Nurse Practitioner (Psychiatric Mental Health)
Applicants pending the completion of educational or certification/licensure requirements may be referred and tentatively selected but may not be hired until all requirements are met.
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- English Language Proficiency. In accordance with 38 U.S.C. 7402(d), no person shall serve in direct patient care positions unless they are proficient in basic written and spoken English.
- Must possess a Master's Degree in Nursing with an emphasis as a Nurse Practitioner from a school of professional nursing that was accredited by the State agency, and accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN; http://www.acenursing.org) formally, the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC) or the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE; http://www.aacn.nche.edu) at the time you completed the program
- Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
- Must possess a current, full, active and unrestricted certification as a nurse practitioner from the American Nurses Association or another nationally recognized certifying body
Grade Determinations: The following criteria must be met in determining the grade assignment of candidates, and if appropriate, the level within a grade:
- Nurse I Level III - A Master's degree in nursing (MSN) or related field with a BSN and no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse II - A Master's degree in nursing or related field with a BSN and approximately 1-2 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse III - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience.
Physical Requirements: Use of Fingers, Both hands required, Ability to see computer screen, Hearing (Aid may be permitted).
Environmental Factors: Sillica and asbestos, etc., Working closely with others; Working alone. Education
IMPORTANT: A transcript must be submitted with your application if you are basing all or part of your qualifications on education.
Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html.