as needed and acts as the clinical resource for the interdisciplinary team
- Participates in all potential alive discharges to ensure effective discharge planning
- Oversees the team schedule and coordination of services to insure coverage for all patients on the team.
- Fills in and provides patient care within their scope of practice during times of need
Staff Supervision and Management
- Interviews, selects, trains, supervises, evaluates and dismisses team staff in conjunction with the Patient Care Administrator
- Assures staff competence and performance levels through making field visits, evaluating documentation and providing team based in services on Vitas values, hospice principles and practices and specific team growth needs.
- Acts as a resource and mentor for staff re clinical issues, documentation, inter- and intra- team problem solving and appropriate customer service behavior
- Oversees staff and volunteer schedules, scheduling and territory assignments to assure that workload is distributed equitably and that all staff are able to meet overall productivity expectations.
- Reviews and approves payroll, assuring that employees have documented accurate time, mileage and additional expenses.
- Participates in on-call rotation.
Quality Improvement/Regulatory Compliance
- Monitors clinical records and all team activities to ensure that they are accurate, complete and meet required standards in accordance with VITAS policy and all regulatory bodies.
- Participates in performance improvement activities to respond to service issues and challenges, and documentation issues
- Participates in and complies with QAPI program.
- Assists as requested by program senior management team with surveys and requests from regulatory bodies and intermediaries
- Performs required chart reviews to ensure quality care is being delivered.
- Assures that service issues with patients/families or internal customers are resolved promptly and satisfactorily.
- Analyzes customer service issues on team to identify causes and works with individual team members as well as entire team to improve performance.
- Actively participates in potential revocations or service concerns
- Regularly visits LTC and Contract Bed facilities to assure care plan integration, customer satisfaction and to discuss criteria for determining appropriateness.
- Participates in professional, voluntary or community service organizations
- Verifies treatments, staffing and supplies.
- Monitors resources and utilization of clinical operations including but not limited to labor, pharmacy, medical supplies, equipment and mileage.
- Approves all bills/invoices related to patient care services
- Oversees staff and volunteer schedules, scheduling and territory assignments to assure that workload is distributed equitably and that all staff are able to meet overall productivity expectations
- Attends in-services, educational seminars and workshops.
- Develops and achieves professional growth goals and objectives.
- Participates as a mentor of newly hired Team Managers.
- Reliable transportation with appropriate license and insurance coverage for driver and passengers.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of primary medical and nursing care, with at least a working knowledge of oncologic nursing and palliative care.
- Basic understanding of the interpersonal dynamics operative within the working relationships of an interdisciplinary health care team, and knowledge of the process of dying and bereavement.
- Working knowledge of VITAS information system (Vx) and the ability to utilize management reports.
- Two years successful supervisory experience or equivalent in a health care organization.
- Bachelor's degree in Nursing or related field from an accredited college or university or the international equivalent preferred
- Current and valid R.N. License to practice in the state where the VITAS program is located.
- EOE/AA M/F/D/V
VITAS® Healthcare is the nation’s leading provider of end-of-life care, and has the resources and expertise to support your personal and professional growth. As a member of the VITAS team, you’ll find fulfillment working for a people-focused organization dedicated to making a difference in the lives of others. You will be more than just an employee: You will be counted on as an expert in your field, and as a valued team member whose efforts are respected and vital to our hospice mission.
All VITAS employees commit to fulfilling their duties and responsibilities with the highest regard for professionalism, collaboration and teamwork, and an eye focused constantly on growth and improvement. We serve with commitment and compassion, and position ourselves for the future by embracing, innovating, and leading change. If you are that person, make your voice heard—find your purpose at VITAS today.
- Competitive compensation
- Health, dental, vision, life and disability insurance
- Pre-tax healthcare and dependent care flexible spending accounts
- Life insurance
- 401(k) plan with numerous investment options and generous company match
- Cancer and/or critical illness benefit
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Paid Time Off
- Employee Assistance Program
- Legal Insurance
- Roadside Assistance
- Affinity Program
Many of our positions offer the opportunity to work day or night shifts, weekdays or weekends.
Choose a Career with VITAS