Medical Technologist (Supervisory)
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Education: Must possess a bachelor's degree or higher from an accredited university in medical laboratory science, medical technology, clinical laboratory science or in a related science (e.g., laboratory sciences such as chemistry, biochemistry, biology, microbiology, immunology, etc.). AND completion of a medical technology clinical practice program Clinical practice programs completed after 1974 must have been accredited by the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS), Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP : or the Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES) OR
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college/university, including 16 semester hours of biological science (with 1 course in microbiology), 16 semester hours of chemistry (with 1 course in organic or biochemistry) and 1 course in mathematics AND 2 years of post-certification clinical laboratory experience (e.g., blood banking, chemistry, hematology, microbiology, immunology, clinical microscopy, etc.), within last 10 years as a certified Medical Laboratory Technician by the American Society of Clinical Pathology Board of Registry (ASCP-BOR) or American Medical Technologist (AMT). This experience must include performing moderate and/or high complexity testing in blood banking, chemistry, hematology, microbiology, immunology and clinical microscopy (or categorical experience which matches categorical certification) in a clinical laboratory OR
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college/university, including 16 semester hours of biological science (with 1 course in microbiology), 16 semester hours of chemistry (with 1 course in organic or biochemistry) and 1 course in mathematics, AND 5 years of clinical laboratory experience within last 10 years performing moderate and/or high complexity testing in blood banking, chemistry, hematology, microbiology, immunology and clinical microscopy (or categorical experience which matches categorical certification) in a clinical laboratory. Must submit a copy of transcripts.
- Certification: All candidates must currently possess the American Society of Clinical Pathology Board of Certification (ASCP-BOC), or the American Society of Clinical Pathology Board of Registry (ASCP_BOR), or the American Medical Technologists (AMT) (Must submit copy of certification)
- English Language Proficiency: Must be proficient in spoken and written English.
Preferred Experience: Bachelor's Degree or higher in Medical Laboratory Science; ASCP Certified; at least 2 years clinical experience; 3 years supervisory experience
GS-11 (Full Performance Level)
(1) Experience: At least 1 year of creditable experience equivalent to the next lower grade level (GS-9), which is directly related to the position to be filled. OR
Education: Must have 3 full years of progressively higher-level graduate education or a PH.D. or equivalent doctoral degree in medical technology or a directly related field.
(2) Certification: Candidates must currently possess the categorical or specialist technologist level certification from the certification agencies listed, such as, but not limited to, chemistry (C/SC), hematology (H,SH), blood bank (BB/SBB), etc. (Must submit copy of certification)
(3) KSAs: In addition to the experience or education above, the candidate must demonstrate the following KSAs:
a. Knowledge of Federal and state laws, regulations and accrediting/regulatory requirements in order to develop plans and procedures for the laboratory.
b. Knowledge of laboratory quality management procedures and principles sufficient to establish and monitor a laboratory quality management program and/or education and training of laboratory staff.
c. Demonstrated leadership and managerial skills including skill in interpersonal relations and conflict resolution in order to deal with employees, team leaders and managers.
d. Ability to perform the full range of supervisory duties which includes responsibility for assignment of work, performance evaluations, selection of staff, recommendation of awards, advancements and disciplinary actions.
e. Ability to plan, organize, set short and/or long term goals and conduct studies on technical and administrative problems, including personnel shortages, organizational structure, new technology, etc.
f. Knowledge of concepts, principles and methods of clinical laboratory technology and operations.
References: MAY 12, 2014 VA HANDBOOK 5005/72 PART II APPENDIX G24 II-G24-9
The full performance level of this vacancy is GS-11.
Physical Requirements: The work is normally completed in an indoor hospital/clinic setting. Required to stand, bend, stoop, lift, and kneel for long periods of time. He/she must also be able to lift heavy objects, climb ladders and stairs, and maintain self-control in difficult and stressful situations. Must be able to see colors. Working in a clinical laboratory also involves regular and recurring risks to infectious substances and irritant reagents. Required to wear protective clothing and take safety precautions. A physical examination prior to placement is required. This is a designated drug testing position. After appointment, incumbent will be subject to random testing for illegal drug use. Education
IMPORTANT: A transcript must be submitted with your application if you are basing all or part of your qualifications on education.
Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html.