To qualify for this position, applicants must meet all requirements by the closing date of this announcement, 05/12/2021.
United States Citizenship- Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
Education or Training- One year above high school with courses related to the NA occupation. Completion of an intensive, specialized, occupation-related course of study of less than one year as a nursing assistant may also meet in full the experience requirements for GS-3.
English Language Proficiency- NAs must be proficient in spoken and written English in accordance with VA Handbook 5005, part II, chapter 3, section A, paragraph 3j.
GS-3 Nursing Assistant: Experience and Education- None beyond basic requirements.
GS-4 Nursing Assistant: One year of experience as a Nursing Assistant or in another medical field; OR Education- Completion of 2 years above high school in an accredited institution with courses related to nursing care, health care or in a field of study appropriate to the specialization of the position, such as education in a program for psychology, psychiatric, or operating room technicians; AND
Demonstrated Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSAs). In addition, the candidate must demonstrate the following KSAs:
1. Ability to provide a range of patient/resident care and contribute to the completion of the nurse care plan and recovery of patients/residents.
2. Ability to observe patients/residents' or resident's physical or emotional status and refer deviations and/or problems to supervisor in a timely manner.
3. Ability to properly use equipment, materials and supplies in simple diagnostic and treatment procedures such as bladder scan, continuous passive motion device, blood glucose monitoring machine, specimen collection, etc.
4. Ability to communicate effectively with patients/residents, their families and other health professionals.
GS-5 Nursing Assistant: One year of progressively responsible assignments and experience equivalent to the GS-4 level; OR Education- Completion of a 4-year course of study above high school leading to a bachelor's degree that included 24 semester hours of courses related to health care or possession of a bachelor's degree; AND
1. Ability to assist in the full range of nursing care to patients/residents with physical and/or behavioral problems in a hospital, long term care or outpatient setting under the direction of a Registered Nurse and/or Licensed Vocational Nurse/Licensed Practical Nurse.
2. Ability to communicate orally with patients/residents, families, interdisciplinary team and other personnel. This includes serving as a preceptor to new NAs by assisting with the coordination of their orientation and overseeing/assessing their practical experience while in a clinical setting.
3. Ability to recognize and react to emergent patient/resident care situations and intervene while waiting for assistance. For example, recognizing need for basic life support, controlling bleeding and assisting with behavior crisis, etc
Preferred Experience: 2 years Nursing Home or inpatient hospital experience, ventilator experience and AHA approved BLS
References: VA Handbook 5005 - http://vaww.va.gov/OHRM/Directives-Handbooks/Documents/5005.pdf. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
Physical Requirements: Heavy lifting (45 pounds and over), straight pulling (3 hours), pushing (3 hours), reaching above shoulder, use of fingers, both hands required, walking (7 hours), standing (7 hours), kneeling, repeated bending (4 hours), both legs required, ability for rapid mental and muscular coordinating simultaneously, near vision correctable at 13" to 16" to Jaeger 1 to 4, far vision correctable in one eye to 20/20 and to 20/40 in the other, depth perception, ability to distinguish basic colors, hearing (aid permitted), mental and emotional stability required. Education
IMPORTANT: A transcript must be submitted with your application if you are basing all or part of your qualifications on education.
Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html.