Recreation Therapist- Whole Health Clinical Director
To qualify for this position, applicants must meet all requirements by the closing date of this announcement, 05/18/2021.
(a) United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
(b) English Language Proficiency: Per VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Chapter 3, Section A, Paragraph 3j: No person will be appointed under authority of 38 U.S.C., chapter 73 or 74, to serve in a direct patient-care capacity in VHA who is not proficient in written and spoken English.
(c) Education Requirement: You must have a bachelor's degree or higher, from an accredited college or university, with a major in therapeutic recreation or recreation/leisure, with an option and/or emphasis in therapeutic recreation. The degree must be approved by the National Council for Therapeutic Recreation Certification (NCTRC); OR, a bachelor's degree or higher in any field from an accredited college or university and must be a certified therapeutic recreation specialist (CTRS). The degree must be approved by the NCTRC.
(d) Certification Requirement: You must be certified in recreation therapy as a certified therapeutic recreation specialist (CTRS) by the National Council for Therapeutic Recreation Certification (NCTRC).
Supervisory Recreation Therapist (Service Chief), GS-14 Grade Requirements:
(1) Experience: At least one year of creditable experience equivalent at the next lower grade level.
(2) Demonstrated Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: In addition to the above experience above, the individual must demonstrate all the following KSAs:
- Skill in supervising, motivating, and managing a diverse clinical staff applicable to a service level department in a large, complex, or multi-division facility, including inherent strategic planning and fiscal management.
- Skill in providing authoritative advice and coordination of recreation therapy and/or creative arts therapy services across the continuum of care that may encompass multiple medical centers, including consolidated facilities or departments.
- Skill in collaborating with strategic planning committees at local, VISN, or national levels for new ventures addressing patient care delivery systems, facilities management, system reorganization, etc.
- Ability to translate extensive recreation/creative art therapy, rehabilitation, mental health, long term-care, and other specialty care knowledge areas into cogent and useful policy in complex facilities.
- Knowledge in reconciling contradictory requirements based upon regulations and standards of various regulatory and medical or other professional credentialing groups, such as The Joint Commission.
- Knowledge of pertinent analytical and evaluative methods sufficient to analyze complex issues to provide workable solutions and alternative solutions to executive leadership that support timely and sound decision making.
IMPORTANT: A transcript must be submitted with your application.
Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html.