Geriatric Nurse - Emergency Department - RN
Purpose: Geriatric Emergency Nurse ensures integrated, high quality care of older adult patients into daily operations using a multidisciplinary team approach at the DHMC Emergency Department (ED) and at partner sites via telehealth. Key Responsibilities:
- In collaboration with nurse program manager, medical director, and lead geriatrician provides oversight of day-to-day operations of the Geriatric ED in relation to geriatric emergency care for older adult patients and support to their families/caregivers.
- Serves as a content and resource expert for patients’ families and interdisciplinary team members in management of geriatric patients.
- Keeps apprised of and implements use of established and emerging evidence-based best practices in geriatric emergency care and core geriatric competencies.
- Conducts geriatric assessments using validated screening tools and interprets results.
- Communicates assessment findings and recommends interventions/plans to appropriate physicians and/or staff.
- Identifies high-risk patients for facilitation of appropriate interdisciplinary follow up.
- Maintains an understanding of regulatory requirements and available resources for care and support of the geriatric patient.
- Collaborates with members of interdisciplinary team and community agencies to obtain, provide, and exchange information related to patient’s health care needs.
- Assists with transitions of care of the emergency department geriatric patient back into their residence or other facilities.
- Provides support, education, and counselling to patients and family members to decrease inappropriate admission and repeat emergency visits including coordination of “family meetings” to establish or review patient’s goals of care.
- Performs post ED discharge telephone calls to ensure understanding of discharge instructions, referrals, and care recommendations.
- Participates in planning, development and execution of rapid tests of change for quality improvement initiatives.
- Develops and delivers education of key concepts, principles and best practices in geriatric emergency medicine care and care coordination.
- Assists in data collection as needed.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Nursing, or in a related field, with 3 years of experience
- Strong problem solving skills with demonstrated skills to define scope and processes.
- Strong interpersonal, organizational, and communication skills; ability to work within a collaborative team environment; ability to communicate effectively and respectfully to a diverse community.
- Ability to coordinate and prioritize multiple tasks at once required
- Must be skilled in the use of MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Registered Nurse in the state of New Hampshire.
- Must have been a Registered Nurse for 3 years.