Certified Nurse Assistant
POSITION SUMMARY: As a member of the interdisciplinary team the Certified Home Health Aide provides personal care services to patients and performs related tasks in the patient/family place of residence in accordance with the plan of treatment as assigned by the RN Case Manager. Duties assigned are to increase the level of comfort, and to maintain personal hygiene and a safe, healthy environment for the patient and to provide for temporary respite and relief from total care responsibilities for the primary caregiver.
REPORTS TO: Registered Nurse
Education: A high school graduate
Credentials: Current CHHA certification within the state required. Current CNA certification within the state required. Current CPR certification required.
Experience: Demonstrated experience as a home health aide or completion of an appropriate hospice orientation and training program. Demonstrated competency in performance of home health aide functions. Ability to read, write and follow directions. Ability to work with dying patients and their families
Other: Valid driver's license and auto insurance.
FUNCTIONS & RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Reports changes in the patient’s conditions and needs to the RN Case Manager or Director of Patient Care Services.
2. Observes and reports signs and symptoms of discomfort including presence of pain.
3. Provides or assists patient in bathing, care of mouth, skin, and hair.
4. Assists patients in and out of bed and assisting with ambulation.
5. Turns patients in bed and positions for comfort.
6. Assists with prescribed exercises which patients and home health aides have been taught by appropriate health personnel.
7. Assists patients with feeding.
8. Assists patients to bathroom or in using bedpan or urinal
9. Changes bed linen.
10. Observes for safety hazards in the patient’s and organization’s environments and takes appropriate steps to reduce or eliminate them.
11. Attends and participates in in-services, staff meetings.
12. Completes all documentation in an accurate and legible manner.
13. Complies with policies and procedures, laws and regulations and standards of practice. The above statements reflect the general duties considered necessary to describe the principle functions of the position as identified and shall not be considered as a detailed description of all work requirements that maybe inherent in the position.
1. Evidence of good physical and mental health.
2. Able to lift 40 lbs. from floor to waist and waist to shoulder.
3. Able to lift 25 lbs. from shoulder to overhead.
4. Able to perform patient transfers, utilizing appropriate techniques, up to 150 lbs
5. Average vision/hearing 6. Frequent bending and reaching
7. Repetitive standing, walking and use of hands.
8. Phone communication skills.
9. Able to drive a car to patient homes 2 to 4 hours per day.
Monday - Friday, 9:00 AM to 5:30 PM